• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Warner's drunken tweeting

burr

State Vice-Captain
Why was Warner even considered captaincy material to begin with? He's nowhere near proven himself in test cricket and may very well not even be in the Australian team 3 matches in to the Ashes series.

Anyway, I wish Warner had a brain and the ability to take Craddock and Conn to task in a way resembling intelligent debate. Those two journos can produce some fairly average copy (although I haven't read the IPL article).

Ugh. These Australian cricketers. Why are they all so unlikeable and dimwitted.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Whatever the punishment, Warner is an idiot, cricket writers are paid to criticize where it's due, so Warner can't really tell them to 'get a life'.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Am I missing something? Why should telling a dickhead journalist that he's a dickhead get Warner into **** with the team management?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A couple of things to come out of this:

1) Apparently even seasoned journalists can't spell (if the quotes were all directly from their accounts); and

2) Is the Uppercut11 that Warner replied to in one of his twits uppercut from CW?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This is what happens when sports stars deviate from standard snoozefest talking points - no one really wants to hear what players think - cause let's face it, it's not exactly going to be high quality stuff most of the time.

The article was stupid, and so was Warner's response.

Midwinter

State Captain
So what's the problem ?

Lets hear what the players think .

Even if it shows they don't think much about anything other than cricket and themselves.

Except Ed Cowan of course.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's hear what the players think? Players don't like journos. Stunning revelation, only the most long-standing professional sports thing ever.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
i'm perfectly open to the opinions of players, just not brain dead ****s like Warner

watson

Banned
I have no problem if any one takes the time to insult newspaper journalists as the vast majority are a pack of blood sucking arse-holes (not sure if an arse-hole can suck blood, but you get my point).

This is because the ONLY REASON that a newspaper journalist exists is to help the newspaper suck money out the corporate sector via advertising revenue.

In other words, newspaper articles only exist so that we the reader can see the adjacent advertisement. The $1 or $2 that the public pays for the newspaper at the stall, and the words that the journalist randomly puts down are both incidental - it's all about corporate donations via advertising.

Indeed, the contemporary newspaper is in such an appalling state that I can't wait for the day when the internet kills it off completely.

Spark

Global Moderator
I have no problem if any one takes the time to insult newspaper journalists as the vast majority are a pack of blood sucking arse-holes (not sure if an arse-hole can suck blood, but you get my point).

This is because the ONLY REASON that a newspaper journalist exists is to help the newspaper suck money out the corporate sector via advertising revenue.

In other words, newspaper articles only exist so that we the reader can see the adjacent advertisement. The $1 or $2 that the public pays for the newspaper at the stall, and the words that the journalist randomly puts down are both incidental - it's all about corporate donations via advertising.

Indeed, the contemporary newspaper is in such an appalling state that I can't wait for the day when the internet kills it off completely.
oh boy

i mean, should i laugh at this or...?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I too prefer to get my news and opinion articles from a medium free of advertising such as the internet.

This post proudly bought to you by Rib Runner

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Warner has previously been in trouble for twitter comments ftr

I think there's a fairly obvious difference between this and homework-gate. A fine should be the punishment. Of course, as Conn points out, the greater punishment will be that it's hard to take the prospect of a leadership role seriously now
Well the most obvious difference is that Homeworkgate could've been handled completely internally without us (Joe Public) ever being aware of it; I mean, who even knew test cricketers were set homework assignments?

Davey's charming little rants were made on the most public medium possible. Whether one's happy this is the case or not is another thread entirely, but the fact is that calling someone a charlie (my paraphrase) on Twatter is the modern enquivalent of turning up to a civic function wankered.

Well, can't comment for Oz, but here in the People's Republic of Blighty most newsprint journos patently care very deeply about the sport and are (in a lot of cases) infinitely better custodians of the spirit of cricket (whatever that is) than the players.

In fact, an awful lot of UK cricket writers are ex pros: Selvey, Marks, James, Atherton & Fraser (list probz not exhaustive) have all played tests.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Weird post. That's sort of like wishing for ice age because you dislike the fact that it's a bit chilly outside.

watson

Banned
In 2011 the 'Leveson Inquiry' began with the main catalyst being the murder of schoolgirl Milly Dowler and the subsequent 'tapping' of her family's phones by News Corp journalists. Thus far more than 140 criminal cases involving the News Corp management and the Metropolitan Police have been investigated with payouts currently exceeding $220 million. At the heart of the scandal are The Sun and The News of the World newspapers.

Crash Craddock and Malcolm Conn are both 'owned' by News Corp. and write for their newspapers. They are therefore fair-game to anyone who feels frustrated because they represent the lowest of the low, and the scummiest of the scum. Warner should not be condemned for more than second because he merely 'had a go' at nothing more than a couple of relative non-entities. GOOD ON HIM!

Last edited:

TNT

Banned
If CA go down the path of trying to punish Warner I hope he tells them to stick it where the sun dont shine.

Who on earth would persue a career in cricket if the govening body is going to micro manage to this level, CA will do far more damage to cricket than any tweet could ever do by getting involved here.