• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

That Grant Elliott run-out (and other stories)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Had another situation today. Starting to think I'm going soft.

Ball played out to cover (I think) and batsmen call no. Ball is then thrown back to mid off who notices that the batsman is a fraction (unintentionally) outside his crease, jogs in and knocks the bails off. Umpire gives him out and my team (U12s) celebrate. Cue moral quandary on my part and a gut instinct that it didn't feel right, before deciding we should recall the batsman... probably influenced by the fact that I was fairly sure the match was as good as won.

I've also refused to accept penalty runs in a close match this season on the grounds that it was U10 cricket...

I've had an interesting summer.
No wonder people say it's a batsman's game.

Does your team recall batsmen when they unintentionally edge to the keeper?

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
I collided with long off last weekend when we were both going for the ball that was between us (I was fielding at long on). I stopped the ball but we both went to ground. The batsmen continued to run between the wickets whilst we were on the floor (granted it was only an extra run but they took it). Why should batsmen benefit when fielders make mistakes but the bowling side can't when batters slip?

And on the guys original point. I play hard Cricket myself but when I run my junior teams its a different kettle of fish. I would rather the lads had a good time than be accused of being cheats or playing the game in the wrong way. When I'm bowling and fielding I'm not bothered what they call me.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Had another situation today. Starting to think I'm going soft.

Ball played out to cover (I think) and batsmen call no. Ball is then thrown back to mid off who notices that the batsman is a fraction (unintentionally) outside his crease, jogs in and knocks the bails off. Umpire gives him out and my team (U12s) celebrate. Cue moral quandary on my part and a gut instinct that it didn't feel right, before deciding we should recall the batsman... probably influenced by the fact that I was fairly sure the match was as good as won.

I've also refused to accept penalty runs in a close match this season on the grounds that it was U10 cricket...

I've had an interesting summer.
Would the throw from fielder to mid-off not have invoked Law 23(b) at some point?