• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel Nine retain Australian cricket broadcasting rights

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Another couple of summers of Mark Micholas, Tubbs, Heals & Slats, with the odd cameo from Richie, Bill and Chappelli..

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon they'll add some new blood this summer, or at least they should....

Red

No more ex players, though. Get a professional broadcaster in, someone with some actual broadcasting talent.
Tim Lane or Drew Morphett imo. Also wouldn't mind Gideon Haigh. Someone with a brain, and Haigh sounds good when he talks. Could be a sort of Christopher Martin Jenkins thing.

I don't mind any of Taylor, Healy and Slater, but it turns in to a bit of a wankfest when they're all on.

Ideal team would be Tim Lane, Gideon Haigh plus one of Taylor, Slater and Healy.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Seriously pyrrhic victory, though - Ten bid them up to twice what they were paying before and who also got the Big Bash anyway.

Nice position for CA in an Ashes year, though. $500 million cash in hand plus full grounds against the Poms. Now if they just ditched Maxwell's central contact they could solve world hunger.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cricket Australia would be mighty pleased considering the negative press the game has received in the last 2 years. They got a damn good deal out of this with Ch 9 and of course Big Bash with Ch 10.

Spikey

dont see any big changes to the team for the ashes. there was talk they might go back to 2 commentators during a stint, instead of 3, though

Spikey

Press Conference Update:

- Sutherland sounds unwell
- cricket is part of 9's DNA count: 2

Spikey

Cricket Australia ‏@CricketAus 1m

All international and #BBL matches will be live on free-to-air TV. There will be no more blackouts in host cities. #CAMediaRights

congrats on joining sydney in the 21st century, Perth Brisbane Hobart etc

Spikey

- cricket is part of 9's DNA count: 3

"CA is also still in talks on radio and domestic cricket rights for competitions such as the RYOBI One-Day Cup."

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cricket Australia would be mighty pleased considering the negative press the game has received in the last 2 years. They got a damn good deal out of this with Ch 9 and of course Big Bash with Ch 10.
This was the easy part for Cricket Australia. They're under huge pressure now to improve their product in the national team and improve it rapidly. Nine payed well over the odds to retain the rights. They're going to have to do everything they can to get a return on the money they've payed. If the national team continues to serve up the rubbish it has over the last 4 years then Nine will be applying the blow torch on Cricket Australia.

One bit of positive press for the first time in years doesn't change these facts. The national team is rubbish, the system is broken and the cricketing public don't like the players (them about to get a pay rise won't help this). The ball is well and truly in your court now Sutherland. Time to deliver the full product. No pressure.

watson

Banned
I do miss listening to the voices of John Arlott then Alan McGilvray. Doesn't get any better I think.

the big bambino

International Captain
The thought of Tim Lane, Gideon Haigh and Drew Morphett makes me lose my lunch. The 1st is a moralising ****, the second a pompous word spout and the last a crawling, barking suck puppy. Of the lot Haigh is a good read but comes over so condescendingly on camera you find yourself waking out of the red mist pointing a gun at the smoking hole in the middle of the tv set.

But yeah, all a better alternative than the 9 commentators.

burr

State Vice-Captain
^ I loved Tim Land on radio when he used to be with the ABC - so superior to anything they've had since. I'd prefer him to go back to radio, but if not, like the idea of him on Channel 9. Anyway, great news that cricket will be free to air, particularly when you think of the UK.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's no chance ever that Lane, Haigh or Morphett would end up on Channel 9.

Their (Channel Nine) product won't be any better, it will be designed to attract a bigger audience so that they get a return on their investment. Similarly, the push to gain further control over the schedule.

Red

The thought of Tim Lane, Gideon Haigh and Drew Morphett makes me lose my lunch. The 1st is a moralising ****, the second a pompous word spout and the last a crawling, barking suck puppy. Of the lot Haigh is a good read but comes over so condescendingly on camera you find yourself waking out of the red mist pointing a gun at the smoking hole in the middle of the tv set.

But yeah, all a better alternative than the 9 commentators.
:happy:

Tim Lane is good. Clear, concise, and doesn't let his desire to be heard override the sport he's commentating.
Haigh is great on air imo. Smart, uses less wordy words when he talks than when he writes. Appreciates the subtlety of test cricket.
Morphett is just good vibes. Enthusiastic dude who loves calling sport. Doesn't let his ego get in the road of the job at hand.

Spikey

hey guys heres a joke i came up with:

"it appears to me that daniel christian is struggling to meet the key performance indicators required from an all-rounder. perhaps he could benefit from a stint in the ruck"