View Poll Results: Who was better Dravid or Ponting

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dravid

    17 26.15%
  • Ponting

    48 73.85%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 118 of 118

Thread: Who's better Dravid or Ponting

  1. #106
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Always felt Dravid never got credit whenever he batted well in a situation where the team batted well as a whole. He's always remembered for innings in which the majority around him failed.

    But then again I did miss over half of his career..
    Dravid also didn't have the luxury of Hayden-Langer before him. It's not an appropriate comparison really because Dravid had to drop sheet anchor half the time, at least when Sehwag wasn't giving them flying starts (and that's only since what..04?). Not saying he was capable of dominating attacks like Ponting anyway but the dynamics of the Indian team of the era demanded a different sort of player and he fit the bill to perfection.

  2. #107
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    Not if the source of the other option is Virat Kohli, surely?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (22.2 KB, 0 views)

  3. #108
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    Dravid also didn't have the luxury of Hayden-Langer before him. It's not an appropriate comparison really because Dravid had to drop sheet anchor half the time, at least when Sehwag wasn't giving them flying starts (and that's only since what..04?). Not saying he was capable of dominating attacks like Ponting anyway but the dynamics of the Indian team of the era demanded a different sort of player and he fit the bill to perfection.
    To be fair, Sehwag averaged close to 52 with a 80+ SR during Dravid's career, so that wasn't very often. Gambhir played 50 odd tests and had a record similar to Langer's as well. If you're going to play the better openers/worse openers card you could argue that the drop in quality when (Sehwag/Gambhir) weren't there was a lot bigger than (Hayden/Langer) considering they had guys like Katich, Slater, Taylor etc for periods.

  4. #109
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    To be fair, Sehwag averaged close to 52 with a 80+ SR during Dravid's career, so that wasn't very often. Gambhir played 50 odd tests and had a record similar to Langer's as well. If you're going to play the better openers/worse openers card you could argue that the drop in quality when (Sehwag/Gambhir) weren't there was a lot bigger than (Hayden/Langer) considering they had guys like Katich, Slater, Taylor etc for periods.
    But you're ignoring the first 7-8 years of his career which is when he really made his mark abroad with those knocks in England and New Zealand. We didn't have decent openers then..that's almost half his career. I'm not comparing pedigrees here, but Dravid just didn't have the bedding in period that Ponting enjoyed. He was on the frontlines from the very beginning and he did a great job of it.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 07-06-2013 at 12:49 AM.


  5. #110
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    303
    50/50 call depending on personal opinion. Both were amazing in their respective primes and suffered from end of career decline in form and finished with similar averages/aggregate. if you had to decide on a better player out of these two it would depend on the bowling attack, conditions and situation- overall though, no obvious answer.

    But to equate Dravid's ability to play spin to Ponting's as some ppl have here is incorrect . Against spin Dravid is far superior and at times murderous (see his treatment of Grame Swann during last series in England). Dravid had no obvious technical flaws in the way he played spin whereas ponting even in his peak had clear technical issues. I would rate Dravid's ability against spin only just below SRT/Lara. I would not be able to say the same for ponting who was not even the best player of spin in his own team (Hayden, Lehmann).

    And to say that because Ponting did well against McGrath and warne in shield cricket automatically means that he would have played them well in international cricket is also incorrect. Graeme Hick took Shane Warne to the cleaners in a warm up game prior to the start of the 93 Ashes tour. Enough said.
    All Time Test XI:

    Openers: S.Gavaskar V.Sehwag Middle Order: V.Richards S.Tendulkar B.Lara All Rounders: G.Sobers I Khan (C) WK: A.Gilchrist Bowlers: W.Akram M.Marshall M.Muralitharan

    All Time ODI XI:

    WK: A.Gilchrist S.Tendulkar V.Richards R. Ponting M. Dhoni M. Bevan Allrounder: K.Dev Bowlers: W.Akram J. Garner M.Muralitharan G. McGrath

  6. #111
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,053
    Quote Originally Posted by dhillon28 View Post
    And to say that because Ponting did well against McGrath and warne in shield cricket automatically means that he would have played them well in international cricket is also incorrect. Graeme Hick took Shane Warne to the cleaners in a warm up game prior to the start of the 93 Ashes tour. Enough said.
    Not that I believe Ponting would automatically dominate against McG either (one was McG's FC debut and the other was when he wasn't the finished article as a Test bowler) but, **** me, the Hick game was a warm-up where Warne was specifically told not to bowl his best stuff vs live FC matches between strong teams going balls out to win. Not even remotely the same thing.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  7. #112
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    He was told to bowl crap? Right ok.
    Not deliberate crap, but it's pretty common knowledge that Warne was told not to show much beyond basic leg breaks in the tour matches before the first Test.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  8. #113
    State Vice-Captain akilana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Moon
    Posts
    1,033
    Sorry I deleted that comment before you replied as I could almost predict what would be the responses..

    But why would he even play tour matches if he wasn't going to use the tour matches to fine tune himself ahead of the ashes.

  9. #114
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,053
    You don't see the value in just having a roll against good opposition, lulling softies like Hick into a false sense of security? Seriously, both AB and Warne have come out and said exactly they did that, it's fact, not bias. Without checking, I believe Hick has said Warne's bowling was totally different in the Tests too.

  10. #115
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by dhillon28 View Post

    And to say that because Ponting did well against McGrath and warne in shield cricket automatically means that he would have played them well in international cricket is also incorrect. Graeme Hick took Shane Warne to the cleaners in a warm up game prior to the start of the 93 Ashes tour. Enough said.
    I just find it funny that people try to use a silly argument that Ponting didn't face Warne and McGrath so that goes against him. Its just a stupid strawman argument that holds no credibility at all. Something that a 14 year old kid would say.
    If you nick it walk

  11. #116
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,572
    Its a bad argument, but its not a straw man argument. Think you are misunderstanding what a straw man argument is.

  12. #117
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I just find it funny that people try to use a silly argument that Ponting didn't face Warne and McGrath so that goes against him. Its just a stupid strawman argument that holds no credibility at all. Something that a 14 year old kid would say.
    No they wouldn't. Most 14 year olds are too young to remember Warne and McGrath.

    But seriously, do you not think that quality of opposition deserves to be considered when assessing an individual's performance? Can a century in Chittagong vs Bangladesh be equated to a century in Perth vs Australia? Why does cricinfo bother performing sub group analyses against bowling Attacks that are universally recognised as great when assessing a players career batting performance?

  13. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    28
    Punter by miles as the poll suggests.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The better batsman the bettter #3 Ponting vs Dravid
    By aussie in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 452
    Last Post: 18-11-2011, 10:59 AM
  2. Ponting, Kallis & Dravid .....The show must go on !!!
    By ManWatKen in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 18-03-2008, 05:52 AM
  3. Ponting is better than Lara
    By sideshowtim in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 27-12-2007, 04:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •