• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

scorpio1990

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The Supreme Court of India has asked BCCI president N Srinivasan to step down as the first step towards a fair investigation into the IPL corruption saga. A two-man bench of the apex court has made the observation and given Srinivasan two days to take a decision, before issuing its verdict on Thursday.

While the recommendation is not a direct order, Justice AK Patnaik said that failure to act upon the court's observation would mean that on Thursday it would have to pass an order and make it "mandatory" for Srinivasan to step down. The situation with regard to corruption in the IPL and the BCCI's response to it was described as "nauseating." PTI reports that the court stated that while it could not divulge details of the sealed envelope given to them by the Mudgal panel, the BCCI's lawyers were shown certain portion of the report. Justice Patnaik is reported to have said that there were "very, very serious allegations" in the sealed envelope and "unless the BCCI president steps down" no fair probe can be conducted.

The hearing began with the BCCI lawyers making their statements stating that the BCCI agreed with the findings of the Mudgal panel report and asked the court to allow the BCCI to take its own actions in the light of panel recommendations. That was turned down by the court.

Srinivasan would not comment on the issue saying he had not "read" the court's recommendations. It is understood that most senior BCCI officials are in Dubai for a meeting of the Asian Cricket Council. Srinivasan is in Chennai and it is possible that other officials may be summoned there for an emergency meeting on Wednesday morning. "It is too early to say how exactly this will affect the BCCI. For the moment the court ruling will not have any impact on the IPL," a senior BCCI official said. According to him the BCCI has planned called for no emergent meeting as of now. "The BCCI cannot ask Srinivasan to resign. It is his individual decision," the official said.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He will step down as BCCI chief and still be set to become the next ICCI Chief /?

Doubt Indian SC would have jurisdiction there.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the latest with the Chris Carins thing? Heard his lawyer had been arrested for attempting to pervert the course of justice, and that the Met were out in NZ looking into things, but haven't heard anything else the past few days. Any Kiwis got any news?

brockley

International Captain
Court suggesting Chennai and Rajistan not play in the IPL due to match fixing inquiry.Court also panned Dhoni's court submission.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Gavaskar to become interim head of bcci apparently...excellent as then i dont have to listen to his constant i :wub: Kohli commentary when watching a match...

Daemon

Gavaskar to become interim head of bcci apparently...excellent as then i dont have to listen to his constant i :wub: Kohli commentary when watching a match...
He'll make it compulsory for all broadcasters to have an I :wub: Kohli watermark on every game.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Court keeps Srinivasan out of BCCI | Cricket News | India | ESPN Cricinfo

Some really weird quotes from the people representing the supreme court there:

The court, though, did not impose an independent probe. "We are not considering the SIT because we don't want the CBI or the police or the media to throw mud on cricketers," Patnaik said. "Reputations of cricketers and great names are at stake. What happens to the reputation of the players who are representing the country and Indian cricketers of the future. Cricket has to be clean but institutional autonomy has to be maintained."

Daemon

According to Sanjay Patel, Shastri has been associated with the IPL right from its inception and that was one consideration. "The two good reasons were, Shastri has been around for a long time as a cricketer and he is also part of the various IPL committees including the governing council," Patel told ESPNcricinfo.

Patel also explained at the meeting that the Bombay High Court, in an order in 2013, had said the probe committee needed to include one member from the Code of Behaviour committee under the IPL Operational Rules. According to the IPL website, the Code of Behaviour Committee comprises Sanjay Patel, Ranjib Biswal, Amitabh Chaudhary, Ravi Shastri and Arindam Ganguly. While Shastri is not an office bearer of the BCCI, he is on its payroll as a commentator and is a member of the governing council. His name is on two of four other IPL committees on the tournament website
I don't think it's outrageous to suggest that someone who knows his cricket and how the IPL is run be part of the committee, but I do think it shouldn't be this ****.