Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodwin for Australia

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar

Goodwin for Australia

Andre pointed this out to me last night on MSN

originally from Wisden Cricinfo
    Murray Goodwin has said that he would love to play for Australia when he becomes eligible to do so in seven months.

Goodwin was born in Harare, but moved to Australia when he was 13, only returning to Zimbabwe in 1997 to pursue an international career in which he played 19 Tests and 71 ODIs. But at the end of Zimbabwe's tour of England in 2000 he announced that he was quitting international cricket and he moved back to Perth, resuming a career with Western Australia which had started in 1996-97.

Under International Cricket Council rules, a player cannot be selected by a country if he has represented another nation in the preceding four years. Goodwin's last appearance for Zimbabwe was the NatWest Series final against England at Lord's on July 22, 2000.

"The thought of playing international cricket again keeps me going," Goodwin told the Western Australian newspaper. "I set myself pretty high standards and if I can keep performing well for WA, who knows down the line? It would be great to play for Australia. All I can do is just make runs and leave it up to the selectors.

"Playing for Australia is a way off. Even though I'm a naturalised Australian I can't play until after this season. Even then I'd be 31 and whether they look at me is another story. But I'd love to play for Australia. It would be awesome.

"I want to keep playing for WA as long as I'm good enough to play and they want me."
    So what do you guys think , he will be 34 in 2007.

Personally I have no doubts he's good enough , just a matter of do they want to pick a 31 year old in an already ageing middle order , it would be a bit of a betrayal to Love , Katich , Clarke , etc to just pick him as soon as he becomes available , I guess we'll just have to wait & see.
    Thats a couple of interesting things coming up in July as I beleive Pieterson is eligable for England then aswell.

Tim
    I seriously doubt it...at the age of 34, he will be up against it.
    Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Gilchrist have all got a few years left in them yet..Ponting more than the rest & presumably Clarke will get the other spot.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I'm very much disappointed in Murray Goodwin.

He leaves Zimbabwe stranded on tha basis that he didn't want to play international cricket anymore. Now he claims that he's willing to play again, but for a team which does not need his services.

Good job.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Very true Mr Mxy (is that abbreviation alright?! lol).

I just cant see him getting in anyway. Theres just no room.
    The only time there will be is if theres an injury or a retirement, and then it will probably go to someone younger anyway.
    If he was as good a bowler as he is a batsman, different story.

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    He leaves Zimbabwe stranded on tha basis that he didn't want to play international cricket anymore. Now he claims that he's willing to play again, but for a team which does not need his services.
    That's disingenuous, Liam. That wasn't his publically stated reason at all. In fact, I remember that at the time he, in fact, stated he was extremely disappointed that he could no longer play for Zim as it's his home country. The politics and safety issues just somewhat got in the way.

As for whether he'd play, Australia hasn't been in the habit of picking 30+ year-old batsmen for their debuts in general. I doubt an exception would be made, even for one so gifted as Goodwin.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Rik
    Originally posted by Tim
    I seriously doubt it...at the age of 34, he will be up against it.
    Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Gilchrist have all got a few years left in them yet..Ponting more than the rest & presumably Clarke will get the other spot.
    He'll be 34 in 2007, that's plenty of time. Doubt he'll get picked though.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    I was under the impression that once a player plays for an international team he cannot play for another one ever?
    Or did they change the rules? or am i just wrong

Rik
    Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
    I was under the impression that once a player plays for an international team he cannot play for another one ever?
    If that was the case, Kepler Wessels would be long gone...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by Top_Cat
    That's disingenuous, Liam. That wasn't his publically stated reason at all. In fact, I remember that at the time he, in fact, stated he was extremely disappointed that he could no longer play for Zim as it's his home country. The politics and safety issues just somewhat got in the way.
    That's not the way I heard it. I heard that he wanted to make a living with County Cricket etc. instead, because of financial issues.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I'm very much disappointed in Murray Goodwin.

Good job.
    Personally I heard it the way Corey did.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
    Long time no see.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Yeah, Space abandoned us before some did.
    A long time here (August 2003) for that number of posts.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Originally posted by Richard
    Yeah, Space abandoned us before some did.
    A long time here (August 2003) for that number of posts.
    Compared to some people that is :P .
    Mr 15.55 posts per day:O

I beleive thats 6 of us now , you , Craig , me , Arjun , Amits (:rolleyes: ) & SM.

Welcome
    Last edited by iamdavid; 22-12-2003 at 04:26 AM.

Richard, by any chance do you have MSN? Please respond whether you do or not.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Originally posted by Top_Cat

As for whether he'd play, Australia hasn't been in the habit of picking 30+ year-old batsmen for their debuts in general. I doubt an exception would be made, even for one so gifted as Goodwin.
    You are correct Top_Cat he wanted to play for Zimbabwe and live in Australia but it was Zimbabwe who said he couldn't play for them unless he played domestic cricket in Zimbabwe.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information