Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    All I want to know is after all this will srinivasan's daughter divorce meiyappan? #hindiserials

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Need to pop outside and run some errands. Just logged in to say that I was wrong about the IPL rule about termination in case an owner engages in betting etc. There apparently is no such rule.
    There is a rule which is not specifically worded and says that has a material adverse effect upon the reputation or standing of the League, BCCI-IPL, BCCI, the Franchisee, the Team (or any other team in the League) and / or the game of cricket can be source for termintation from what i've read.

And then there's other ICC and IPL rules about barring teams/certain people, if they are found to be involved in betting while having access and match fixing. Not sure how these are worded exactly though but finding a rule shouldn't be a problem, imo if the will is there in the board. Either both stay or both should go.
    Last edited by Cevno; 06-06-2013 at 11:44 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    I think most in the West don't appreciate just how deeply ingrained corruption is in Indian culture. It's not just the bigwigs that indulge in it, it permeates every strata of Indian social life. Good luck cleaning a system like cricket where there's so much wealth and power involved.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Need to pop outside and run some errands. Just logged in to say that I was wrong about the IPL rule about termination in case an owner engages in betting etc. There apparently is no such rule.
    now we know why benchmark00 hasn't been posting - out of money due to gijoe stealing his job
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    It is not a rule of the IPL or its constitution. It is a part of the agreement/contract signed between BCCI and every Franchisee. It is the termination clause. The conditions under which BCCI could terminate the agreement and the Franchise are spelt out. One of them, under clause 11.3 (c) reads spelling out one of the conditions that allows BCCI/IPL to terminate the agreement(and this is a verbatim quote)

"(c) The Franchisee, any Franchisee Group Company and / or any Owner acts in any way which has a material adverse effect upon the reputation or standing of the League, BCCI-IPL, BCCI, the Franchisee, the Team (or any other team in the League) and / or the game of cricket."

So the interpretation is not as difficult as some make it out to be. Of course you can expect someone to stand up and say that betting by owners does not bring the game or the team etc into disrepute . Of course we can also argue that ministers of the ruling party in India being jailed for massive corruption do not bring the country or even the party into disrepute. It is like saying, "okay he has confessed before the cops but where is the proof." For those who want the guilty punished, no more proof is required and for those who are in a perpetual state of denial, no proof will ever be enough. After all even OJ got away with "murder"

The other thing is that the contract does not automatically gets terminated, BCCI/IPL "can" terminate it. Whether they exercise that right or not is quite another matter.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    I will be surprised if Sid Mallya is not involved in this as well..
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    His involvement in what ? And probed by whom ?

You're just clutching at straws now.

You have good experience at that.. but actually no.. I am just saying if all this betting and spot fixing is rampant in the IPL, why is the guy who is the head of the said league not being asked anything? Shouldn't he have taken better measures to get the ACU more involved etc?

And if NS should resign because of the conflict of interest, why is no one taking the time to discuss about Pawar who actually changed the legislation to allow this to happen?

Way to keep missing the point and keep bringing in irrelevant tangents. Not sure what you're over the top love for Lara and hate for Sachin has to do with anything here and re the last point i already said that who is cleaner than the other is debateable and gave reasons for Modi's efficiency earlier. Also, in detail explained 3 and 4. But keep ignoring facts and logic to carry on you're agenda..p\

Anyways, Done with this debate with you now as it's frankly getting irritating. I am not sure what exactly you are trying to argue anyway and the way you are doing it is all over the place.

Basically asking me to do a Cevno?

Modi is not more efficient. He was the owner of the league and allowed the conflict of interest to happen. He held stakes in the consortium that owned RR. He put in the stupid auction rules and kept changing the rules for his and his friend's' benefits. He just was the same as NS but you of course don't want to see any of that because, well, you like to pull a Cevno..

Besides, BCCI President is a honorary post. It's not like anyone's life should be defending on it.

Resignation is not the be all and end all either, but it's the logical first step to ensure the following actions happen without someone directly involved and liable to lose something (CSK and his SIL) at the helm. And to ensure they happen freely, without the fear of BCCI president.

Why the reluctance to step down, from a honorary post if you have nothing to gain, lose or hide from that ? Let the logical sequence of events follow.

Let the Mumbai police first fabricate a case strong enough to hold them in jail.. A magistrate has just torn apart their argumens

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Basically asking me to do a Cevno?

Modi is not more efficient. He was the owner of the league and allowed the conflict of interest to happen. He held stakes in the consortium that owned RR. He put in the stupid auction rules and kept changing the rules for his and his friend's' benefits. He just was the same as NS but you of course don't want to see any of that because, well, you like to pull a Cevno..
    Nobody can dispute that Modi constructed a academy + stadium quickly while president of RCA, got their team from the 2nd division to Ranji Champions and then set up a global and big sporting franchise largely on his own. Also he headed the marketing committee when the revenues of the board started soaring exponentially.

Also, I never said he was a saint or cleaner than Srinivasan, so not sure why you keep repeating the same thing like a broken record. But as a administrator and creating value he was much better.

It's like Lalu prasad Yadav vs Chidambaram as i said before. Chidambaram is a much better adminstrator than Lalu and pushes the envelope constantly with relatively more different ideas and also pays attention to detail, but it is open for debate who is cleaner than who.
    Last edited by Cevno; 07-06-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Let the Mumbai police first fabricate a case strong enough to hold them in jail.. A magistrate has just torn apart their argumens
    Gosh, you have no idea what getting a bail means do you ? Or what the charges criminally are and what sporting charges are ? Criminal charge except for Gambling which they have seemingly even admitted too, i.e of cheating will be incredibly difficult to prove without a full insider betting law in India or a affected party (CSK/BCCI) registering a case of fraud/cheating. (Even if they do, they have to show proof of match fixing which is very different to insider betting.)

But as soon as he has admitted to betting on his own team or even the league matches, that should entail disciplinary banning from BCCI and even ICC under their rulebook. And also means, that the franchisee agreement is violated. It might be a bailable offence criminally with punishment being a fine, but it in the sporting arena it is severe misconduct.

Don't think what you said was relevant at all in response to the post you quoted, but yeah hope that clears it up for you, and you stop going on about like a broken record.
    Last edited by Cevno; 07-06-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Simon Champion!
    India Cricket News: Charges against Gurunath proved - IPL probe report | ESPN Cricinfo

Calls for srivasan's head growing and he is set to be icc head.

Interesting that Dhoni defended meiyappan.

Dhoni got some 'splainin to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information