• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing confessions

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
See title for clarification of title.

I actually enjoy Mark Nicholas' commentary

Yes, yes, he's a total plum-in-mouth ponce with pretensions to actual journalism, but the guy at least has insights on the game and can express it in more than one syllable at a time. Not overly biased, has an occasional turn of phrase that's easy on the ear, and has upended the glass ceiling for selection criteria on Channel Nine of not having to be an ex-Test captain with a proven record of using the baggy green as a marital aid.

His articles on Cricinfo are pretty good reading, too. Erudite bloke.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like him too, tries a bit too hard at times to be all things to all men, but imo generally he gets far too much stick.

Mind you if zaremba still posted regularly I wouldn't stick my head above the parapet like this :ph34r:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not a fan of Nicholas -
a) saying the names of australian cricket grounds such as the Gabba with the same reverence as one says lords is off putting.
b) his raw bias towards australian icon players because he realises who his audience and employer is and we don't know what his real opinion is. If he didn't have an accent you would think he was an ocker.

I do like Bill Lawry an awful lot so that would be my confession from the channel nine team I basically grew up with him.

jan

State Vice-Captain
I am the only one from my club who takes shower after training in the nets.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sometimes I don't watch a match, and then tell people what happened based on what I read about it on cw.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I actually like Ravi Bopara and Jade Dernbach, and it pains me to watch them perform like ***** when they've got an England shirt on.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was once run out due to my own fault, but I turned around and glared at the other batsmen and acted pissed off. He bought it and apologized to me later.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I don't walk when I know I'm out. Has saved my wicket on more than occasion. Of course, my wicket doesn't mean much at all.

BeeGee

International Captain
I was keeping in a game and during a run out attempt I dropped the ball before I broke the stumps, but I still appealed for the run out and the umpire gave the batsman out (I had my back to the umpire at square leg so he didn't see the drop). My captain saw what happened and called the batsman back. I felt like a cheating prick. Latter in the same innings the exact same thing happened (I was having a bad day with the gloves). I didn't appeal but the rest of my team mates did and, to my surprise, the umpire gave the batsman out. I walked over to my captain and asked it we should call the batsman back and he said "**** no. I hate that prick." I felt better after that.

And then this one time, at band camp...

Last edited: