Thread: Listening to TMS at a Cricket Match

Cricket Spectator

Listening to TMS at a Cricket Match

I have a friend of mine who often goes to Test matches, and listens to TMS in one ear!

What do other people do? Is there somewhere I can get a suitable device?

Well you can get iplayer Radio or Tune In Radio apps for your phone which work pretty well. If you don't have a smartphone you can get a personal radio to take with you like these.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    You can usually buy them at the ground as well. I know you definitely can at the Oval, can't remember about Lords.

Not that I've ever done it mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mawallace View Post
    I have a friend of mine who often goes to Test matches, and listens to TMS in one ear!

What do other people do? Is there somewhere I can get a suitable device?
    I assume they do it in the UK but here in HMP Oz at the grounds you can buy an ear piece that connects you to the local live commentary.......never tried them so can't speak for how well they work or not.

Trouble with a radio or apps that are available on your phone is there is a significant delay in the broadcast which makes it hopeless. I love TMS and also the ABC commentators over here........tried before to watch the TV with crap Ch 9 or Sky commentary turned down and the radio on..........just doesn't work.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    I used to do that whilst watching football at home. Would mute the TV and put the radio on. The time delay between the digital and analogue broadcasts was most inexpedient.

School Boy/Girl Captain cricmahanty's Avatar
    Have never tried this out, most ground authorities in India certainly wouldn't allow you in with a radio anyway. And certainly not the Eden Gardens which has had a history of crowd troubles.

The idea sounds very romantic though. One of the many things that reminds me of cricket in the West Indies pre-2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I assume they do it in the UK but here in HMP Oz at the grounds you can buy an ear piece that connects you to the local live commentary.......never tried them so can't speak for how well they work or not.

Trouble with a radio or apps that are available on your phone is there is a significant delay in the broadcast which makes it hopeless. I love TMS and also the ABC commentators over here........tried before to watch the TV with crap Ch 9 or Sky commentary turned down and the radio on..........just doesn't work.
    The earpiece can be a bit finicky but it actually works ok. The sound quality is alright and the volume control works. Main problem is that it's only one ear, which can be discomfiting after a while, needs a headphone jack.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    The earpiece can be a bit finicky but it actually works ok. The sound quality is alright and the volume control works. Main problem is that it's only one ear, which can be discomfiting after a while, needs a headphone jack.
    Is it in sync with the play?? (I assume it is)

I wonder how that works when there is always a delay with either analogue or digital radio?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    The ones in England give you the choice of either sky sports or tms, but both are in real time. Cost a tenner though which is enough for two and a half pints or a large pimm's and a burger so to hell with it

Sometimes you can get them free through one of the various sponsorship tents
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

they change the ****ng things though. last time i went i took ones i bought a couple of years earlier and they didnt work anymore. changed the frequencies or something. 30 buck paperweight
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Old school Sony walkman! I still own one and use it sometime when I go to the cricket. The commentary is particularly welcome when play's a little dull.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Why not just buy a little radio/ Walkman thing with headphones ffs?

Edit: beaten
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International 12th Man
    Good value doing this (at the ground or watching the TV) when Blowers is on. You get two different games for the price of one!

Thread Information