• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe All-Time Test XI - Open Voting

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can't vote twice **** aka Morgie.

My biggest issue with Taibu is I'm not really sure where his head would be at in this type of format against the other world XI's.

watson

Banned
I'm going to stick my nose in for the first time (just because it's mildly annoying :p) and go for Taibu with the assumption that he is a pretty good keeper. I'm trusting PEWS opinion here.

In order to be competive during an ATG Test match.....

1. ....Andy Flower needs to score centuries in both innings, and he can't do that while needing a good lay down after keeping wicket for the best part of 2 days.
2. ....the Zimbabwe bowling attack needs all the help it can get. It would be a shame if Flower drops a difficult catch off Bradman when he is on only 3. Yet Taibu takes similar catches in Domestic cricket as a matter of routine.
3. ....an allrounder like Keith Miller or Mike Procter will need to be drafted into the No.7 spot should Flower take the gloves. Unfortunately, this is isn't going to happen so Taibu might as well occupy the spot.
4. ....Taibu needs to keep his 'head'. Who knows, we could be pleasently surprised, so let's give be optimistic and give him a go.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Seem to recall reading somewhere that Flower averaged more as a keeper than when he didn't have the gloves. So that makes me inclined ot pick Whittall over Taibu and let Flower do the keeping.

Don't know that I've ever seen Taibu keep though, so if someone can convince me that he was materially better than Flower, then I'd be willing to change my mind as it's a pretty close call...

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
3. ....an allrounder like Keith Miller or Mike Procter will need to be drafted into the No.7 spot should Flower take the gloves. Unfortunately, this is isn't going to happen so Taibu might as well occupy the spot.
The thing is, this is geared towards Whittall getting the other opening slot (and tbh he doesn't have many challengers). Which then suggests a pure batsman at 6, because Flower provides a sixth bowling option and anything more is overkill. I'm thinking we're looking at:

1. Flower
2. Whittall
3. Goodwin
4. Houghton
5. Flower
6. Taylor/Other Batsman
7. Taibu

4-7 potentially all wicketkeepers. Pretty unique by any standards, let alone at ATG level. Would you shift the gloves if Flower made a duck and Taibu made 150* in the third innings?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to stick my nose in for the first time (just because it's mildly annoying :p) and go for Taibu with the assumption that he is a pretty good keeper. I'm trusting PEWS opinion here.

In order to be competive during an ATG Test match.....

1. ....Andy Flower needs to score centuries in both innings, and he can't do that while needing a good lay down after keeping wicket for the best part of 2 days.
2. ....the Zimbabwe bowling attack needs all the help it can get. It would be a shame if Flower drops a difficult catch off Bradman when he is on only 3. Yet Taibu takes similar catches in Domestic cricket as a matter of routine.
4. ....Taibu needs to keep his 'head'. Who knows, we could be pleasently surprised, so let's give be optimistic and give him a go.
Well, Poctor represented Rhodesia for a long time. He wasn't born there and repped SA but given modern rules he prob could have qualified for Zim.