Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: That Grant Elliott run-out (and other stories)

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    no surprise a durham player would scoop that low imho
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I'm all for mankadding. hopefully we get to the stage where we don't have to give a warning

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I actually have the opposite opinion here. I would definitely not run out Bell/Murali because they weren't attempting a run at all. Especially Murali.

I probably would've run Elliott out though. It's a tough one for me, but if I think that if you're attempting a run then it's your responsibility to make sure you don't run into someone else and fall over, whether it's a member of the opposition or a member of your own side. It's obviously a lot different if it's deliberate, but I actually think it's part of judging a run to make sure you can safely get to the other end given where the fielders are likely to be. If I was batting, I'd have probably not run in Elliott's situation in fear or exactly what happened, so I think it's only fair to punish those who roll the dice and come up snake eyes.
    Even if its not deliberate, I feel even if the bowler unintentionally gets in the way of the batsman its wrong. Of course they can stand their ground but if they cut in front then I wouldn't run them out. I can't exactly remember the Sidebottom/Elliott one. I remember Vettori being super angry.

These are all so subjective though.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Murali's was a fair run out tbh. He walked towards Sangakkara before the fielder had even thrown the ball back to the keeper. That's just careless. You have to at least wait until a couple of seconds after the keeper has taken it before walking around even if you have no intention of trying to complete a run.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Shouldn't surprise anyone that a Pom would knock a bloke over then claim a run out.

Mind you, it would be the only way Sidebottom could ever fell a batsman.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Spectator
    If it's two batsmen felling each other, definitely run him out - it's the same as a batsman tripping/slipping.

Sidebottom/Elliot is definitely more tricky, but I agree with those that say that there are many other unlucky ways to get out - wandering from your crease (you stupid arse!) - where I feel it's definitely in the fielding's side's prerogative to complete the runout. As such, can't really fault England here, however, it's not quite in the spirit of the game...

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Cricket Controversy *Sidebottom Elliot Run out incident* New Zealand v England 4th ODI The Oval 2008 - YouTube

See around 1:45 in the vid for the replay. Sidebottom charges across the pitch into Elliot's running path, Elliot tried to move out of the way, but Sidebottom (who was clearly focused on getting to the ball) hammered into him.

I agree with Jono. It's one thing for a bowler to hold his ground, but quite another for the bowler to cut across in front of a batsman and physically obstruct him, even when it's unintentional.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 28-05-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

under 11's boys. dont run em out at that age
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    ... See around 1:45 in the vid for the replay. Sidebottom charges across the pitch into Elliot's running path, Elliot tried to move out of the way, but Sidebottom (who was clearly focused on getting to the ball) hammered into him.
    IMHO not quite. Sidebottom starts to go for the ball, but realises that there will be a collision, and is stopping and putting his hands up. Look at the positioning of both player's feet just before the collision. Elliot's apart = moving. Sidebottom's together = stationary. Once Sidebottom does this, he is no longer going for the ball, he is blocking the batsman.

Anyway, as a coach it was the correct call, at U11 level you have a duty to teach good sportsmanship. I coach and referee kid's football, same principles apply. Play fair. They'll soon be old enough to play hard.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I actually have the opposite opinion here. I would definitely not run out Bell/Murali because they weren't attempting a run at all. Especially Murali.

I probably would've run Elliott out though. It's a tough one for me, but if I think that if you're attempting a run then it's your responsibility to make sure you don't run into someone else and fall over, whether it's a member of the opposition or a member of your own side. It's obviously a lot different if it's deliberate, but I actually think it's part of judging a run to make sure you can safely get to the other end given where the fielders are likely to be. If I was batting, I'd have probably not run in Elliott's situation in fear or exactly what happened, so I think it's only fair to punish those who roll the dice and come up snake eyes.
    yeah.. PEWS, if we go by your opinion, what is gonna stop bowlers/fielders intentionally getting into the likely running path of the batsman and forcing them to go around them as a tactic to try and run them out ? It is a silly thought because players can easily feign that they were only moving to get the ball and then stopped becoz they realized they could not get there only in that instant.. Opening a huge can of worms if you start thinking Sidebottom/Elliott was ok..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    yeah.. PEWS, if we go by your opinion, what is gonna stop bowlers/fielders intentionally getting into the likely running path of the batsman and forcing them to go around them as a tactic to try and run them out ? It is a silly thought because players can easily feign that they were only moving to get the ball and then stopped becoz they realized they could not get there only in that instant.. Opening a huge can of worms if you start thinking Sidebottom/Elliott was ok..
    Well what's stopping them now?

Whether or not we decide it's okay, it's perfectly legal. And if you're a big enough **** to deliberately knock a batsman down (which actually is illegal) then you're definitely a big enough **** to ignore an unspoken moral code about whether it's okay to do it accidentally.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Well what's stopping them now?

Whether or not we decide it's okay, it's perfectly legal. And if you're a big enough **** to deliberately knock a batsman down (which actually is illegal) then you're definitely a big enough **** to ignore an unspoken moral code about whether it's okay to do it accidentally.
    Nothing stops them from getting in the way now, but if they happen to collide, there is a very real expectation that the run out shouldn't be claimed.. So batsmen can still take the risk of running straight into the opposition player hoping they move out or that there wil be backlash if they claim the run out after a collision.. You are saying to take that away and that just gives the opposition players even more freedom to do that ****.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    i don't get it.

Well, today if a fielder or a bowler deliberately stands in the running line of the batsman, if the batsman runs anyway and jams into him (without looking or acting as if he did not look), the fielders know there will be an issue in claiming the run out.. You start taking away that piece of moral pressure, the fielding side are gonna queue up to go stand in the way of the batsman's run..

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    If it was Brad Hodge, I would have no hesitation.

Anyone else, even Ricky Ponting (bless him), no.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information