• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Single Test or Fifty ODIs?

One Test or Fifty ODIs?

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jade Dernbach must be close to 50 ODIs by now?

Test without hesitation. Would you rather be Harper Lee or Dan Brown; Jeff Buckley or Robbie Williams?

I'd take that single perfect test(ament) over prolific mediocrity.

As for money being a factor: become a ****ing banker.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
One test in Barbados in 1982. A century against Marshall, Garner, Holding and Roberts on the first day. 130 of 180 balls 17 fours and 3 sixers. and an unbeaten 60 in the second innings. 7 fours. 1 six. And wickets of Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd, Gomes and Dujon; in both innings. I would happily die after this.

smash84

The Tiger King
One test in Barbados in 1982. A century against Marshall, Garner, Holding and Roberts on the first day. 130 of 180 balls 17 fours and 3 sixers. and an unbeaten 60 in the second innings. 7 fours. 1 six. And wickets of Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd, Gomes and Dujon; in both innings. I would happily die after this.
you might die of depression after this for sure if they don't pick you ever again

Stapel

International Regular
As much as a Test is what cricket is all about....,

I can't be arsed about Darren Pattinson's career, whereas Nathan Bracken's career seems rather fine.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As much as a Test is what cricket is all about....,

I can't be arsed about Darren Pattinson's career, whereas Nathan Bracken's career seems rather fine.
Well yeah, Bracken played more Tests than Darren Pattinson anyway and played over twice as many ODIs as the question being asked

BeeGee

International Captain
Purely for myself, and I don't judge others, I have tried my hardest to avoid any sort of fame. Perhaps I have done it too well, I don't know. But the idea of wanting to be famous sickens me. I honestly couldn't think of anything, outside the extreme, that would make life worse than other people paying attention to what I do.
AWTA. The advantages of fame are hugely outweighed by the disadvantages.

As for money being a factor: become a ****ing banker.
AWTA. Or do what I did and marry a financial consultant, then sit back and watch the money roll in. :happy:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Purely for myself, and I don't judge others, I have tried my hardest to avoid any sort of fame. Perhaps I have done it too well, I don't know. But the idea of wanting to be famous sickens me. I honestly couldn't think of anything, outside the extreme, that would make life worse than other people paying attention to what I do.
Sour grapes eh :laugh:
I don't know why you would say that Smali. Like Goughy, I think fame is ****. Why the **** would anyone want to be a celebrity?

Would you not rather be like the Einsteins, the Nightingales, the Da Vincis of this world who did not pursue fame rather it pursued them because they devoted their lives to purely help people, solve a problem, gain knowledge, create, etc.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm assuming that in the 50 ODIs I'll get to travel a fair bit, see a lot of the world and play against a lot of teams in lots of different conditions.

So it's not even close. I'll take playing for my country 50 times over just the once.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't know why you would say that Smali. Like Goughy, I think fame is ****. Why the **** would anyone want to be a celebrity?

Would you not rather be like the Einsteins, the Nightingales, the Da Vincis of this world who did not pursue fame rather it pursued them because they devoted their lives to purely help people, solve a problem, gain knowledge, create, etc.
emm......they were famous weren't they? They were exceptional in something so they were famous. Same applies here. You are good enough to represent your country in 50 ODIs and the fame that comes with it you take it along the way and enjoy it while you can

besides in those days you didn't have the paprazzi running around everywhere so it was much easier too.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
The test. Even if it was against Bangladesh, I got two golden ducks and 0/500. Not even close.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not necessarily.

Rodney Redmond | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

One test match and the bloke's a legend for it.
It's also ruined his life for a degree because he's somewhat bitter about it in later interviews.

I think this is an easy choice it is 50 ODIs.
The people who are choosing one test are just thinking which experience would they prefer playing in a test or playing in 50 ODIs. What they are not factoring into account is your emotions of being dropped after one test and the frustration you would feel. 50 ODIs is a decent go of things. The players themselves also seem to get satisfaction out of winning ODIs or at least the NZ team does anyway.

Take my nationality into account with my vote as well. I suspect that ODIs are ranked higher in Aotearoa than England. If you gave me a choice of one test or 1000 T20s however I know which choice I would be making and it would be the one with white clothes.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The test. Even if it was against Bangladesh, I got two golden ducks and 0/500. Not even close.
Really? I would prefer to play no Tests and no ODIs if I was to do so poorly and be the brunt of jokes and make all time worst Test XI's and all that.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? I would prefer to play no Tests and no ODIs if I was to do so poorly and be the brunt of jokes and make all time worst Test XI's and all that.
Yep. I'd just be happy to have played test cricket.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm assuming that in the 50 ODIs I'll get to travel a fair bit, see a lot of the world and play against a lot of teams in lots of different conditions.

So it's not even close. I'll take playing for my country 50 times over just the once.
Yea exactly.
50 ODIs by a country mile.

Maybe if it was 10 ODIs, I'd reconsider.