• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing confessions

the big bambino

International Captain
My mate and I once played for our school's old boys team. At 19 we were the youngest amongst men. Our captain always batted us at 10 and 11 fielded us in the deep and had us umpiring all the time. We sucked it up for a while then plotted to give the bastard out as quickly as we could.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have more than a passing regard for Darrell Hair, both as a decision maker and as a man of principle.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I refused to walk in a game of backyard cricket after being clean bowled

Later the same evening my missus hit me for a few runs so I decided to try and bowl a bouncer at her. She had a bruise on her shin the next day.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In the spirit of the OP, and with a blush of shame...

I think Mark Nicholas is a really good writer

But I can't bear to write the above without reiterating that as a commentator, he's terrible, awful, and hideous. As someone once said (and I know I've posted this before), he is "laminated in a veneer of self-regard".

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In the spirit of the OP, and with a blush of shame...

I think Mark Nicholas is a really good writer

But I can't bear to write the above without reiterating that as a commentator, he's terrible, awful, and hideous. As someone once said (and I know I've posted this before), he is "laminated in a veneer of self-regard".
:laugh:

Agree 100%. A pompous, shameless, brown-nosing ****, for whom everything is "special" or "massive". As one dimensional a commentator as Bill or Tony, without the likeability of either.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I assume he's talking about gully cricket. Nobody bothers with umpires, unless it's a proper tape ball match.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not a cricket confession but a mate and I both played for our town's Rugby League U13 rep team when we were 14 and we still got hammered when we went to places like Wigan, Widnes and Hull.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
1. I'm Australian and except for the ashes I always support the other team - I've been doing this since 2005 (aged 10).
2. 2 years ago I was playing terribly, was about to give up the game. Then first ball I nicked it behind, everyone went up, umpire said not out, I made 25 no (we lost) but my interest in cricket was revitalized and I now love the game more than ever.
3. I love spin bowling so much, that I always hope the seamers get smashed and taken off when I'm watching cricket.

thierry henry

International Coach
Once when I was about 14 I took a good catch in the outfield, then looked down and realised I was standing over the boundary. While standing completely still (must've been obvious I had either safely completed the catch or was already over the line) I lamely lobbed it back inside the boundary (not having the presence of mind to do it in a way that I could run back in and catch) and the batsmen took 1 run.

Out of what I suppose was a combination of embarrassment and annoyance at not being rewarded for my catch, I claimed that I hadn't gone over the line and the batsman was only given 1 run.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reading the Ramdin thread you'd think the thought of doing such things would never cross CWers minds :p

uvelocity

International Coach
nah **** even i played indoor cricket last night (used to play heaps but just fill in now) we were smashing them so when old mate wandered out of his crease thinking it was over i knocked the bails off but withdrew my appeal straight away. #fairplay