• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Warner's drunken tweeting

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In defence of Warner, Craddock's original article was pretty toilet. Not that one should expect much but, even by his (low) standards, tabloid *****-footing rumour-mongering at best.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not a genius for sure, but Ponting came back from the Bourbon and Beefsteak so I doubt it will mean much in the long term so long as he makes runs.
Obviously shouldn't affect his spot in the team or anything like that, but hopefully it can kill off any of the talk about him being a leader amongst the Australian side, let alone captain.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the upshot of this is that it will make the bans Mickey Mouse handed out for Homeworkgate look even more ridiculous than they did at the time.

Hasn't much wriggle room, has he? If something as trivial (IMHO) as that cost players a spell in purdah, this has to cop something worse, surely?

Only upside is that it'll probably be served during the CT rather than the Ashes.

TNT

Banned
I
Hasn't much wriggle room, has he? If something as trivial (IMHO) as that cost players a spell in purdah, this has to cop something worse, surely?

Telling Conn and Craddock their stories are **** is worse than turning up late for training sessions. Have I missed something here.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Seems we will be getting more and more of these twitteragtes. Internet produces enough crap about cricket without this senseless tirade. Not interested.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think the upshot of this is that it will make the bans Mickey Mouse handed out for Homeworkgate look even more ridiculous than they did at the time.

Only upside is that it'll probably be served during the CT rather than the Ashes.
I dunno, fobbing off the coach seems much worse for the team than giving a journo some flack. I guess KP copping a 1-match ban (iirc?) for having a go at Nick Knight is the precedent here.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I dunno, fobbing off the coach seems much worse for the team than giving a journo some flack. I guess KP copping a 1-match ban (iirc?) for having a go at Nick Knight is the precedent here.
Nah, KP only got finned for his twitter rant at Knight.

flibbertyjibber

I think if you were one of the players banned for homeworkgate then you would be a little pissed off if no action is taken against Warner over this. Be interesting to see if there is any reaction to this from CA.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think if you were one of the players banned for homeworkgate then you would be a little pissed off if no action is taken against Warner over this. Be interesting to see if there is any reaction to this from CA.
Difference being that the homework gate were on a tour representing Australia. Obviously Warner has a CA contract, I'm sure if he said what he said in the middle of a Test match, the consequences would end up being more severe compared to what his punishment will be now.

The journalists response will end up helping Warner too IMO.

flibbertyjibber

Difference being that the homework gate were on a tour representing Australia. Obviously Warner has a CA contract, I'm sure if he said what he said in the middle of a Test match, the consequences would end up being more severe compared to what his punishment will be now.

The journalists response will end up helping Warner too IMO.
I agree, expect it will be a fine and a warning over future conduct. Just depends how the others react to it.

uvelocity

International Coach
reckon warner should hire some trolls to man his twitter account and just lay into journos all the time without saying anything properly offensive

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree, expect it will be a fine and a warning over future conduct. Just depends how the others react to it.
Yep a fine is enough. I will almost always take the side of the player in these sort of situations everyone is entitled to an opinion as we'd all know.

Spikey

Warner has previously been in trouble for twitter comments ftr

I think there's a fairly obvious difference between this and homework-gate. A fine should be the punishment. Of course, as Conn points out, the greater punishment will be that it's hard to take the prospect of a leadership role seriously now