Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 179

Thread: New Zealand All Time Team - Open Voting

  1. #16
    International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leeds, G.O.C.
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    And that there are only 6 FC teams in Australia. And for much of their history, not that many. And how cricket is followed by a lot more people in Australia than in NZ. And how the three strongest Aussie states are more populous than NZ to begin with.

    I'm not sure what his point was really.
    Could build a stronger Yorkshire XI than mos test ATG sides tbh.

    Have to consider Martin Crowe and Hadlee as givens from the off right?

    Do we have a qualifying number of tests for this?
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

  2. #17
    International Captain Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    7,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    Could build a stronger Yorkshire XI than mos test ATG sides tbh.

    Have to consider Martin Crowe and Hadlee as givens from the off right?

    Do we have a qualifying number of tests for this?
    Wouldn't think so, as some of NZ's greatest cricketers played in an era when we played sfa tests. Jack Cowie is the classic example. I guess you could maybe split it up between pre-war and post-war players though.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 19-05-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  3. #18
    Hall of Fame Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,752
    Glenn Turner
    John Wright (got to get a Derbyshire player in somewhere)
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  4. #19
    International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Harsh Reality
    Posts
    4,046
    Turner and Dempster
    PRE WWI
    Grace-Trumper-Hill-Taylor-Ranjitsinhji-Faulkner-Noble-Lilley-Turner-Richardson-Barnes
    PRE WWII
    Hobbs-Sutcliffe-Bradman-Hammond-Headley-Macartney-Ames-Gregory-Larwood-O'Reilly-Grimmett
    POST WWII
    Hutton-Simpson-Kanhai-Pollock-Harvey-Sobers-Waite-Benaud-Davidson-Lindwall-Trueman
    PACKER ERA
    Gavaskar-Greenidge-Richards-Chappell-Lloyd-Botham-Imran-Knott-Lillee-Holding-Underwood
    MODERN ERA
    Hayden-Langer-Ponting-Tendulkar-Lara-Kallis-Gilchrist-Marshall-Warne-Ambrose-McGrath


  5. #20
    International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    4,410
    You chose the day of one of our most painful defeats to make this thread, ffs?
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan


    Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

  6. #21
    International Regular Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    And that there are only 6 FC teams in Australia. And for much of their history, not that many. And how cricket is followed by a lot more people in Australia than in NZ. And how the three strongest Aussie states are more populous than NZ to begin with.

    I'm not sure what his point was really.
    I didn't really have a point. It was just an observation on the fact that NZ have only produced one really outstanding cricketer. Hadlee would contend for any nation's ATG XI, but apart from that, there's not much there. Crowe was certainly a good batsman, but there's no way he'd make it in to an Australia, WIs or England ATG middle order. He might not even make it in to NSW's ATG middle order.

    FWIW my NZ team would be:

    Turner
    Dempster

    Sutcliffe
    Crowe
    Fleming*
    C.Cairns
    Hadlee
    Vettori
    Wadsworth+
    Cowie
    Bond

  7. #22
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    5,255
    Jamie How
    Michael Papps

  8. #23
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    You chose the day of one of our most painful defeats to make this thread, ffs?
    Only now watching the last day's play. But thanks for giving it away.
    1st XI
    Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman* | Richards^ | Tendulkar | Sobers5^ | Gilchrist+ | Khan3 | Marshall1 | Warne4^ | McGrath2
    2nd XI
    Sutcliffe | Gavaskar* | Headley | Chappell^ | Lara^ | Kallis5^ | Knott+ | Hadlee3 | Ambrose2 | Lillee1 | Muralitharan4
    3rd XI
    Greenidge | Richards^ | Ponting^ | Pollock | Hammond^ | Worrell5* | Waite+ | Akram3 | Steyn1 | Holding2 | O'Reilly4
    4th XI
    Morris | Simpson^ | Sangakkara | Weekes^ | Border*^ | Walcott+ | Faulkner5 | Laker4 | Trueman1 | Garner3 | Donald2

  9. #24
    International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    4,410
    Yourposting on a cricket forum when not knowing the result of a match was a great move.

  10. #25
    International Regular Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Yourposting on a cricket forum when not knowing the result of a match was a great move.
    Why is knowing the result of NZ's current test match needed if you're doing a NZ ATG thread? None of them will make it in.

  11. #26
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I didn't really have a point. It was just an observation on the fact that NZ have only produced one really outstanding cricketer. Hadlee would contend for any nation's ATG XI, but apart from that, there's not much there. Crowe was certainly a good batsman, but there's no way he'd make it in to an Australia, WIs or England ATG middle order. He might not even make it in to NSW's ATG middle order.

    FWIW my NZ team would be:

    Turner
    Dempster

    Sutcliffe
    Crowe
    Fleming*
    C.Cairns
    Hadlee
    Vettori
    Wadsworth+
    Cowie
    Bond
    Definitely not, imo. Bradman, Border, S.Waugh, M.Waugh, McCabe, Harvey, Clarke and Walters are all there.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. R.G Pollock 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.J Procter 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

  12. #27
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,146
    Monk to stop waving his embarrassingly small penis at us in this thread imo.

    Turner
    Dempster
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  13. #28
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,596
    lol

    Never know Monk, quite a fan of Ross Taylor.

    Just a btw, Cook looking quite comfortable in the slips.

  14. #29
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    5,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Why is knowing the result of NZ's current test match needed if you're doing a NZ ATG thread? None of them will make it in.
    McCullum in with a shout as a keeper-batsman, particularly if people go down the AR route and pick Cairns, Vettori & Hadlee

    1. How
    2. Papps
    3. Jones
    4. Crowe
    5. Donnelly
    6. McCullum +
    7. Cairns
    8. Vettori *
    9. Hadlee
    10. Bond
    11. Cowie

  15. #30
    International Regular Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Monk to stop waving his embarrassingly small penis at us in this thread imo.

    Turner
    Dempster


    Sorry Flem.

    Ween - I'm Waving My Dick in The Wind - YouTube

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. All Time Chasing Team?
    By hang on in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15-12-2011, 09:17 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 12:18 AM
  3. Qayyum's report
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 07:25 AM
  4. What is your state/provinces all time greatest team?
    By stephen in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 30-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •