Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    Can someone explain how this works...apparently before a particular over, one of the guilty bowlers would signal something, like tucking a towel in their trousers, to indicate the desired over was about to begin. Then they would try and concede a particular amount of runs (e.g. 14) off the over. But that's the bit that I don't understand...how do you just concede a specific amount of runs off the over? I'm assuming the batsmen aren't in on it, so how can you rely on them executing the right shots, plus you putting the ball in the right areas to entice those shots without looking overtly suspicious?
    Huge wides on leg-sides ( 5 runs ) can easily help you earn $0.1 million
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
    Hilarious....Few days ago some PakPassion member (who probably learned cricket from youtube) posted a thread saying something like Asif was greater than M Marshall or could have become greater bowler than Marshall and someone commented that a comparison between Asif and Sreesanth is more appropriate than comparison between Asif and Marshall.

This morning when I heard this news, above was the first thing that came to my mind.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

The last time such a thing happened, they banned one player for life, another for five years and three others for one year. Now three more cricketers will be banned. Whatever stereotypes may be passed about the cricketing quality of those banned, there is no point in displaying trophies like these, when the real culprits, organised ring leaders, are still active. The police have caught the mouse but let the snake slither away. Banning players won't help. Wiping out the betting racket is the only solution, and none of the police, the BCCI, the courts and the government have done anything.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    so have we seen the last of Sreesanth? Teja will hope not

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    at least that many deus_ex. so bowl some rank balls its only a few boundaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It will be couched as more than/ less than runs off an over I would think.
    Oh ok, fair enough. The article I read didn't say more than that amount, but another one I just read did, so yeah I guess that's settled. Even still though, it seems a bit of a risky strategy to me...I mean 14 runs or more is a lot off an over and you couldn't ever be that confident the batsmen will place their shots to get enough boundaries, even off the rank deliveries - and it goes to show as well, because apparently Sreesanth only managed to concede 13 off one of his. The guy can't even cheat well.

yeah they also said the bookies had a buffer, so they'd tell him 14 but even 13 off the over was a win
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

hmm apparently was going to get something like $150,000 for it as well. I'd give Tendulkar an atomic wedgie for that frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    Wiping out the betting racket is the only solution.
    Serious organised crime is so far ahead of any national police/security services it's untrue. They'd have a better chance of walking on water than "wiping out" this sort activity.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    so have we seen the last of Sreesanth? Teja will hope not
    I love(d) Sreesanth. I like cricket more.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Simon Champion!
    Unconfirmed reports that Chandila has named 2 more players.Ankeet Chavan has confessed apparently.
    Sreesanth saying he wasn't involved and is being dragged in due to some other bookie.

If they don't have all on tape or have cash trail, will be extremely tough to prove based on circumstantial evidence in court at least. There cricket career will be largely over either way probably.
    Last edited by Cevno; 17-05-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Sreesanth saying he wasn't involved and is being dragged in due to some other bookie.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    For that much money, if you're not near the international XI - why wouldn't you do it? Unless you're in a place like UK and you can actually go to jail for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    Oh ok, fair enough. The article I read didn't say more than that amount, but another one I just read did, so yeah I guess that's settled. Even still though, it seems a bit of a risky strategy to me...I mean 14 runs or more is a lot off an over and you couldn't ever be that confident the batsmen will place their shots to get enough boundaries, even off the rank deliveries - and it goes to show as well, because apparently Sreesanth only managed to concede 13 off one of his. The guy can't even cheat well.
    And I just watched those deliveries and they were all rank but Shaun Marsh couldn't put away the first few, so it is a rather risky thing to ask for from the players.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    For that much money, if you're not near the international XI - why wouldn't you do it? Unless you're in a place like UK and you can actually go to jail for it.
    Ha ha ha...

I remember not topping my class for the first time in my eighth grade - something I was regularly doing since kindergarten in the only school in our small village. I was supposed to be a bright kid in everyone's eyes. So I was terribly upset about someone else beating me to the first rank for the first time and I was sobbing my heart out; until my granny caught me and asked me how many kids were in my class. I said 50. She got really angry that I was so selfish that I wanted to come first every time. She asked me to think of the other 49 kids and imagine how badly they all would want to come first too. She told me the world is not made specially for me or any other individual. Then she lectured me about not being greedy, self-obsessed and materialistic.

It was sound advice because I didn't come first in many things I tried later in my life (and I expect to face failures in future also) - but I have never had self-pity for not realizing my goals or cheated in desperation or faced peer pressure resulting in jealousy or compromised on core values for materialistic things. I assume that it is what many parents teach their kids - except those idiots who scream at their children for coming last in the running race.

It is possible that all these guys who are caught today were also brought up on correct and simple foundations. But greed does take over some people at times. And assholes like Sreesanth reek of self-obsession and cheap materialism so obviously that they are X marked targets for anyone from the crime world wanting to exploit them.

Here is a question: If one gets cynical and says everyone has a price, do you think it is possible to buy and fix matches through bradman, holding and dravid too?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information