• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could promotion-relegation work between Division 2 and the Minor Counties Champions?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Fair point well made - I'd be pinning quite a bit of hope on the prospect of the Minors/Conference becoming a 'meaningful' league and therefore attracting greater media coverage.
The county championship barely gets any media coverage any more so why would the minor counties get an increase if it became more "meaningful"?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do like the idea, it's just not feasible though.

Especially as someone who's from Cornwall who win the Minor Counties Championship last year and who are too far away from any of the major counties to ever really stand a chance of making it.
I mean, West Cornwall is traditionally stronger than East. St Just, who are usually one of the better sides in Cornwall, is a 3 hour drive from Taunton.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It can't work - for starters, where on earth would any of us play? We could probably manage Wormsley, but very few other MCs would have an appropriate ground for a full senior programme.

Regardless, as has already been mentioned, all the MC players have full-time jobs from which they need to take time off to play in the fixtures so could not go "full-time" for a season and sacrifice job and career stability - they are not professional cricketers for a reason, and those who are young players on the way up will already inevitably be involved in a FC Second XI (in our case, usually Gloucestershire).

I do miss the NatWest Trophy and the chance to kick a first-class side in the face, though. We will have to stick to doing that in the youth competitions for now...