• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe All-Time Test XI - Open Voting

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I'm not going to be a Criteria Nazi. If you want to pick Hick, Rawson, Davison, Penney or anyone else like that then you're free to. I'm not going to list players like that on the suggested players list, or vote for them myself, but if you don't think they'd look out of place in this side then go for it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In fact, bugger it. I'll remove my vote for Johnson and vote for Colin Bland. He played the majority of his first class cricket for Rhodesia and it'd be a much classier middle order with Bland in the mix.

So, my votes are now:

Flower, A
Bland
Houghton

Price

When the next round's up, I'll probably forget that I didn't vote for Johnson. Again.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If we go with no eligibility requirements, then arguably you could end up with this:

Flower (?)
Goodwin
Hick
Houghton
Flower +
Bland
Procter *
Davison
Curran
Streak
Rawson

Which seems to be taking the piss a bit, to be honest.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If we go with no eligibility requirements, then arguably you could end up with this:

Flower (?)
Goodwin
Hick
Houghton
Flower +
Bland
Procter *
Davison
Curran
Streak
Rawson

Which seems to be taking the piss a bit, to be honest.
Procter wouldn't count. He was signed by Rhodesia as an overseas pro. Born and raised in SA, and had already made his intl debut before he signed with Rhodesia. Guys like Bland, Hick and Curran were individuals who grew up in Zimbabwe, were products of their system, and the only reason why they didn't play test cricket for Zim was due to the fact that Zimbabwe wasn't a test nation at the time.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Fair point - but regardless you'd shift everyone up one and add a spinner in at 11 (Price/Strang) and be set.

the big bambino

International Captain
Bland played all his cricket for SA whereas Davison never represented at test level so should be available for selection for this thread.

Therefore consider this post a minus 1 for Bland.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it highly likely that Bland would have played for Zimbabwe if it were an option back then, but yes, it is peculiar. But then, John Traicos played for both.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm happy to accept Traicos bcos he atleast qualifies. Whereas Bland by circumstance is a Saffer imo. Bit like Prince Ranji or Duleep I guess. No India at the time meant they played their cricket for England. Although the latter was prevented by poor health from playing for India in which case, like Traicos, I'd qualify him for his nation of birth if he played for 2 countries.

Edit: Just read that Traicos was born in Egypt!