• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ha ha ha...

I remember not topping my class for the first time in my eighth grade - something I was regularly doing since kindergarten in the only school in our small village.
Bloody hell - match-fixing in class. What did it take to get you to throw the exam - milk or dinner money?

:detective

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strong within the usual crook's decision-making process is 'will I get away with it?' too.

bagapath

International Captain
No, it's not an excuse - but you have to remember, until recently (and even now) many non professionals don't make that much money. Risking your career for a $100k when your salary is a Sreesanth level $700k (or something like that) is very different to risking your career for a $100k when your salary is $20k (and many players make less than that - obviously it's different, with the cost of living being lower, but it's not enough to set yourself up after your playing days). If I was making the IPL minimum, and someone offered me 5x my yearly salary for one spot fixing, and doing it for a season or two could set me, and my family, up for the rest of my life - could I say I wouldn't be tempted? No. Would I do it? I would hope that I wouldn't, but the temptation would surely be there. On the other hand, if I had Tendulkar level endorsements, and I was already set up for life, I doubt the money would make a difference - at that point I'd be caring more about my legacy and such.

Obviously Sreesanth is neither living in poverty or is set up like Sachin - who knows what the state of his finances are - but I'm sure they do play a role in that decision...
nah. there is nothing definitive about these things. it is possible to settle for 2k and be happy with it. and at the same time, it is equally possible to be unhappy with 200 mil also. it is all about what kind of a person one is.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nah. there is nothing definitive about these things. it is possible to settle for 2k and be happy with it. and at the same time, it is equally possible to be unhappy with 200 mil also. it is all about what kind of a person one is.
It probably is a factor though. How large a role it plays, like what you say, depends on the kind of person.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone even know what really happens to an uncapped Indian player in the IPL? They are crumbs in the mix, with no standing whatsoever. They get pushed around and can't raise a point, let alone push for their places in the side. It's like they're paid a king's ransom (for them) and so they should stay quiet. A clear example is that of a Punjab player who was shooed off a bench supposedly for KXIP VIPs, even though he's an experienced Punjab Ranji player. All the overseas players bar a few get all the games they can get, while uncapped Indian players get rotated virtually every match. Mitchell Marsh, not even an Aussie national regular, is a frontline player for one team! IPL teams fight tooth and nail for foreign imports but neglect their domestic Indian players. Not surprisingly, some of them get desperate, like the seven examples (not counting the one who's earning seriously big money), who may have been fed up with the preferential mistreatment.

Billions betrayed for a hundred thousand? The only people betrayed by fixing are the greedy, thoughtless franchise owners, so in a way it's a good thing such an incident happened. Now they're moaning in public about how the public is being cheated. From an Indian supporter's point of view, no IPL franchise has contributed to the Indian cricket scene.

AaronK

State Regular
they should investigate azhar mahmood.. he has to be involved..after all he is Pakistani

but regardless, I never liked sreesanth... I will be happy to see him ban for life..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When did I say anything about being definitive? Very few things about human beings are definitive.

But no, it's not equally likely that someone in poverty with only 2k to be as resistant to a 100k bribe compared to someone with 200 mil. That's not how human nature works.

bagapath

International Captain
When did I say anything about being definitive? Very few things about human beings are definitive.

But no, it's not equally likely that someone in poverty with only 2k to be as resistant to a 100k bribe compared to someone with 200 mil. That's not how human nature works.
I don't think you or anyone else can say how "human nature works". A multi millionaire taking a ten buck bribe and a pauper rejecting a million dollars are both possible.

People are either corrupt or not. Their breaking points differ from person to person in the corrupt category. Some never break. To say everyone is corruptible is plain cynicism and untrue. There are people who cannot be bought.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think you or anyone else can say how "human nature works". A multi millionaire taking a ten buck bribe and a pauper rejecting a million dollars are both possible.

People are either corrupt or not. Their breaking points differ from person to person in the corrupt category. Some never break. To say everyone is corruptible is plain cynicism and untrue. There are people who cannot be bought.
Yes, but I don't think Silentstriker is talking about a corrupt person and a non-corrupt person.
He is talking about 2 corrupt persons out of whom one is rich and the other not so rich.

It is less probable that the richer guy takes an amount which is 5 times less his annual earnings than a poor guy taking an amount which is 5 times his earnings..

bagapath

International Captain
I think SS is saying everyone is corruptible with the right kind of offer. I disagree with that philosophy.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

There are constant multi-millionaires, who have done some fairly stupid stuff to make more money, which has led to gaol, and worse, one wonders if it's the buzz more than anything else.

Take Sree and Chandila here, Sreesanth doesn't need the money particularly, but is still going to be rich now. Chandila had just arrived on the IPL scene, looked good too, he could have made his fortune with a few good years.

Arguable that it's Chandila that has most to lose here, and he was the one who should of resisted most.

Yet as others have said, people just do these things when they think they can get away with it.

Stapel

International Regular

Though I tend to agree, there is another factor that's quite important: There might be factors, unknown to us, that force a person into doing things he normally would not. I know a first hand story about a guy who had debts with some really nasty criminals. That made him steal 40.000 euros from our club.

Of course one might argue it was his own fault to get in such a position in the first place, but still.... If the situation is bad enough, and some criminals have the right leverage, most would break, I guess.

bagapath

International Captain
well... i am talking only about selling out for financial gains... being forced to do illegal things at gun point is totally different.....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

I think most people know exactly how human nature works.....

Yes, I am sure there are some who can never be bought. Has nothing to do whatsoever with my point.