Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Zimbabwe All-Time Test XI - Open Voting

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Flower. I'll have Whittall over Taibu
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I'll vote for Taibu.
    me too
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Taibu

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    I'll vote for Taibu.

Flower kept for team balance reasons rather than because he was a natural gloveman and he wasn't particularly tidy. He got the job done but I think if there are other options they should be explored. Taibu isn't far off the other middle order batting options and frees up Flower to just bat; he was also an absolutely fantastic gloveman. I don't really know a lot about Houghton's wicket keeping in general but I do want him to bat four and I shy away from having my keeper bat top four.
    I think this was my exact justification when I mentioned wicketkeepers earlier on. Hence, this.

I'll have Flower keep. Don't think Taibu had enough with the bat to justify picking him.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Difficult choice but I'm going to go with Flower as my keeper so we can pick an all rounder at 7 and another classy batsman like Taylor at 6.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

Taibu.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

International Debutant
    Flower.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Taibu
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I'll vote for Taibu.

Flower kept for team balance reasons rather than because he was a natural gloveman and he wasn't particularly tidy. He got the job done but I think if there are other options they should be explored. Taibu isn't far off the other middle order batting options and frees up Flower to just bat; he was also an absolutely fantastic gloveman. I don't really know a lot about Houghton's wicket keeping in general but I do want him to bat four and I shy away from having my keeper bat top four.
    This. And it's not like Taibu was that much worse with the bat than the other options.

Can't vote twice **** aka Morgie.

My biggest issue with Taibu is I'm not really sure where his head would be at in this type of format against the other world XI's.

I'm going to stick my nose in for the first time (just because it's mildly annoying ) and go for Taibu with the assumption that he is a pretty good keeper. I'm trusting PEWS opinion here.

In order to be competive during an ATG Test match.....

1. ....Andy Flower needs to score centuries in both innings, and he can't do that while needing a good lay down after keeping wicket for the best part of 2 days.
    2. ....the Zimbabwe bowling attack needs all the help it can get. It would be a shame if Flower drops a difficult catch off Bradman when he is on only 3. Yet Taibu takes similar catches in Domestic cricket as a matter of routine.
    3. ....an allrounder like Keith Miller or Mike Procter will need to be drafted into the No.7 spot should Flower take the gloves. Unfortunately, this is isn't going to happen so Taibu might as well occupy the spot.
    4. ....Taibu needs to keep his 'head'. Who knows, we could be pleasently surprised, so let's give be optimistic and give him a go.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Can't vote twice **** aka Morgie.

My biggest issue with Taibu is I'm not really sure where his head would be at in this type of format against the other world XI's.
    That wasn't meant to be a vote.

Seem to recall reading somewhere that Flower averaged more as a keeper than when he didn't have the gloves. So that makes me inclined ot pick Whittall over Taibu and let Flower do the keeping.

Don't know that I've ever seen Taibu keep though, so if someone can convince me that he was materially better than Flower, then I'd be willing to change my mind as it's a pretty close call...

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    3. ....an allrounder like Keith Miller or Mike Procter will need to be drafted into the No.7 spot should Flower take the gloves. Unfortunately, this is isn't going to happen so Taibu might as well occupy the spot.
    The thing is, this is geared towards Whittall getting the other opening slot (and tbh he doesn't have many challengers). Which then suggests a pure batsman at 6, because Flower provides a sixth bowling option and anything more is overkill. I'm thinking we're looking at:

1. Flower
    2. Whittall
    3. Goodwin
    4. Houghton
    5. Flower
    6. Taylor/Other Batsman
    7. Taibu

4-7 potentially all wicketkeepers. Pretty unique by any standards, let alone at ATG level. Would you shift the gloves if Flower made a duck and Taibu made 150* in the third innings?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information