Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: That Grant Elliott run-out (and other stories)

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

That Grant Elliott run-out (and other stories)

For those of you with short memories

We had a similar (ish) incident yesterday in a County friendly match - Oxfordshire U10 v Oxfordshire U11 - where the two batsmen ran into one another, hard, mid pitch, with the result that a run-out was inevitable. As coach on the sidelines, I stood up and shouted, "don't take the bails off" without really giving it too much thought.

It came up as a talking point later in the afternoon: in what situation would it be acceptable to run out a stranded batsman? Having given it some thought, and the rather glib answer of "only against Surrey", I've come to the conclusion that I don't think I'd ever want to claim a wicket like that in any junior match. If it were a senior game, and a last-wicket, and a league decider, however... well...

What does CW think?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Never, IMO. But I'm a stickler for the spirit of the game.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    What if you thought you had a good chance of running him out before the collision?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I don't see a logical argument for letting them get away with this mistake. How is it any different to other errors? You'd quite happily run someone out who slips right? That may not even be their fault - this most certainly is.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

the two batsmen run into each other (with no interference from the fielding team) and you don't want to run them out. not sure if serious? or i'm misreading the op.

Yeah, apologies. I was thinking of the Grant Elliott run out where one of the fielding team clatters the batsman to the floor. I wouldn't complete the run out in those circumstances.

If the two batsmen collide, then by all means. Their fault entirely.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    If he's out, run the **** out. I had no problem with the Sidebottom collision because it wasn't deliberate. If you accidentally collide with a fielder and he misses a ping at the stumps when you would have been out, do you put your bat under your arm and walk off? No. That's cricket and my opinion applies no matter the level.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-05-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    The Elliot situation was a clear case where the run-out shouldn't have been completed imo, because a member of the fielding side (the bowler) physically prevented the batsman from having any chance of completing the run (though not deliberately of course). In cases where two batsmen run into each other though, I wouldn't have a problem with a runout being completed.

Then there's the McCullum-Murali run-out (or the Ian Bell runout, depending on who you follow I suppose), where the fielding side exploits a batsman's inattentativeness to whether or not the umpire has signalled the completion of a passage of play. That's slightly more tricky, though I generally lean towards the view that the fielding side has every right to exploit a player's carelessness. Then again, I don't get the whole stigma around Mankading either.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

I'm all for Mankadding. The batsman is trying to earn an unfair advantage. Gets what he deserves IMO.

Neil's example - definitely run them out. 100% batsman's (or both batsmen's) error
    Grant Elliott example - I would not run them out.
    Ian Bell/Murali example - I think I would run them out but that really is a tough one.
    Mankad example - Warning and then run out.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    neil's example - definitely run them out. 100% batsman's (or both batsmen's) error
    grant elliott example - i would not run them out.
    Ian bell/murali example - i think i would run them out but that really is a tough one.
    mankad example - warning and then run out.

I'm acting astonished!

Indoor cricket no warning. You know my stance on that

You son of a bitch!

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    ...where the two batsmen ran into one another, hard, mid pitch, with the result that a run-out was inevitable.
    This is a completely different situation to the Elliot incident.

Of course you run him out. It's a running error by the batsmen. No different than a bad call for a run or a batsman tripping over his own feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Grant Elliott example - I would not run them out.
    Ian Bell/Murali example - I think I would run them out but that really is a tough one
    I actually have the opposite opinion here. I would definitely not run out Bell/Murali because they weren't attempting a run at all. Especially Murali.

I probably would've run Elliott out though. It's a tough one for me, but if I think that if you're attempting a run then it's your responsibility to make sure you don't run into someone else and fall over, whether it's a member of the opposition or a member of your own side. It's obviously a lot different if it's deliberate, but I actually think it's part of judging a run to make sure you can safely get to the other end given where the fielders are likely to be. If I was batting, I'd have probably not run in Elliott's situation in fear or exactly what happened, so I think it's only fair to punish those who roll the dice and come up snake eyes.
    ~ Cribbage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information