• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashraful suspended amid fixing probe

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez. Used to have a soft spot for Ashraful even though he was ridiculed so much. WAC.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always liked Ashraful, probably because his career reminded me of Frank Hayes' - it doesn't any more

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That he could still sell underperformances to betting syndicates speaks of a wonderful optimism in Bangladesh.

grecian

This explains everything, he's been selling under-performances for years, must be richer than Bill Gates.

BeeGee

International Captain
Genuinely disappointed by this news. The other players and officials involved in fixing up until now have all been ****s who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. But I liked Ashraful. Very disappointed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At what point do we ban India until they sort their **** out?
Unfortunately only when the other countries can make enough money so India aren't as critical. Even Australia's latest TV rights deal relies a lot on the Indian market buying their rights.

These illegal bookies are such ****s. Just legalise and regulate ffs.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Always had a soft corner for Ashraful and thought that he had turned a corner with the recent 190 against Sri Lanka. Disappointing to say the least.

Also, surely just legalizing betting is not going to solve the issue. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing fixing in European football right? Suggestions of banning India till we legalize betting seems more like a soft target which will surely not solve this issue considering some of the forces behind match fixing in cricket.

HeathDavisSpeed

Always had a soft corner for Ashraful and thought that he had turned a corner with the recent 190 against Sri Lanka. Disappointing to say the least.

Also, surely just legalizing betting is not going to solve the issue. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing fixing in European football right? Suggestions of banning India till we legalize betting seems more like a soft target which will surely not solve this issue considering some of the forces behind match fixing in cricket.
Legalising doesn't solve the problem, but it makes it a lot easier to track unusual betting activities and patterns in order to find matches which have been fixed and root out the issues.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Legalising doesn't solve the problem, but it makes it a lot easier to track unusual betting activities and patterns in order to find matches which have been fixed and root out the issues.
I get what you are saying. I am all for making betting legal. I just find this argument of banning India till we legalize betting ridiculous. So we ban India, India legalizes betting and if we still have match fixing what is the next step? Do we ban India till they arrest all illegal bookies or something like that?

Also a genuine question about betting. Would legalizing betting stop illegal betting?