Cricket Player Manager
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Ha ha ha...

I remember not topping my class for the first time in my eighth grade - something I was regularly doing since kindergarten in the only school in our small village.
    Bloody hell - match-fixing in class. What did it take to get you to throw the exam - milk or dinner money?

Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Strong within the usual crook's decision-making process is 'will I get away with it?' too.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    No, it's not an excuse - but you have to remember, until recently (and even now) many non professionals don't make that much money. Risking your career for a $100k when your salary is a Sreesanth level $700k (or something like that) is very different to risking your career for a $100k when your salary is $20k (and many players make less than that - obviously it's different, with the cost of living being lower, but it's not enough to set yourself up after your playing days). If I was making the IPL minimum, and someone offered me 5x my yearly salary for one spot fixing, and doing it for a season or two could set me, and my family, up for the rest of my life - could I say I wouldn't be tempted? No. Would I do it? I would hope that I wouldn't, but the temptation would surely be there. On the other hand, if I had Tendulkar level endorsements, and I was already set up for life, I doubt the money would make a difference - at that point I'd be caring more about my legacy and such.

Obviously Sreesanth is neither living in poverty or is set up like Sachin - who knows what the state of his finances are - but I'm sure they do play a role in that decision...
    nah. there is nothing definitive about these things. it is possible to settle for 2k and be happy with it. and at the same time, it is equally possible to be unhappy with 200 mil also. it is all about what kind of a person one is.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    nah. there is nothing definitive about these things. it is possible to settle for 2k and be happy with it. and at the same time, it is equally possible to be unhappy with 200 mil also. it is all about what kind of a person one is.
    It probably is a factor though. How large a role it plays, like what you say, depends on the kind of person.

Does anyone even know what really happens to an uncapped Indian player in the IPL? They are crumbs in the mix, with no standing whatsoever. They get pushed around and can't raise a point, let alone push for their places in the side. It's like they're paid a king's ransom (for them) and so they should stay quiet. A clear example is that of a Punjab player who was shooed off a bench supposedly for KXIP VIPs, even though he's an experienced Punjab Ranji player. All the overseas players bar a few get all the games they can get, while uncapped Indian players get rotated virtually every match. Mitchell Marsh, not even an Aussie national regular, is a frontline player for one team! IPL teams fight tooth and nail for foreign imports but neglect their domestic Indian players. Not surprisingly, some of them get desperate, like the seven examples (not counting the one who's earning seriously big money), who may have been fed up with the preferential mistreatment.

Billions betrayed for a hundred thousand? The only people betrayed by fixing are the greedy, thoughtless franchise owners, so in a way it's a good thing such an incident happened. Now they're moaning in public about how the public is being cheated. From an Indian supporter's point of view, no IPL franchise has contributed to the Indian cricket scene.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

they should investigate azhar mahmood.. he has to be involved..after all he is Pakistani

but regardless, I never liked sreesanth... I will be happy to see him ban for life..
    SALMAM KHAN The real king and Baadshah of Bollywood!!!!!!!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    they should investigate azhar mahmood.. he has to be involved..after all he is Pakistani
    i feel like i could have got away with posting this as a joke but i don't think you can
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    i feel like i could have got away with posting this as a joke but i don't think you can
    AaronK is Pakistani; if anyone can make that joke then he can.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    AaronK is Pakistani; if anyone can make that joke then he can.
    Really? I always classed him in my head as Indian. are you sure you're not wrong

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Investigate all the Pakistan players!

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Really? I always classed him in my head as Indian. are you sure you're not wrong
    He probably even knows AaronK's postal code, don't test him.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    When did I say anything about being definitive? Very few things about human beings are definitive.

But no, it's not equally likely that someone in poverty with only 2k to be as resistant to a 100k bribe compared to someone with 200 mil. That's not how human nature works.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    When did I say anything about being definitive? Very few things about human beings are definitive.

But no, it's not equally likely that someone in poverty with only 2k to be as resistant to a 100k bribe compared to someone with 200 mil. That's not how human nature works.
    I don't think you or anyone else can say how "human nature works". A multi millionaire taking a ten buck bribe and a pauper rejecting a million dollars are both possible.

People are either corrupt or not. Their breaking points differ from person to person in the corrupt category. Some never break. To say everyone is corruptible is plain cynicism and untrue. There are people who cannot be bought.

I don't think you or anyone else can say how "human nature works". A multi millionaire taking a ten buck bribe and a pauper rejecting a million dollars are both possible.

People are either corrupt or not. Their breaking points differ from person to person in the corrupt category. Some never break. To say everyone is corruptible is plain cynicism and untrue. There are people who cannot be bought.
    Yes, but I don't think Silentstriker is talking about a corrupt person and a non-corrupt person.
    He is talking about 2 corrupt persons out of whom one is rich and the other not so rich.

It is less probable that the richer guy takes an amount which is 5 times less his annual earnings than a poor guy taking an amount which is 5 times his earnings..

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information