• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand All Time Team - Open Voting

Flametree

International 12th Man
No-one criticises South Africa's bowling attack for being samey, despite the fact that Steyn, Philander, Morkel and Kallis are all right arm quicks.
Yeah but plenty of people criticise them for never having a decent spinner...

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but plenty of people criticise them for never having a decent spinner...
Clearly you don't need a decent spinner to be successful. I thought the Windies established that? A good spinner will obviously help, and be a great asset. If you don't have a good spinner though, its better to just go with the good/great quicks you have.

watson

Banned
Clearly you don't need a decent spinner to be successful. I thought the Windies established that? A good spinner will obviously help, and be a great asset. If you don't have a good spinner though, its better to just go with the good/great quicks you have.
One of the aspects of a spinner is that they increase the effectiveness of the pace attack by (presumerably) causing the batsman to readjust their technique at the beginning of each over.

It is a simple fact that the West Indian attacks of the 80s were more potent with 3 quicks and a spinner/medium pacer, than a full-frontal assault of 4 quicks.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Cricketweb Australia All Time XI
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Sir Donald Bradman *
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne
Denis Lille
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

Ricky Ponting
Allan Davidson

Cricketweb West Indies All Time XI
Gordon Greenidge
Sir Conrad Hunte
George Headley *
Sir I.V.A. Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Clyde Walcott +
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner

Frank Worrell
Lance Gibbs

Cricketweb England All Time XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton *
Wally Hammond
Ken Barrington
Denis Compton
Sir Ian Botham
Allan Knott +
Jim Laker
Harold Larwood
Fred Trueman
Syd Barnes

Hedley Verity
Kevin Pietersen

Cricketweb South Africa All Time XI
Barry Richards
Graeme Smith *
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
John Waite +
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Shaun Pollock
Herbie Taylor

Cricketweb Pakistan All Time XI
Hanif Mohammad
Saeed Anwar
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Mushtaq Mohammad
Imran Khan *
Rashid Latif +
Wasim Akram
Fazal Mahmood
Waqar Younis

Mohammad Yousuf
Saqlain Mushtaq

Cricketweb India All Time XI
Sunil Gavaskar
Vijay Merchant
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Vijay Hazare
Vinoo Mankad
Farokh Engineer
Kapil Dev
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Erapalli Prasanna

Mohammad Azharuddin
Amar Singh

Cricketweb Sri Lankan All Time XI
Marvan Atapattu
Sanath Jayasuriya
Kumar Sangakkara
Aravinda de Silva
Mahela Jayawardene *
Thilan Samaraweera
Prasanna Jayawardene +
Chaminda Vaas
Lasith Malinga
Muttiah Muralitharan
Rangana Herath

Arjuna Ranatunga
Ashantha de Mel

Cricketweb New Zealand All Time XI
Glenn Turner
Stewie Dempster
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe
Martin Donnelley
Brendon McCullum
John R. Reid
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond
Jack Cowie

Stephen Fleming
Hedley Howarth
So which team would win?

watson

Banned
West Indies or South Africa for mine.

Would like to go for Australia but tbh I think that both Trumper and Morris would fold too quickly when put under pressure by Marshall/Ambrose/Holding/Garner or Procter/Donald/Steyn. They might make the odd good partnership but I think that they would be too inconsistent over the usual 5 Test duel. It then becomes a question as to how many runs Bradman/Chappell/Border can score against a ball with some shine on it, relative to the West Indian or South African line-ups of course.

But whether my guess is right or wrong, I think the team with the most 'counter-attacking' players who don't fold under pressure is most likely to win a head-to-head contest. That is, when the skill level is very close, character counts for everything.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia for me...I somehow feel spin of Australia can nail West Indies and SA other 2 strong teams..
I actually created a thread for this type of discussion.

People seem to forget that Headley, Lara, Sobers, Walcott and yes, even IVA were excellent players of spin. Lara scored almost all of his great innings againts Warne and Mcgrath and sometime Mcgill. Headley scored hundreds on uncovered wickets againts Verity, Grimmett and Ironmonger, Viv dominated Underwood and scored hundreds in India vs the quartet. It is a myth the the W.I and in particular this line up was weak againts spin.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Hadlee
Crowe
Bond
Sutcliffe

NFI which keeper. McCullum would refuse the gloves and ask to be selected in your XI at a batsman. :laugh: