• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand All Time Team - Open Voting

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
NSW definitely would. Vic, Qld, WA & SA would be an even money chance.
What is your point? Just continuing the age old trend of putting down the little fullas over the Tasman? In fact, would NSW even send that team? They'd probably send a second XI made up of youngsters with a senior head or two to keep 'em in line.

And as for the other states - who gets Clarrie Grimmett? Or would NSW take him for the 2nd XI as he played club cricket there?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
What is your point? Just continuing the age old trend of putting down the little fullas over the Tasman? In fact, would NSW even send that team? They'd probably send a second XI made up of youngsters with a senior head or two to keep 'em in line.

And as for the other states - who gets Clarrie Grimmett? Or would NSW take him for the 2nd XI as he played club cricket there?
No point. Just talking **** cos I'm bored. I'll stop now.

Flem274*

123/5
No spinner? How do you rate Vettori? Who do you reckon are the leading spin contenders?
J.R. Reid bowled both fast medium and off spin.

Beyond him, no one. They're a waste of a spot, Vettori included. Vettori would definitely push for a spot if his 2005 batting onwards was extended back to 1997, or his 1997 - 2002 bowling was extended for his entire career, or even better if he pulled off both at the same time, but it didn't pan out that way so he misses out.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
J.R. Reid bowled both fast medium and off spin.

Beyond him, no one. They're a waste of a spot, Vettori included.
Agreed.

Turner and Sutcliffe for me. I would like to have Dempster at 4 where he batted for Leicestershire.

Mike5181

International Captain
All-time:

1. Glenn Turner
  2. Stewie Dempster
  3. Bert Sutcliffe
  4. Martin Crowe
  5. Martin Donnelly/Stephen Fleming/Ross Taylor
  6. John R Reid
  7. Christopher Cairns
  8. Brendon McCullum+
  9. Richard Hadlee
  10. Shane Bond
  11. Jack Cowie

Best I've seen:

1. Mark Richardson
  2. Brendon McCullum
  3. Stephen Fleming
  4. Ross Taylor
  5. Nathan Astle
  6. Christopher Cairns
  7. Daniel Vettori
  8. Adam Parore+
  9. Tim Southee
  10. Shane Bond
  11. Trent Boult

Won't be long until Williamson/Ryder take Astle's spot.
Oram probably unlucky.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
NSW definitely would. Vic, Qld, WA & SA would be an even money chance.

Even without Bradman, the NSW side would be...

Morris
Simpson
Macartney
McCabe
Trumper
Waugh
Murdoch
Lindwall
Davidson
McGrath
O'Reilly
You always have some interesting XI's Monk.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Most of Australia's ATG Sheffield Shield sides would beat whatever NZ side is selected.
get out of the thread.

if you need an explanation - what you have written might be accurate but it is arrogant and shows poor manners.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Would once again be starting with the openers. As not that familiar with New Zealand cricket will be using the shortlist from Cricinfo's exercise.

Would also like to note at this point that Richard Hadlee due to his unquestioned status of the greatest N.Z cricketer is an automatic selection to the XI.

Back on topic, kindly choose two of the following or any two of your own choosing.

Stewie Dempster | Graham Dowling | Bruce Edgar | Mark Richardson | Bert Sutcliffe | Glenn Turner | John Wright
bruce edgar, sutcliffe

Flametree

International 12th Man
Turner and Dempster

Really think we should claim back Grimmett for this exercise... Australia didn't need him.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Glenn Turner and Mark Richardson.

I've decided to throw a vote Richardson's way due to his impressive ability at blunting the opposition new ball bowlers. Handy Test bowling average of 21 too. :ph34r:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Clear victories for Stewie Dempster and Glenn Turner. Team so far,

01. Glenn Turner
02. Stewie Dempster
08. Richard Hadle

Next up is the other two fast bowlers to pair with Hadlee, The bolwer with the most votes of the two, to open with Hadlee.
Kindly select any two of the following or anyone of your own choosing.

Shane Bond | Ewen Chatfield | Richard Collinge | Jack Cowie | Chris Martin | Danny Morrison | Dick Motz

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cowie for sure. Not as clear on the other - someone want to convince me to vote against Bond?

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
get out of the thread.

if you need an explanation - what you have written might be accurate but it is arrogant and shows poor manners.
It wasn't intended to be arrogant, nor do I think it showed poor manners in any way. It was just an observation.

Flem274*

123/5
Shane Bond | Ewen Chatfield | Richard Collinge | Jack Cowie | Chris Martin | Danny Morrison | Dick Motz
Cowie
Bond

That really is quite a weird little selection of bowlers from cricinfo. Taylor? Cameron? I'm going to assume Chris Cairns is in the allrounder category otherwise...

Morrison and Marto shouldn't be on that list. Nice to see Dick Motz wasn't forgotten. Chatfield was a gun foil for Hadlee and a great character of the game but I'm not sure he's a top eight bowler for us.

Heef to castigate me.

edit: actually I hope we are able to pick both Cairns and J.R. Reid in this exercise (cricinfo didn't allow it iirc). I don't think we should be forced to pick a spinner either. It would be like requiring India to pick 3 or 4 quicks when their strength lies in all their spin options.

Not trying to criticise kyear, just hoping there is a bit of room to play with the structure.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As before, Cowie and Bond - with Baylor to step in when Bond breaks down injured half an hour before the beginning of a test.