• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey ease up, no one plays the cover drive from outside leg stump like Andy does. .
He's almost as adept at that shot as Gillespie is at the french cut. It's good to have a scoring option to fall back on - something that Martin Guptill apparently doesn't have.

Blocky

Banned
Maybe, but Southee and Boult won't be available for domestic duty very often and Aldridge will be 37 by next season. Looking at the other guys in the ND stable (Verma, Kuggs etc.) I reckon Small wouldn't have too much difficulty nailing down a spot.
To be honest though, ND's promotion of junior talent in the last few years has been absolutely horrid and due to that, guys like Kuggelign and Mathieson had to look elsewhere for their opportunities. You've still got Aldridge, Baker, Kuggelign, Verma and a few guys in the A scene who are knocking on doors. There is also a good lot of junior talent coming through at the moment who have been in the ND Age Group stuff for the past few years and due to players like Mitchell offering something with the ball and the recent tendency of ND to pick two spinners in their side, there isn't a hell of a lot of room there.

Do I think he's highly talented? Yeah. But I don't think he walks into the ND side, probably harder for him than the CD side.

Nah, i do reckon ND and Otago players have a slight advantage, just because Bradburn and Hesson were involved with the sides until recently, although its not anything near as bad as we make it out. Case in point; Devcich probably wouldn't have gotten on the A tour if he wasn't one of Bradburn's favourites.
I'll concede you may have a point due to the coaching units and I hate Devvy as much as any rational cricketer, but he was coming off a pretty handy season for the Knights and had also been able to contribute some spin bowling, handy for the sub continent where they toured. He then showed enough in that series considering we were resting talent and had injuries to get himself a birth in the Black Caps side. I don't really have much qualms with his selection there.

Otago, the main advantage is working with the best coach in the country.

BC_fan_abored

School Boy/Girl Captain
Latham definitely not a solution to the Blackcaps strike rotation problem. 68 of his runs from just 17 deliveries out of 123.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Latham definitely not a solution to the Blackcaps strike rotation problem. 68 of his runs from just 17 deliveries out of 123.
He's played some different innings though. Some of them have been much more single-laden.

If you look at a typical Ryder domestic innings it's pretty chocka with boundaries, but if the ball is there to hit, you just have to hit it. We know Ryder doesn't have a strike rotation problem.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
With only Henry as an established threatening bowler, and with Bennett on black caps duty, I'm not sure how good this Canterbury attack will be at the oval. Should be some easy runs for Rutherford.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He's had a habit of doing that this season. What started out looking like a nation-wide batting paradise has turned into a very good day for the no-rounders like de Grandhomme and KNB.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I would think that Wager is a lock for at least the first test unless Bennett takes 6/20 at Eden Park on saturday.

Flem274*

123/5
Finally ND play Verma. Noted Howsie backed batting superstar Bharat Popli lbw to KNB for sod all.

Hay back, Small back, KNB at six, Wheeler and Dougeh taking the new ball. All is well.

khodder

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Finally ND play Verma. Noted Howsie backed batting superstar Bharat Popli lbw to KNB for sod all.

Hay back, Small back, KNB at six, Wheeler and Dougeh taking the new ball. All is well.
Popli is now averaging 96 in First Class Cricket though...

khodder

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
not outs lower down the order early in your career will do that.
They do. The above comment made firmly with tounge in cheek.

That said I do think he has the talent, drive, patience and class to create a long first class career for himself at 4/5 in the ND order.

Flem274*

123/5
@ howsie: high score: 48*

no ones saying he won't be a good player but your overhyping of hawke cup and hamilton club cricketers as the next domestic gods is reaching self parody levels, especially since you change your tune as soon as they leave and now seem to be in line with your once hated ex-coach.

looks like kugglejuggle is having some fun. good on wellington for giving him a chance a few years back rather than letting him straggle behind the mighty brandon hiini forever.