• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I haven't watched a game of the last 2 IPL seasons. The competitions a joke and it's always been clear it's corrupt.

Until the ICC can stop relying so heavily on the sub continent money then these things will keep happening and the majority of the time they will be swept under the rug and ignored. It's good business to not have your players banned. I'm sure if a better indian player was involved the would have covered it up. The IPL is a joke.

All I've read about Tait now is that officials have confirmed he isn't involved and they have no evidence, apparently started with a twitter rumour?

Ruckus

International Captain
Can someone explain how this works...apparently before a particular over, one of the guilty bowlers would signal something, like tucking a towel in their trousers, to indicate the desired over was about to begin. Then they would try and concede a particular amount of runs (e.g. 14) off the over. But that's the bit that I don't understand...how do you just concede a specific amount of runs off the over? I'm assuming the batsmen aren't in on it, so how can you rely on them executing the right shots, plus you putting the ball in the right areas to entice those shots without looking overtly suspicious?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like some really slick work from the police.

This is much more difficult to prove in court than the no ball spot-fixing case, but hopefully the recorded conversations and other evidence they have is enough.

it's so good that maxwell's first good moments in the IPL are because they were fixed
Luckiest player ever theory gaining weight.
:laugh:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can someone explain how this works...apparently before a particular over, one of the guilty bowlers would signal something, like tucking a towel in their trousers, to indicate the desired over was about to begin. Then they would try and concede a particular amount of runs (e.g. 14) off the over. But that's the bit that I don't understand...how do you just concede a specific amount of runs off the over? I'm assuming the batsmen aren't in on it, so how can you rely on them executing the right shots, plus you putting the ball in the right areas to entice those shots without looking overtly suspicious?
It will be couched as more than/ less than runs off an over I would think.

Bouncer

State Regular
Hilarious....Few days ago some PakPassion member (who probably learned cricket from youtube) posted a thread saying something like Asif was greater than M Marshall or could have become greater bowler than Marshall :-O and someone commented that a comparison between Asif and Sreesanth is more appropriate than comparison between Asif and Marshall.

This morning when I heard this news, above was the first thing that came to my mind. :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hilarious....Few days ago some PakPassion member (who probably learned cricket from youtube) posted a thread saying something like Asif was greater than M Marshall or could have become greater bowler than Marshall :-O and someone commented that a comparison between Asif and Sreesanth is more appropriate than comparison between Asif and Marshall.

This morning when I heard this news, above was the first thing that came to my mind. :laugh: :laugh:
Haha that's great. Go dig it up.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This guy.

uvelocity

International Coach
No, because my explanation had an economy of language and a nuance which yours didn't.
your licence to talk about economy was revoked with the current deficit announcement.

almost went with lol at a lawyer talking about economy - would have been $50 + gst if that was a billable post

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
your licence to talk about economy was revoked with the current deficit announcement.

almost went with lol at a lawyer talking about economy - would have been $50 + gst if that was a billable post
The only people to still have a licence to talk about the economy are those two bearded MIT peers, one bald and one bold.

kingkallis

International Coach
Who remembers the RR medium pace bowler Amit Singh? He was arrested as one of the bookies under the name of Amit Kumar. Later the police found out his real name which is Amit Singh.

I dont know if it makes any sense but I am damn sure the RR Management knew about this. He did play 23 games for them as well.

kingkallis

International Coach
Huge wides on leg-sides ( 5 runs ) can easily help you earn $0.1 million ;)

smash84

The Tiger King

:laugh::laugh:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The last time such a thing happened, they banned one player for life, another for five years and three others for one year. Now three more cricketers will be banned. Whatever stereotypes may be passed about the cricketing quality of those banned, there is no point in displaying trophies like these, when the real culprits, organised ring leaders, are still active. The police have caught the mouse but let the snake slither away. Banning players won't help. Wiping out the betting racket is the only solution, and none of the police, the BCCI, the courts and the government have done anything.

Ruckus

International Captain
at least that many deus_ex. so bowl some rank balls its only a few boundaries.
It will be couched as more than/ less than runs off an over I would think.
Oh ok, fair enough. The article I read didn't say more than that amount, but another one I just read did, so yeah I guess that's settled. Even still though, it seems a bit of a risky strategy to me...I mean 14 runs or more is a lot off an over and you couldn't ever be that confident the batsmen will place their shots to get enough boundaries, even off the rank deliveries - and it goes to show as well, because apparently Sreesanth only managed to concede 13 off one of his. The guy can't even cheat well.