• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I got hot under the collar about the old mans graveyard (Auckland) calling up their boshing foreign reformed wicket keeper (Phil Mustard) for a Plunket Shield game as an injury replacement when O'Donnell was still around squad as13th man.

I then started to rant about their whole management's ability to coordinate when he was also missing from the A and U19 tourneys after xmas. But Kippax subsequently found out he was on OE.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
I got hot under the collar about the old mans graveyard (Auckland) calling up their boshing foreign reformed wicket keeper (Phil Mustard) for a Plunket Shield game as an injury replacement when O'Donnell was still around squad as13th man.

I then started to rant about their whole management's ability to coordinate when he was also missing from the A and U19 tourneys after xmas. But Kippax subsequently found out he was on OE.
I see :) Hopefully he gets some regular game time under Matt Horne then.

I only just realised his dad was the former Akl coach Mark O'Donnell. Akl seem to have quite a few promosing batsmen coming through now.

Keen update: :detective

A double change of bowling soon ensued and Bedlinog revealed their trump card, one Simon Keen, a former Australia U19 captain with Australia A representative honours and whose last assignment down under was with Sydney Thunder in the 20/20 Big Bash opening the batting with Chris Gayle.

He could also bowl at a velocity not seen at the LCG for quite a while too. Wharton soon fell, playing on to Keen and when Michell lost a full toss to be bowled out strode the experienced A Dewfield to join Baxter....When battle resumed Llanarth grabbed the initiative immediately as Lomax (3-39) struck in his first over and followed that up with 2 more quick wickets.

Banaras (2-25) then induced a false stroke that was spectacularly caught one handed by Vaughan at point and Bedlinog had slumped to 24-4, though Keen was watching the damage being done from the non-strikers end.

The Aussie took a couple of deliveries to 'have a look' before settling into his task by taking a quartet of boundaries from a single Lomax over as watching spectators were treated to an exhibition of Big Bash hitting.

Captain Powell thought it time for a spot of twirl, brought himself into the attack and was greeted with a pair a biffs, from Keen, to the long off and long on boundaries. Spencer had the dubious honour of bowling from the Road End and disappeared over it for a couple of sixes as all wondered what needed to be done to stop this one man demolition job.

Thankfully a more familiar game was being played whenever Keen wasn't on strike and the strategy had to be "get the other guys out" to which spin maestro Powell delivered the goods with a triple wicket maiden leaving the Trees one wicket from victory.

Keen had bashed 72, with 66 in boundaries, when Powell enticed him out of his ground to be expertly stumped by Michell thus ending an extraordinary innings from a very talented cricketer.

Last edited:

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Yeah Immenso was hot about that with O'Donnell. Turned out he was on an OE in the UK for a year.

Kippax also found out about the Hong Kong U19 kid Mark Chapman at the same time; recovering from a serious knee injury.

New Zealand Cricket - BLACKCAPS heading to holiday destinations[/QUOTE

Hear that apart from O'Donnell Auckland has another N Z U 19 youngster in Ben Horne and rue losing Simon Hickey to Rugby. Chapman played for HK in the 2010 U 19 ICC World Cup having just finished Year 10 at school in Auckland. Born in HK but holds a Kiwi passport. .Went on to play for HK at International level at age 16. Has a healthy List A batting average and bowls spin .Making his way back after injury and reportedly planning to play club in Auckland this season.Has anyone seen him play? Guess he will feature in the CWC Associate Qualifier in N Z in January.

Mark Chapman raring to go for Hong Kong

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
He moved to Sydney and worked as a financial services consultant, something he'll continue on the side in Auckland.

New Zealand Cricket | Bruce Edgar returns | Stuff.co.nz
Interesting that Bruce Edgar is not full time, though getting Edgar in looks an excellent move, been out of the country so limited baggage (hopefully), satsfies the 80's players

Frustrated New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White is preparing to fly to India in an attempt to nail down an itinerary for their troublesome tour in January-February.

Cricket | David White presses India for tour commitment... | Stuff.co.nz
I see that going down like a cup of cold sick in India, they dont know who there chairman is, they have not sorted out there next tour to RSA but David White is on a mission.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Chapman played for HK in the 2010 U 19 ICC World Cup having just finished Year 10 at school in Auckland. Born in HK but holds a Kiwi passport. .Went on to play for HK at International level at age 16. Has a healthy List A batting average and bowls spin .Making his way back after injury and reportedly planning to play club in Auckland this season.Has anyone seen him play? Guess he will feature in the CWC Associate Qualifier in N Z in January.
SteveNZ had seen Chapman bat - a very technically correct style he said.

Cricket: Edgar replaces Littlejohn - Sport - NZ Herald News

Edgar will have the senior call in decisions on selection for New Zealand A and age group teams, while Hesson has the final say in the national men's team. His philosophy on players is straightforward.

"People who have good techniques, batsmen who can play off back and front foot, bowlers who can execute on a consistent basis. I like to see multi-dimensional players who have good game sense and the ability to think on the spot."
He met Hesson earlier this year, liked what he saw and heard and was impressed by the players when he met them at a function last March.

"I liked Mike's philosophy on what he was doing and how he was building the team, trying to get a culture there. I thought, 'What a fine bunch of young men,' and being involved at that level had some real appeal."

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Heard he has a British passport and is likely to go to UK.
Yeah born in Hong Kong before 1997, sounds correct. Should've guessed a life with Munners and CdG probably wasn't in his future, and that he could easily consider claiming the upgrade that any sharp young **** considers these days.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah Immenso was hot about that with O'Donnell. Turned out he was on an OE in the UK for a year.

Kippax also found out about the Hong Kong U19 kid Mark Chapman at the same time; recovering from a serious knee injury.

New Zealand Cricket - BLACKCAPS heading to holiday destinations[/QUOTE

Hear that apart from O'Donnell Auckland has another N Z U 19 youngster in Ben Horne and rue losing Simon Hickey to Rugby. Chapman played for HK in the 2010 U 19 ICC World Cup having just finished Year 10 at school in Auckland. Born in HK but holds a Kiwi passport. .Went on to play for HK at International level at age 16. Has a healthy List A batting average and bowls spin .Making his way back after injury and reportedly planning to play club in Auckland this season.Has anyone seen him play? Guess he will feature in the CWC Associate Qualifier in N Z in January.

Mark Chapman raring to go for Hong Kong
I played against him at 1st XI level a couple of years ago. He was batting in the middle order from memory. He looked ok I thought before we got him out. He bowled a few overs to me in the same game and didn't show too much with the ball. Times may have changed but he didn't look anything more than a part time bowler.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Rutherford had already negotiated his early exit for the CLT20 apparently, so this dropping is really only denying him two weeks or so.

He could probably do with a mental break tbf, but yeah, don't be biffing it to mid-off more than twice (in a way that would make CdG proud apparently) in county cricket, where middle-aged and elderly people actually turn up and pay you well and care and stuff. The permissive tricks-turning skank of a FC scene here in NZ is the one you want for that carry-on. :p

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Forgot Rutherford was playing county cricket and just checked out his performances for the season. Looks like he's done some useful limited-overs biffing but has been left out of 4-day games or has struggled when included.

5 and 0 when Essex were bowled out for 20 :-O in the second innings (Rutherford caught at mid-off, guess that's what Kippax referring to) and 24 in his most recent match. As I've come to expect from Rutherford, lots of single digit scores in between the better innings, in the limited-overs matches too.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
he's just not that good and has already been found out in a Hughes-esque manner IMO
While I think you're writing off Rutherford far too early considering his youth, the Hughes comparison is as clear as the Rutherfordian nose on his face. Rutherford's game needs a trajectory away from being the lefty over-reliant on the slash that gets caught in the slips for a lot of single-digit scores.

Plenty of Hughes' problems are mental anyway, so Rutherford is by no means doomed to go down that path.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
While I think you're writing off Rutherford far too early considering his youth, the Hughes comparison is as clear as the Rutherfordian nose on his face. Rutherford's game needs a trajectory away from being the lefty over-reliant on the slash that gets caught in the slips for a lot of single-digit scores.

Plenty of Hughes' problems are mental anyway, so Rutherford is by no means doomed to go down that path.
He's not that young. He's 24. But I agree with you anyway. I think he is a fighter. He will go better against teams who don't have a video analyst as good as England's. Somehow they figured him out to a tee. His ball striking is simply excellent and that will take him a long way.