• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand All Time Team - Open Voting

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cowie and Bond clearly home and hosed, as they should be, but I'll add my votes just so I've posted here and don't forget about the thread

Flem274*

123/5
Quite surprised and chuffed at all the Cowie votes from internationals tbh. Didn't think he was too well known outside NZ circles.

Fred's article must have done the trick. Or maybe it was PEWS rating him the greatest bowler of all time.:ph34r:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry for the delay guys. Long day at work.

Cowie and Bond in that order won this one hands down. Team thus far

01. Glenn Turner
02. Stewie Dempster
04. Martin Crowe
08. Richard Hadle
10. Shane Bond
11. Jack Cowie

Now for the middle order, I will presume Crowe is a certainty here, but who will surrond him at four and five.
Kindly choose any two of the following or any of your own choosing.

Nathan Astle | Bev Congdon | Martin Donnelly | Stephen Fleming | Andrew Jones | Craig McMillan | John F Reid | John R Reid | Bert Sutcliffe

While we are at it lets complete the middle order with an the All Rounder position. As before Kindly choose any one of the following.

Chris Cairns | Jacob Oram | John R Reid | Bruce Taylor

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

And there I was about to vote for Bob Blair and Iain O'Brien. Damn you.

Bert Sutcliffe and Martin Donnelly

And for the All-Rounder, John R Reid

Though you'd better not be forcing us to pick a spinner at #9. If so, then I'll swap Reid for Cairns.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Disappointed at the lack of Richardson love for the opener's spot. I really don't like the idea of selecting guys like dempster and donnelly because they played jack all test matches. Not their fault, but we'll just never know how good they really were.

Jones and Astle at 5 and 6. Cairns at 8 pushing Hadlee back to 9. Four pronged pace with Crowe as the fill bowler.

By the way, there isn't a compulsory spinner spot in this, is there? We don't have any worthy tbh. Vettori's record is acceptable but he never did much in spin-friendly conditions, making it pretty pointless to remove a seamer for him, especially with a gun like Cairns.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Disappointed at the lack of Richardson love for the opener's spot. I really don't like the idea of selecting guys like dempster and donnelly because they played jack all test matches. Not their fault, but we'll just never know how good they really were.
Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock also worth ignoring because of a lack of Test matches?

Dempster and Donnelly were a class apart from other NZ cricketers of their day. Both being named one of Wisden's Cricketers of the Year in the 30s and 40s respective. Dempster being as the finest player of spin of his generation (though, granted, I can't remember who said this and whether it's credible or not) but to dismiss them out of hand and Wisden crediting Donnelly as the finest left hander in the game at the time of them naming him as a Cricketer of the Year.

Plus, Stewie Dempster is on the Petone Walk of Fame (along with a certain I. O'Brien), so that's gotta count for something.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock also worth ignoring because of a lack of Test matches?
Yep for Richards. Pollock probably just scrapes in.

Dempster and Donnelly were a class apart from other NZ cricketers of their day. Both being named one of Wisden's Cricketers of the Year in the 30s and 40s respective. Dempster being as the finest player of spin of his generation (though, granted, I can't remember who said this and whether it's credible or not) but to dismiss them out of hand and Wisden crediting Donnelly as the finest left hander in the game at the time of them naming him as a Cricketer of the Year.
For me, personally, I don't know that so refuse to vote them in based on a puddle of test matches and some superlative eyewitness accounts. They probably were awesome but that doesn't mean they have to qualify for these sorts of lists, the sample size means it's not possibly to judge fairly. Those sorts of players stand in their own kind of group and shouldn't be compared to full test careers.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

But even had they played "full careers", how many games would they have played?

Donnelly's career was punctuated by the 2nd world war and NZ hardly played any Test matches back then. Bert Sutcliffe had an 18 year career featuring 42 Tests. Walter Hadlee, 11 Tests in as many years.

Richardson himself only played 38 Tests over a paltry 4 years.

I just don't think that a NZ all-time team can dismiss some of the players who were considered fantastic players at a time when few tests were played.

Flem274*

123/5
Cricinfo picking McMillan for the shortlist over Ross Taylor is absolute bull****.

Sutcliffe
Donnelly

JR Reid
This.

If we were to play against one of the subcontinent sides in their own conditions I would pick six pure batsmen and make a horses for courses selection by picking Stephen Fleming at six. He has a case for being our finest player of spin. Only Warne consistently succeeded against him and Fleming still had his number on a few occassions.

Playing Fleming against Murali is an absolute must imo.

Also Darlingface, in a world where we're resurrecting people from the dead to play cricket I'm sure we can make Bond invincible, making Bruce Taylor unnecessary.:p

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Cricinfo's list was done years ago though, like 2009 or something. He's clearly ahead of him now.

Anyone else think Fleming's a tad underrated on here? Sure he had a dreadful conversion rate, but he played in a time with some great fast bowlers, and two of the greatest spin bowlers of all-time. His record against South Africa, Pakistan and particularly against Murali have to count for something. Averages 47 at number three as well.

Flem274*

123/5
Despite his average of 47 at number three, I think Fleming's statistics suffer from three things:

1) Converting 50s into 100s
2) He's a much better batsman against spin than pace
3) He batted too high for the majority of his career

He has two hundreds and an average just under 34 in over 50 home tests. In contrast, he averages 65 on the subcontinent with 3 very big hundreds in 18 tests.