• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel Nine retain Australian cricket broadcasting rights

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not sure how they would fare as TV commentators, but I enjoy hearing about cricket from guys like Craddock, Conn, Coward, Haigh, Lane etc much more than I do from most former players such as Taylor, Healy, Lawry, Benaud, Slater etc (guys like Atherton, Hussain are the rare exceptions)

Former players are as a general rule lacking in analysis, and also are loathe to criticise people/teams who they are close to
Better value after hours, but I don't really see what any of them would bring in a commentary sense.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Was it Channel Four which did the FTA coverage in 2005? Their coverage was ok wasn't it?
Sure was and SBS's rebroadcasting of it over here was excellent too. We were most fortunate in that series, probably the best coverage all round of any cricket series I've watched. Wont be so fortunate this year me thinks........

So, I know this is slightly off topic for this thread, but does anyone have any idea what FTA coverage of the Ashes in Eng we'll get in Oz yet?? My understanding is Sky has the rights but have sold rebroadcasting rights to Ch Nein???

My question is, will Ch 9 show every session live?? I've got my doubts, even with their extra digital channels I'm sure repeats of Two and Half Men and the Block are more important to them in prime time than the cricket. Would an away series come under the crazy anti-syphoning laws?? Laws that are supposed to protect sport on FTA but in most cases **** it up for the sports fan.

If anyone has any insight into this I'd love to hear about.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was so disappointed when I heard 9 had retained the rights. For starters, it's another few years of that Drongo Nicholas hosting, secondly we have to listen to Benaud carry on about the 1959 tourning team which nobody cares about. We also have to listen to Bi-polar Slater and monotone Taylor continually jibe each other. Please...fresh blood please!!!! It's pretty amazing when they show highlights of 1970s matches and it's the exact same commentary team with the exact same stories.

smash84

The Tiger King
I was so disappointed when I heard 9 had retained the rights. For starters, it's another few years of that Drongo Nicholas hosting, secondly we have to listen to Benaud carry on about the 1959 tourning team which nobody cares about. We also have to listen to Bi-polar Slater and monotone Taylor continually jibe each other. Please...fresh blood please!!!! It's pretty amazing when they show highlights of 1970s matches and it's the exact same commentary team with the exact same stories.
Well, it is interesting to hear about the 1959 tour. Benaud brings with him so much history of the game. It is unmatched. How can you not like him around?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I can't take this post seriously when there's no mention of that dire **** Healy.

Wonder why that is?

Mister Wright

Well, it is interesting to hear about the 1959 tour. Benaud brings with him so much history of the game. It is unmatched. How can you not like him around?
When you've heard the story of the 1959 touring team 5 times a year for 30+ years it gets very meh.

Mister Wright

not a queenslander. nb mr wrong does not object to healy
Healy, like Chappelli and the others is also terrible, just not as bad.

I look forward to the one dayers and we finally get Brayshaw, adds something different which is great.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, gotta love JB.

As opposed to bagging someone about a mental health issue, I'd say that's just really ****ing low.