• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which top batsmen have been dismissed the most by part-time bowlers?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Inspired by me watching Tendulkar being bowled by Michael Vaughan on YouTube a few moments ago.

Stapel

International Regular
In 2005 Ponting took Vaughan's wicket.

It's just a wicket I won't forget any time soon. I don't think Vaughan got out to part-timers regularly.

stumpski

International Captain
Not sure about frequent, but I remember Rob Key getting out to Damien Martyn and Steve Waugh in the 2002-03 Ashes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not sure about frequent, but I remember Rob Key getting out to Damien Martyn and Steve Waugh in the 2002-03 Ashes.
Yeah I thought of that when I first opened the thread. People started saying he had a "weakness" to part-time brisk medium nude balls. Obviously it was more mental than anything, especially since those sort of bowlers are generally used right before a break for that exact purpose.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In 2005 Ponting took Vaughan's wicket.

It's just a wicket I won't forget any time soon. I don't think Vaughan got out to part-timers regularly.
Dunno. He smacked a Katich full bunger straight to a fielder's waiting hands when on 100 & plenty in the same series.

Dibbly dobbly medium pieslingers often get Christened "partnership breakers". Craig McMillan had that kinda rep. Looking at the batsmen he dismissed (28 wickets in 55 tests, so v much a part-timer) his victims include both Waughs, Langer, Slater, Kallis, Andy Flower &, twice, Damien Martyn.

Some quality batsmen seem to have issues with merde bowling seemingly.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dunno. He smacked a Katich full bunger straight to a fielder's waiting hands when on 100 & plenty in the same series.

Dibbly dobbly medium pieslingers often get Christened "partnership breakers". Craig McMillan had that kinda rep. Looking at the batsmen he dismissed (28 wickets in 55 tests, so v much a part-timer) his victims include both Waughs, Langer, Slater, Kallis, Andy Flower &, twice, Damien Martyn.

Yeh, it's remarkable how often one of these guys grabs a wicket.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bob Barber only played two Tests against West Indies, but dismissed Garry Sobers twice with his part time leg spin - the sad stat is that with 42 he's England's second most successful leggie since the war (behind Doug Wright)

BeeGee

International Captain

McMillan used to annoy them out. It certainly wasn't good bowling (though it was good tactics). He'd try bowling a whole over of bouncers/short balls, then an over trying to bowl as fast as he can (after each ball he'd look at the screen to check his speed and if he got a good number he'd point it out to his team mates).

Last edited:

watson

Banned
It depends how you define 'part-time' bowlers, but I'd like to nominate Don Bradman.

He was dismissed 70 times in his Test career, and 11 of those dismissals were by genuine batsman who usually bat in the Top-6. This gives a percentage of 16, which I reckon is disproportionately high;

Hammond = 3
Hazare = 2
Martin = 2
Morkel = 1
Phadkar = 1
Edrich = 1
Amarnath = 1
TOTAL = 11

(I can only assume that Bradman was either very tired, or perhaps 'having a go' when he got out to the above bowlers)

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Tbf Hammond took 83 test wickets at an average that Ishant Sharma would love to have and over 700 FC wickets so not sure he qualifies as a part timer.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Waugh used to reckon he had the wood on Carl Hooper. I recall him getting Lara out in 95 too, to a freakish catch by Boonie at short mid on.