• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

That Grant Elliott run-out (and other stories)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
For those of you with short memories

We had a similar (ish) incident yesterday in a County friendly match - Oxfordshire U10 v Oxfordshire U11 - where the two batsmen ran into one another, hard, mid pitch, with the result that a run-out was inevitable. As coach on the sidelines, I stood up and shouted, "don't take the bails off" without really giving it too much thought.

It came up as a talking point later in the afternoon: in what situation would it be acceptable to run out a stranded batsman? Having given it some thought, and the rather glib answer of "only against Surrey", I've come to the conclusion that I don't think I'd ever want to claim a wicket like that in any junior match. If it were a senior game, and a last-wicket, and a league decider, however... well...

What does CW think?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What if you thought you had a good chance of running him out before the collision?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see a logical argument for letting them get away with this mistake. How is it any different to other errors? You'd quite happily run someone out who slips right? That may not even be their fault - this most certainly is.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
the two batsmen run into each other (with no interference from the fielding team) and you don't want to run them out. not sure if serious? or i'm misreading the op.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, apologies. I was thinking of the Grant Elliott run out where one of the fielding team clatters the batsman to the floor. I wouldn't complete the run out in those circumstances.

If the two batsmen collide, then by all means. Their fault entirely.

Top_Cat

If he's out, run the **** out. I had no problem with the Sidebottom collision because it wasn't deliberate. If you accidentally collide with a fielder and he misses a ping at the stumps when you would have been out, do you put your bat under your arm and walk off? No. That's cricket and my opinion applies no matter the level.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The Elliot situation was a clear case where the run-out shouldn't have been completed imo, because a member of the fielding side (the bowler) physically prevented the batsman from having any chance of completing the run (though not deliberately of course). In cases where two batsmen run into each other though, I wouldn't have a problem with a runout being completed.

Then there's the McCullum-Murali run-out (or the Ian Bell runout, depending on who you follow I suppose), where the fielding side exploits a batsman's inattentativeness to whether or not the umpire has signalled the completion of a passage of play. That's slightly more tricky, though I generally lean towards the view that the fielding side has every right to exploit a player's carelessness. Then again, I don't get the whole stigma around Mankading either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Neil's example - definitely run them out. 100% batsman's (or both batsmen's) error
Grant Elliott example - I would not run them out.
Ian Bell/Murali example - I think I would run them out but that really is a tough one.
Mankad example - Warning and then run out.

Top_Cat

neil's example - definitely run them out. 100% batsman's (or both batsmen's) error
grant elliott example - i would not run them out.
Ian bell/murali example - i think i would run them out but that really is a tough one.
mankad example - warning and then run out.
:-O

I'm acting astonished!

BeeGee

International Captain
...where the two batsmen ran into one another, hard, mid pitch, with the result that a run-out was inevitable.
This is a completely different situation to the Elliot incident.

Of course you run him out. It's a running error by the batsmen. No different than a bad call for a run or a batsman tripping over his own feet.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Grant Elliott example - I would not run them out.
Ian Bell/Murali example - I think I would run them out but that really is a tough one
I actually have the opposite opinion here. I would definitely not run out Bell/Murali because they weren't attempting a run at all. Especially Murali.

I probably would've run Elliott out though. It's a tough one for me, but if I think that if you're attempting a run then it's your responsibility to make sure you don't run into someone else and fall over, whether it's a member of the opposition or a member of your own side. It's obviously a lot different if it's deliberate, but I actually think it's part of judging a run to make sure you can safely get to the other end given where the fielders are likely to be. If I was batting, I'd have probably not run in Elliott's situation in fear or exactly what happened, so I think it's only fair to punish those who roll the dice and come up snake eyes.

Spikey

I'm all for mankadding. hopefully we get to the stage where we don't have to give a warning

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I actually have the opposite opinion here. I would definitely not run out Bell/Murali because they weren't attempting a run at all. Especially Murali.

I probably would've run Elliott out though. It's a tough one for me, but if I think that if you're attempting a run then it's your responsibility to make sure you don't run into someone else and fall over, whether it's a member of the opposition or a member of your own side. It's obviously a lot different if it's deliberate, but I actually think it's part of judging a run to make sure you can safely get to the other end given where the fielders are likely to be. If I was batting, I'd have probably not run in Elliott's situation in fear or exactly what happened, so I think it's only fair to punish those who roll the dice and come up snake eyes.
Even if its not deliberate, I feel even if the bowler unintentionally gets in the way of the batsman its wrong. Of course they can stand their ground but if they cut in front then I wouldn't run them out. I can't exactly remember the Sidebottom/Elliott one. I remember Vettori being super angry.

These are all so subjective though.

Mike5181

International Captain
Murali's was a fair run out tbh. He walked towards Sangakkara before the fielder had even thrown the ball back to the keeper. That's just careless. You have to at least wait until a couple of seconds after the keeper has taken it before walking around even if you have no intention of trying to complete a run.

Burgey

Shouldn't surprise anyone that a Pom would knock a bloke over then claim a run out.

Mind you, it would be the only way Sidebottom could ever fell a batsman.