• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who are exceptional in one format and dire in another

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I will rule out T20 as its not really a thing yet, and wasn't even around for most of the names mentioned here.

Good in tests but not ODIs

Laxman
Lara
Langer
Steve Waugh
Ganguly
Gavaskar
Ajay Jadeja
Shane Warne

Good in ODIs but not Tests

Yuvraj Singh
Raina
Ravinder Jadeja
James Faulkner
Shane Watson
David Miller
Vaughan
Strauss
Martin Guptill
Shahid Afridi
wtf at Jadeja, Strauss, Vaughan and Ganguly. If anything they should be in the other category.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suppose by definition Eoin Morgan merits a mention here, although personally I don't think he's had a fair crack of the whip in Tests

TheJediBrah

I will rule out T20 as its not really a thing yet, and wasn't even around for most of the names mentioned here.

Laxman
Lara
Langer

Steve Waugh
Ganguly
Gavaskar
Ajay Jadeja
Shane Warne

Good in ODIs but not Tests

Yuvraj Singh
Raina
Ravinder Jadeja
James Faulkner
Shane Watson
David Miller
Vaughan
Strauss
Martin Guptill
Shahid Afridi
Bolded ones are either completely backwards or just wrong.

and putting Faulkner on that list is bizarre. He's played 1 test and did very well.

Langer didn't play a single ODI after he became good at Tests

Most of this list is just completely wrong tbh

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Can we add Steyn to this? By Steyn standards I mean. His returns in ODIs have been far from Steynesque. It is puzzling to see an ATG like him being a notch below in the shorter format.

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bolded ones are either completely backwards or just wrong.

and putting Faulkner on that list is bizarre. He's played 1 test and did very well.

Langer didn't play a single ODI after he became good at Tests

Most of this list is just completely wrong tbh
Okay ones in Bold for Good in test but not ODIs were-

Lara
Langer
Ganguly
Ajay Jadeja
Shane Warne

Of these Ganguy and Ajay Jadeja, I give you. I got confused, and put them in this list when they belong in the good in ODIs but not tests list.

But for good in Tests and not ODIs - Lara, Langer and Warne definitely belong there.

There is no point is saying Langer never played ODIs, as there is a reason why he never played ODIs and that was that no one thought he was upto pace with the format. Lara again falls in the category very easily, name on great Lara knock from ODIs you remember apart form his 169. Name one great World Cup Lara innings. There are none.

Warne again, comparing his test and ODI record his like comparing chalk and cheese. Even Sanath Jayasurya who has no great ability with the ball has more ODI wickets than Warne.

As for the can play ODIs but not Tests, the one in bold were -

Faulkner
Vaughan
Strauss

Faulker again has played just 1 test, for a reason. Aus test side is not the greatest its ever been but it, and Faulker can still not get in.

Vaughan and Strauss I give you, they should have gone into the can't play ODIs list.

indiaholic

International Captain
Read the thread title. It says exceptional in one format and dire in another. I don't know of any criteria that would allow you to categorize Lara as dire at anything. Being better at one format doesn't automatically make you dire at the other.

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Read the thread title. It says exceptional in one format and dire in another. I don't know of any criteria that would allow you to categorize Lara as dire at anything. Being better at one format doesn't automatically make you dire at the other.
Yeah thats fair enough, but I am being a little harsh as compared to what Lara did in Tests, he did nothing even comparable in ODIs. Its harsh yes, but the gap between the two records is too much.

Lara as you say was not dire at anything, not by an average cricket standard, but by Lara's own standards, his ODI record will disappoint him.

morgieb

Can we add Steyn to this? By Steyn standards I mean. His returns in ODIs have been far from Steynesque. It is puzzling to see an ATG like him being a notch below in the shorter format.
Before 2011 yes. But since then he's been damn good at ODI level.

indiaholic

International Captain
Yeah thats fair enough, but I am being a little harsh as compared to what Lara did in Tests, he did nothing even comparable in ODIs. Its harsh yes, but the gap between the two records is too much.

Lara as you say was not dire at anything, not by an average cricket standard, but by Lara's own standards, his ODI record will disappoint him.
6 of lara's innings made it to the wisden top 100 for ODIs. Surely that is good enough?

morgieb

Okay ones in Bold for Good in test but not ODIs were-

Lara
Langer
Ganguly
Ajay Jadeja
Shane Warne

Of these Ganguy and Ajay Jadeja, I give you. I got confused, and put them in this list when they belong in the good in ODIs but not tests list.

But for good in Tests and not ODIs - Lara, Langer and Warne definitely belong there.

There is no point is saying Langer never played ODIs, as there is a reason why he never played ODIs and that was that no one thought he was upto pace with the format. Lara again falls in the category very easily, name on great Lara knock from ODIs you remember apart form his 169. Name one great World Cup Lara innings. There are none.

Warne again, comparing his test and ODI record his like comparing chalk and cheese. Even Sanath Jayasurya who has no great ability with the ball has more ODI wickets than Warne.

As for the can play ODIs but not Tests, the one in bold were -

Faulkner
Vaughan
Strauss

Faulker again has played just 1 test, for a reason. Aus test side is not the greatest its ever been but it, and Faulker can still not get in.

Vaughan and Strauss I give you, they should have gone into the can't play ODIs list.
96 World Cup Quarter-Final? Wasn't there also a brilliant innings by him in the 2003 World Cup?

Slifer

International Captain

See the total international series in RSA in 93. See the WsC series in Oz in 96/97. Lara dominated two great bowling attacks in both series. In fact, up until the late 90s Lara was easily in the top ten odi batsmen, but then he faded very dramatically. Overall though Lara is a very very good odi player and far from dire. A notch below his test greatness

Niall

International Coach
Of current Pakistan players, Younis is pretty obvious, but may as well Asad Shafiq, another player who is content to score at a snails rate in a team full of slow coaches.

Top_Cat

Steve Waugh
Revisionism. Was named captain of Australia's greatest ODI XI, ffs.

Last edited: