• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree and definitely No. Has made massive strides with his bowling in the last 12 months that makes me think it's possible he could be in the top 4 seamers in the country in the future, but currently don't even know if he'd make top 10.
It has to be Bennett. That gives us a great balance with two swing bowlers, a left-arm 1st change and a quick bounce bowler. I think we can all agree Ish is surplus for Wellington

Mike5181

International Captain
Neesham's averaging around 80 with the bat and 25 with the ball this season. Can't ask for much more than that.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yep. The time for Jimmy 'the romney lamb, with the neck of a llama and the eyes of a shark' Neesham will come.

(courtesy of Jeremy Wells)

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Squad has already been named anyway, what are you guys on about?

Bennett in for Bracewell, Latham in for Ryder.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really? I thought it was named tomorrow. Though we seem to be quite good at leaking the names of the squad members to the media prior to every squad being named atm anyway. So Latham and Bennett it is. Thumbs up, though I don't want Latham in the middle order if Taylor is out.

(this should go in the NZ India thread really)

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Haha, there's been opportunities galore for years for NZ domestic batsmen to find themselves playing for NZ. It's better now that there are fewer opportunities (unless you're an opener) as at least you get to bat for NZ alongside a couple of guys that know what they're doing.
Ha! True. Amazing how quickly the 'status quo' of a settled 3 to 6, with Ryder to potentially fit back in - became the status quo in my mind.

Only happened in October when Anderson shifted Brownlie.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
This is a big innings for Craig Cachopa, if he can stare Auckland home, it will be one of those performing under pressure innings that the selectors love so he push for a NZA spot ahead of his brother.

Flem274*

123/5
barring more knb shenanigans otago might just do this. nethula hasn't done anything in ages, ajaz is raw, rance was a long way down the pecking order and small isn't bowling for whatever reason.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
barring more knb shenanigans otago might just do this. nethula hasn't done anything in ages, ajaz is raw, rance was a long way down the pecking order and small isn't bowling for whatever reason.
They migh make it to stumps, but there's no way they'll win it.

Flem274*

123/5
not with derek d's current strike rate no

i wonder if the two opening bowlers will bat? if they can, otago should go for it since they still have craig to come.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If we're going to go with 4 seamers, I wouldn't pick Neesh just because he's made runs. The odds are that it's going to be a result pitch at the Basin, especially given all the rain that's been around over the last 4 days, so I wouldn't bet on him to make a huge impression with the bat. We want the 4 bowlers most likely to take wickets - is Neesham one of those?
Agree and definitely No. Has made massive strides with his bowling in the last 12 months that makes me think it's possible he could be in the top 4 seamers in the country in the future, but currently don't even know if he'd make top 10.
I disagree quite strongly, tbh.

1. Southee, Wagner, Boult took all the wickets in the first test. I'm really not sure that it's necessary for another strike bowler. What we were really missing was someone who could maintain the pressure, and I think Neesham could easily be that guy.

2. There's also Anderson who can fluke the odd wicket too. The side is already very strong in regards to pace bowling. A strike bowler as 4th seamer shouldn't be necessary.

3. Taylor out for Latham, as much as I heart Latham, significantly weakens the batting. We will need a very strong tail, and Neesham certainly provides this.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree with that. For a guy who's taken a lot of wickets, Neesham's economy rate is quite poor this season (3.66 - compared to 3.3 for Bennett, 3.2 for Henry, 3.1 for Wagner, 3 for Wheeler etc.). Throw in his licorice all sorts from the ODI's and I wouldn't be relying on him to keep things tight. I agree that he has a good chance though, especially if Taylor is gone. Will the selectors really want to replace Sodhi's FC batting average of 20 odd with Bennett's FC average of 8?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Disagree with that. For a guy who's taken a lot of wickets, Neesham's economy rate is quite poor this season (3.66 - compared to 3.3 for Bennett, 3.2 for Henry, 3.1 for Wagner, 3 for Wheeler etc.). Throw in his licorice all sorts from the ODI's and I wouldn't be relying on him to keep things tight. I agree that he has a good chance though, especially if Taylor is gone. Will the selectors really want to replace Sodhi's FC batting average of 20 odd with Bennett's FC average of 8?
Boult is a fine Test number 10 tbh.

#BestNumber11inHistory

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Neesham's economy in ODIs is partly due to him being a death bowler and not getting a shot with the new ball.

I think if you gave him the job as a 4th seamer rather than a third seamer in domestic cricket he'd be pretty tight. He's perhaps not as good as Bennett or Henry, but I think in this lineup he'd be more valuable.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Look like Central are about to win the battle of the injury-reduced 'B' bowling attacks.

... and it's over.

Otago to be unimpressed having declared their first innings at 271/3.