• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia a country with no culture: David Gower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tromperie

Cricket Spectator
At least Gower said it, and not Gough or Flintoff; both the latter two are thick enough to serve as planks in the hull of a convict transportation ship.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Truly a classy on drive of truth from Lord Gower there.

The closest most Aussies I've known have gotten to culture is accidentally switching to a classical music station in their Holden SS ute thinking it's the classic rock channel prompting a "What the ****? this ain't Cold Chisel!" outburst.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I actually find this highly offensive, and whether he was attempting to be deliberately provocative or not, the fact he felt he was able to use phrases that have blatantly racial undertones and incredibly dark histories ("animal mentality", feral humans) is hugely disappointing and something he should be widely criticised for (which won't happen).

On a personal level, my opinion of him has fundamentally altered and all respect (which was not inconsiderable) is gone. The point that Gower will almost certainly fail to appreciate is that these statements reveal a lot more about him and a certain class of Englishmen (neo-colonial, bred into a privileged society marked by the white man's burden) than they do about those he seeks to ridicule.

Post-script: hmm, just looked up his Wikipedia page and it turns out he was born and raised in colonial Africa. Words are marked by history. You should think about that Mr Gower.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
I actually find this highly offensive, and whether he was attempting to be deliberately provocative or not, the fact he felt he was able to use phrases that have blatantly racial undertones and incredibly dark histories ("animal mentality", feral humans) is hugely disappointing and something he should be widely criticised for (which won't happen).

On a personal level, my opinion of him has fundamentally altered and all respect (which was not inconsiderable) is gone. The point that Gower will almost certainly fail to appreciate is that these statements reveal a lot more about him and a certain class of Englishmen (neo-colonial, bred into a privileged society marked by the white man's burden) than they do about those he seeks to ridicule.

Post-script: hmm, just looked up his Wikipedia page and it turns out he was born and raised in colonial Africa. Words are marked by history. You should think about that Mr Gower.
Some big words used there. Sure you're from Australia? :whistling

BeeGee

International Captain
The point that Gower will almost certainly fail to appreciate is that these statements reveal a lot more about him and a certain class of Englishmen (neo-colonial, bred into a privileged society marked by the white man's burden) than they do about those he seeks to ridicule.
Of course. All he's done is embarrass himself. And the only people who won't see that are other ignorant fools. It's not worth getting upset about mate.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Maaaaate I've left pizza in the fridge too long before so dont go preaching to me.
There's more to culture than reading all of Chopper's books and having more than one friend with a nickname that isn't just their first name with the "o" appended to it mate. Come back to me when you've got a stubby holder from the Sydney Opera House and we'll talk :dry:

Status
Not open for further replies.