• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand All Time Team - Open Voting

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
And that there are only 6 FC teams in Australia. And for much of their history, not that many. And how cricket is followed by a lot more people in Australia than in NZ. And how the three strongest Aussie states are more populous than NZ to begin with.

I'm not sure what his point was really.
I didn't really have a point. It was just an observation on the fact that NZ have only produced one really outstanding cricketer. Hadlee would contend for any nation's ATG XI, but apart from that, there's not much there. Crowe was certainly a good batsman, but there's no way he'd make it in to an Australia, WIs or England ATG middle order. He might not even make it in to NSW's ATG middle order.

FWIW my NZ team would be:

Turner
Dempster

Sutcliffe
Crowe
Fleming*
C.Cairns
Hadlee
Vettori
Wadsworth+
Cowie
Bond

Red

Yourposting on a cricket forum when not knowing the result of a match was a great move.
Why is knowing the result of NZ's current test match needed if you're doing a NZ ATG thread? None of them will make it in.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't really have a point. It was just an observation on the fact that NZ have only produced one really outstanding cricketer. Hadlee would contend for any nation's ATG XI, but apart from that, there's not much there. Crowe was certainly a good batsman, but there's no way he'd make it in to an Australia, WIs or England ATG middle order. He might not even make it in to NSW's ATG middle order.

FWIW my NZ team would be:

Turner
Dempster

Sutcliffe
Crowe
Fleming*
C.Cairns
Hadlee
Vettori
Wadsworth+
Cowie
Bond
Definitely not, imo. Bradman, Border, S.Waugh, M.Waugh, McCabe, Harvey, Clarke and Walters are all there.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
lol :D

Never know Monk, quite a fan of Ross Taylor.

Just a btw, Cook looking quite comfortable in the slips.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Why is knowing the result of NZ's current test match needed if you're doing a NZ ATG thread? None of them will make it in.
McCullum in with a shout as a keeper-batsman, particularly if people go down the AR route and pick Cairns, Vettori & Hadlee

1. How
  2. Papps
  3. Jones
  4. Crowe
  5. Donnelly
  6. McCullum +
  7. Cairns
  8. Vettori *
  9. Hadlee
  10. Bond
  11. Cowie

Flem274*

123/5
Taylor is so ridiculously close to this side it's not funny. Already a better batsman than the likes of Fleming who are also hovering. He also has about 30 more tests to his name than guys who were probably a bit better than him like Donnelly and J.F. Reid (if accounts of their batting when they played match up to the truth).

Turner
Dempster
Sutcliffe
Crowe
Donnelly
J.R. Reid
Cairns
Hadlee
Parore
Bond
Cowie

Bruce Taylor, J.F. Reid, Ross Taylor, Richard Collinge, Stephen Fleming and Ian Smith/Brendon McCullum all hovering.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I'll put it out there that one of Southee and Boult will demand inclusion by this time 2015. Bond's injury record will count against him a lot.

Cowie a different case obvz.

Mike5181

International Captain
McCullum's better than Parore was. The latter was a slightly better keeper, especially when you consider how good he was with the gloves in the early 00s. Overall package I'd still have McCullum, he's wasn't exactly Kamran Akmal himself.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of Australia's ATG Sheffield Shield sides would beat whatever NZ side is selected.
Wow.

Anyway, definitely Stew Dempster.
I'm also going to go for Bert Sutcliffe, though he'll hopefully get a gig in the middle order if Glenn Turner takes the opening spot.

Red

Taylor is so ridiculously close to this side it's not funny. Already a better batsman than the likes of Fleming who are also hovering. He also has about 30 more tests to his name than guys who were probably a bit better than him like Donnelly and J.F. Reid (if accounts of their batting when they played match up to the truth).

Turner
Dempster
Sutcliffe
Crowe
Donnelly
J.R. Reid
Cairns
Hadlee
Parore
Bond
Cowie

Bruce Taylor, J.F. Reid, Ross Taylor, Richard Collinge, Stephen Fleming and Ian Smith/Brendon McCullum all hovering.
No spinner? How do you rate Vettori? Who do you reckon are the leading spin contenders?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Since people seem to be just throwing down their full AT XI's, I will too.

Turner
Wright
Sutcliffe
Crowe
Donnelly
Reid
Cairns
McCullum
Hadlee
Bond
Cowie

Baylor to come into the side when Bond inevitably keels over halfway through the first match of a hypothetical AT series. No need for a spinner, as any Kiwi tweaker would get obliterated by the other AT batting lineups. Reid can be relied upon to bowl some sla when required.

Was tempted to include Collinge. His tall left arm seamers would offer a point of difference to what is otherwise a fairly samey attack. But ultimately his mediocre stats counted against him.

Red

NSW definitely would. Vic, Qld, WA & SA would be an even money chance.

Even without Bradman, the NSW side would be...

Morris
Simpson
Macartney
McCabe
Trumper
Waugh
Murdoch
Lindwall
Davidson
McGrath
O'Reilly

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
who cares though.

Northern Districts would probably thrash Bangladesh.

it's obviously not going to be the strongest ATG team, but that makes it more fun tbh.

We have to make do with some mythical names of players who played 10 tests and about 3 or 4 genuine ATGs.

It's fun