• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 'World' Test Team

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't rate him on wickets that don't seam, he is like Ajmal, he is deadly in conditions that suit him, but can only provide control when they don't.
Any examples you'd care to share?

Oh and btw I've decided to leave Bradman out of my ATG XI now, he was suspect on wet/sticky wickets.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Any examples you'd care to share?

Oh and btw I've decided to leave Bradman out of my ATG XI now, he was suspect on wet/sticky wickets.
Herath took 5/90 odd at Hobart when the ball wasn't turning, but Ajmal in SA recently took only 1 wicket outside the newlands test (where the pitch turned quite a lot). Philander kills it on greentops and bouncy pitches but was ineffective at Adelaide and Brisbane for example. I'm not saying you can't have strengths and weaknesses but you can't make my World II if you are ineffective outside helpful conditions. It's not just statistics based either, he looked so benign at points in England and Australia.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Herath took 5/90 odd at Hobart when the ball wasn't turning, but Ajmal in SA recently took only 1 wicket outside the newlands test (where the pitch turned quite a lot). Philander kills it on greentops and bouncy pitches but was ineffective at Adelaide and Brisbane for example. I'm not saying you can't have strengths and weaknesses but you can't make my World II if you are ineffective outside helpful conditions. It's not just statistics based either, he looked so benign at points in England and Australia.
I'm curious, how has Boult proved himself more effective than Philander outside helpful conditions? He doesn't really stand out from any other fast bowler in the past few years. Averaging 29, just over 3 wickets a match and a strike rate of 59.3

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm curious, how has Boult proved himself more effective than Philander outside helpful conditions? He doesn't really stand out from any other fast bowler in the past few years. Averaging 29, just over 3 wickets a match and a strike rate of 59.3
Yeah, I just love him! I wanted a left armer in and I think his control is a bit better than Junaid. I like the fact that he is a genuine swing bowler too, in the last 3 months he has really come along. He takes his wickets everywhere too, even on those NZ roads. I left Philander out perhaps not entirely on merit, I really just don;t like his bowling, reminds me of Bresnan.

EDIT: It's also worth remembering that Boult plays for NZ, and Philander for SA, which not only means Philander never has to bowl against the SA batting line-up but he can plunder crappy batsmen (from NZ and PAK last summer for eg). Boult is always bowling against better teams.It's a confusing point, but hopefully you sort of get what I mean. Not only that, but Philander gets to bowl with Steyn and Morkel, while Boult doesn;t recieve support quite that good, it makes a difference I think.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Philander I would imagine would be one of the first four players name on the team sheet for a team like this. Cook, Clarke, Steyn and Philander.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wow, a lot of people picking Pattinson based on just 10 tests. Don't get me wrong I think he's a talented bowler but I don't know whether I'd even consider him to be the number 1 bowler in Aus yet, let alone one of the top 3 in the world.
The guy who picked Siddle over Anderson is questioning others' judgement?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Barath
Watson
Guptill
Flynn
Mahmudullah
Raina
Haddin
Pradeep
Hossain
M. Patel
Dernbach

Thoughts?

But seriously,

Cook
Amla
Sangakkara
Clarke
Pietersen
De Villiers
Prior +
Philander
Herath
Anderson
Steyn

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson is not really a first change bowler. It's a pretty valid concern. Siddle has been by far the best first change bowler over the past year or so.
Yeah, and even when you ignore the 3rd seamer issue, it's a much closer run thing than a lot of people would think. Since late 2009, Anderson has averaged 26.2 to Siddle's 27.5.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
2009 is a bit of a stretch for a current team just sayin
Ugh, fine. Since 2011 the figures stand at Siddle averaging 26.7 and Anderson 27.3
Since 2012 the figures stand at Siddle with 25.3 and Anderson 28.6
In the last 12 months, the figures stand at Siddle with 27.3 and Anderson with 30.3.
In the current year, the numbers are Siddle with 32.8 and Anderson with 26.4 (though Anderson's numbers have come against a weak NZ batting side, while Siddle has had to work against SL and India).