Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: That Grant Elliott run-out (and other stories)

in an ideal world it should be tackle cricket anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Anyone else yell at the screen when he dipped the bat in water?

"Wait, he's not going to...... OH NO MAAAAAN. GEEZ."
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

In the OPs situation - no problem, batsmen's own fault.

In the Elliot/Sidebottom situation - correct decision made. It was a 'racing incident'. Sidebottom was fully entitled to take that line to get the ball and made no wilful attempt to impede the batsman. An interesting point, however, is the running line taken by Elliot. In good Club cricket (which I umpire) the batsman almost always runs down the opposite side of the pitch to the non striker (to avoid possible collisions) - this should be even more common practice higher up the game. However, it is a neat trick used by some batsman to drop the ball close to the bat and take a line to 'run the bowler off' - I would suggest Elliott was doing this. Certain subtle recent changes to the Obstructing the Field Law might cause a question for an umpire in this situation

In the Bell situation - although technically under the Laws it was a run out the fact that many of the Indian players clearly thought there was no further action on the delivery and, perhaps more importantly, the bowlers end umpire was giving the sweater back to the bowler (although they might take it of their own accord I would not offer it until I was content that all worthwhile action on the delivery was complete) indicates that, possibly, the strikers umpire, might have decided differently. Ironically the day before this happened I had a moment in the match I was umpiring. A single had been taken, the cover fielder chased down the ball and, as there was no serious thought on either side regarding a 2nd run, he threw the ball to mid off the batsman at my (the bowler's) end decided to do a little gardening. Mid off shaped to throw at the stumps and looked at me. I shook my head. Although technically under the Law the ball wasn't dead in all common sense it was - and the fielder fully accepted this.

In the Murali situation the problem was Murali set off very quickly to congratulate the batsman. The fielder could reasonably have thought a run was being attempted. Had Murali waited even a couple of seconds I suspect the umpire may have disallowed the appeal.
    Last edited by Biryani Pillow; 30-05-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    It could well be that Elliott was running the line he usually runs, but because Sidebottom is a left armer, that line happened to be on the same side as his partner.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Cricket Controversy *Sidebottom Elliot Run out incident* New Zealand v England 4th ODI The Oval 2008 - YouTube

See around 1:45 in the vid for the replay. Sidebottom charges across the pitch into Elliot's running path, Elliot tried to move out of the way, but Sidebottom (who was clearly focused on getting to the ball) hammered into him.

I agree with Jono. It's one thing for a bowler to hold his ground, but quite another for the bowler to cut across in front of a batsman and physically obstruct him, even when it's unintentional.
    I'd never run them out in that situation. Could make an arguement for obstructing the field though IMO it would be bull****.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Had another situation today. Starting to think I'm going soft.

Ball played out to cover (I think) and batsmen call no. Ball is then thrown back to mid off who notices that the batsman is a fraction (unintentionally) outside his crease, jogs in and knocks the bails off. Umpire gives him out and my team (U12s) celebrate. Cue moral quandary on my part and a gut instinct that it didn't feel right, before deciding we should recall the batsman... probably influenced by the fact that I was fairly sure the match was as good as won.

I've also refused to accept penalty runs in a close match this season on the grounds that it was U10 cricket...

I've had an interesting summer.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

I think I've played against your u15 team
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

International Regular
    What's everyones take on Tony Greig/Alvin Karricharan?

Tony Greig - Alvin Kallicharran - Run Out - February 1974 - YouTube

To me it is a run out, because Karricharan has been dopey and not waited for the bails to come off before walking off.
    Last edited by 91Jmay; 22-08-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Doesn't really help that Knott has already pulled all three stumps out of the ground by then. Definitely a bit iffy.
    honestbharani likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post

Ball played out to cover (I think) and batsmen call no. Ball is then thrown back to mid off who notices that the batsman is a fraction (unintentionally) outside his crease, jogs in and knocks the bails off. Umpire gives him out and my team (U12s) celebrate. Cue moral quandary on my part and a gut instinct that it didn't feel right, before deciding we should recall the batsman... probably influenced by the fact that I was fairly sure the match was as good as won.

I've also refused to accept penalty runs in a close match this season on the grounds that it was U10 cricket...

No wonder people say it's a batsman's game.

Does your team recall batsmen when they unintentionally edge to the keeper?
    91Jmay likes this.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Doesn't really help that Knott has already pulled all three stumps out of the ground by then. Definitely a bit iffy.
    Yeah that is a good point.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I collided with long off last weekend when we were both going for the ball that was between us (I was fielding at long on). I stopped the ball but we both went to ground. The batsmen continued to run between the wickets whilst we were on the floor (granted it was only an extra run but they took it). Why should batsmen benefit when fielders make mistakes but the bowling side can't when batters slip?

And on the guys original point. I play hard Cricket myself but when I run my junior teams its a different kettle of fish. I would rather the lads had a good time than be accused of being cheats or playing the game in the wrong way. When I'm bowling and fielding I'm not bothered what they call me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post

Would the throw from fielder to mid-off not have invoked Law 23(b) at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Would the throw from fielder to mid-off not have invoked Law 23(b) at some point?
    yes imo. aside from at u12 age it's unsportsmanlike and deserves a warning first anyway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information