Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zimbabwe All-Time Test XI - Open Voting

Streak and Strang are good enough to bat at 8 and 9 so its not as important to select a player like Blignaut, but I suppose the question of a 3rd seamer vs 2nd spinner will impact on Whittal's chances of being selected. I know Heath likes Johnson, I rate Sean Ervine highly, although his Test career has been brief.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Campbell for the batting slot and Streak must be the first bowler on the list

As to the second on the strength of the man I saw in county cricket I'd go for Johnson

International Debutant
    Kevin Arnott. Never heard of him but he can't be worse than the others who I have heard of and are awful. So take a punt on the devil you don't know.

Opening Bowlers. Heath Streak and Peter Rawson. The latter a member of the 1983 upset team iirc. Anyway its his birthday today and he was a good bowler who never got much of a chance.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Grant Flower

Heath Streak & Kyle Jarvis
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Flower, G as the opener.

Streak & Pommie as the bowlers.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Streak and Pommie to bowl, though I think if we could extend the requirement to "representative" cricket then Rawson would be a shout.

Grant Flower as opener. Arnott was unlucky test cricket didn't arrive 5 years earlier - he averaged near 40 against the various international and youth teams that Zimbabwe played in the run-up to test admission.

Flower, Streak and Jarvis

Tempted by Arnott, but to be honest about it he probably would not have maintained that average if he had played a lot of tests. Grant had a very long decline as we all know, but for a few years he was a genuine test-class opener.

Streak picks himself, and I back Jarvis to surpass every other Zimbabwean fast bowler. Rawson was good, but we don't know how he would have gone in tests. Is it possible to pick him as a third seamer?
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    Flower, Streak and Jarvis

Tempted by Arnott, but to be honest about it he probably would not have maintained that average if he had played a lot of tests. Grant had a very long decline as we all know, but for a few years he was a genuine test-class opener.

Streak picks himself, and I back Jarvis to surpass every other Zimbabwean fast bowler. Rawson was good, but we don't know how he would have gone in tests. Is it possible to pick him as a third seamer?
    You can pick whoever you like. I prefer to judge at least primarily based on Tests for Zimbabwe which rules Rawson out for me (otherwise I'd be considering Hick as well) but you don't have to go by my criteria. You'll have an opportunity to pick a third seamer later, although I imagine you might end up voting for Price instead of one during that round (assuming the forum picks Strang as the main spinner).
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Streak
    Brandes

Campbell

I really rated Brandes
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You can pick whoever you like. I prefer to judge at least primarily based on Tests for Zimbabwe which rules Rawson out for me (otherwise I'd be considering Hick as well) but you don't have to go by my criteria. You'll have an opportunity to pick a third seamer later, although I imagine you might end up voting for Price instead of one during that round (assuming the forum picks Strang as the main spinner).
    Jarvis has only played against Windies and Bang though. Not enough of a test. Rawson could very likely have been better.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Jarvis has only played against Windies and Bang though.
    Which is why I voted for Brain.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I'm surprised I'm the only one picking Brandes. He had something about him. Bowled a heavy ball, moved it away from the bat. IMO, more deserving than the rest of the names.

Jarvis looks like a talented club cricketer, Mbangwa was a terrible international bowler - basically Mark Butcher without the batting, and Olonga charged in hard all day to bowl gun barrel straight at 130 kph.

Not much comp for me for The Chicken Farmer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I'm agreed with you - Brandes was a quality bowler and another for whom Test Cricket came just a tad too late.

Mbangwa was miserly accurate but not much more than that. Throw in that he competes with Chris Martin for the title of worst test batsman of the last 25 years and his inclusion in this team is difficult to build a case for IMO.

Olonga was very similar to Devon Malcolm - lethal on his day, just that day didn't come along that often.

Depending on the balance of the side, my bowlers would come from:-

Automatic picks - Streak, Brandes
    Then any two from - Brain, Blignaut, P Strang, Price

Batsmen - G Flower, Whittall, Campbell, Goodwin, Houghton, A Flower

All-rounder - Johnson

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    My list from 2007

1. G Flower
    2. A Campbell (c)
    3. M Goodwin
    4. D Houghton
    5. A Flower (wk)
    6. G Whitall
    7. H Streak
    8. P Strang
    9. A Blignaut
    10. R Price
    11. H Olonga

I'll stand by it. Even with the emergence of Taylor and Taibu, whose records against teams which aren't Bangladesh are poor.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Results

Heath Streak 17
    Kyle Jarvis 8

Pommie Mbangwa 3
    David Brain 2
    Eddo Brandes 2
    Neil Johnson 1
    Peter Rawson 1

Grant Flower 13
    Alistair Campbell 2
    Kevil Arnott 1

Team so far

1. Grant Flower
    8. Heath Streak (o)
    11. Kyle Jarvis (o)

Next up you are to select THREE middle order batsmen and ONE spinner.

Don't worry about wicket keeping or bowling when selecting the middle order bats; we'll vote on some balance options later. The aim at the moment is just to fill the 3-5 spots with the best middle order bats adjudged by CW.

Middle order suggestions:

Code:
    PLAYER			TEST CAREER	BATTING 3-6

Andy Flower		4794r @ 51.54	4646r @ 51.05
    Dave Houghton		1464r @ 43.05	1464r @ 43.05
    Murray Goodwin		1414r @ 42.84	1414r @ 42.84
    Tatenda Taibu		1546r @ 30.31	1115r @ 34.84
    Sean Ervine		261r @ 32.62	202r @ 33.66
    Guy Whittall		2207r @ 29.42	1277r @ 33.60
    Brendan Taylor		1182r @ 34.76	994r @ 31.06
    Neil Johnson		532r @ 24.18	514r @ 30.23
    Stuart Carlisle		1615r @ 26.91	1135r @ 27.68
    Alastair Campbell	2858r @ 27.21	2453r @ 26.37
    Spin bowler suggestions:

Code:
    PLAYER			TEST CAREER

Adam Huckle		25w @ 34.88
    Paul Strang		70w @ 36.02
    Ray Price		80w @ 36.06
    John Traicos		14w @ 40.14
    Graeme Cremer		24w @ 45.62
    Brian Murphy		18w @ 61.83
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 27-05-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information