• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's better Dravid or Ponting

Who was better Dravid or Ponting

• Total voters

Geoffboycott

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dravid or Ponting both number 3s and are the 2nd and 3rd highest test run scorers ever. also both played in the same era so i thought it would be a close one.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
There is very little between Dravid and Ponting in terms of batting talent and skill.

However, Ponting wins easily if the context is the No.3 batting position. This is because the ideal No.3 batsman should be aggressive, and like to counter-attack. That is, if one of the openers is dismissed early then they need to be able to re-claim the initiative from the bowlers. And if the openers make runs then they need to be able capitalise on the openers success by maintaining momentum and scoring quickly.

Ponting more readily falls into this description of the ideal No.3 batsman, Dravid doesn't - IMO.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Watson said it perfectly as usual. Easily Ponting for me. Much more adaptable and destructive.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmmmm, this is a lot closer than that IMO.

When Ponting was at the peak of his powers this would be a non discussion, I just wonder how much his career record has been tarnished by being so poor for so long at the end?

Apart from his last crap series in Oz, Dravid was a formidable batsmen pretty much his whole career.

I'll give Ponting the nod but only just, and that is based on his career up to around 2006 and ignoring the last 6 years (which in itself does Dravid a massive injustice) As the others have said Ponting could play to any match situation and was certainly a lot more enjoyable to watch. Dravid still an absolute gun though.

Geoffboycott

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think if the wicket is doing a bit and your against a top quality attack of pace and spin and you lose an early wicket you want dravid coming in all day long. I have massive respect for ponting and his game but the only way I see he has the edge over dravid is he gets his runs a lot quicker. Dravid was a better slipper aswell but not as good else where in the field. Pontings the best fielder I've ever seen and in the top 10 batsman in the last 40 odd years. But I rate Rahul higher

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I would have Dravid's babies, but Ponting was better. Both all-time greats though.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm such a massive fan of both players.

Dravid was a magnificent batsman. One of my favourites. I find it staggering that Tendulkar gets so much attention from everyone while Dravid (who batted in a tougher position) gets much less.

Ponting, in his pomp and prime, was unbelieveable.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think if the wicket is doing a bit and your against a top quality attack of pace and spin and you lose an early wicket you want dravid coming in all day long. I have massive respect for ponting and his game but the only way I see he has the edge over dravid is he gets his runs a lot quicker. Dravid was a better slipper aswell but not as good else where in the field. Pontings the best fielder I've ever seen and in the top 10 batsman in the last 40 odd years. But I rate Rahul higher
Ponting to me was also the better slipper in particular to pace. Dravid had the edge vs spin as Ponting rarely fielded the the slips to Warne. Overall fielder, Ponting hands down.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Apart from his last crap series in Oz, Dravid was a formidable batsmen pretty much his whole career.
Nah there was a period from 2008-2010 where Dravid was seriously below par. I reckon there were people who thought Dravid was shot at the end of the Australian tour to India in 2008 actually.

I distinctly remember, after Dravid had a poor series, SirBloodyIdiot declared that he's not an all-time great anymore :ph34r:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Dravid in '08 was seriously found out by guys like Johnson. Remember him having so little idea the whereabouts of his off-stump, was wondering whether his eyes had gone.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Similar to how you thought Kallis' eyes were gone in 2007.

#willneverletyoulivethatdown :cool:

watson

Banned
I'm such a massive fan of both players.

Dravid was a magnificent batsman. One of my favourites. I find it staggering that Tendulkar gets so much attention from everyone while Dravid (who batted in a tougher position) gets much less.

Ponting, in his pomp and prime, was unbelieveable.
The following stats come courtesy of 'Days of Grace' from the 'Best After The Don' thread: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/59341-best-after-don-12.html

Here are the top 12 batting peaks over 50 matches, along with the time periods (I have adjusted their averages based on strength of opposition and pitch conditions)

1. Bradman 104.13 (97.56) (1928-1948)
2. Sobers 72.57 (69.67) (1958-1968)
3. Ponting 73.91 (65.34) (2002-2006)
4. Waugh 63.13 (64.15) (1993-1998)
5. Kallis 69.61 (62.65) (2002-2007)
6. Dravid 68.11 (62.24) (2000-2005)
7. Hobbs 61.28 (62.22) (1908-1928)
8. Tendulkar 66.16 (62.22) (1997-2002)
9. Chanderpaul 67.13 (62.18) (2006-2012)
10. Hammond 65.80 (61.45) (1928-1936)
11. Sangakkara 68.49 (61.39) (2006-2012)
12. Richards 61.96 (60.94) (1976-1984)
So you are right Monk in saying that in his prime Ponting was 'unbelievable' - 'unbelievable' meaning an average of 73.91 sustained over 50 Test matches. The second best of all time if we discount the adjustment made by 'Days of Grace'.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I remember reading an article that examined every batsman's peak consecutive 52 tests. 52 was used because that's what Bradman played.

From memory Ponting was clearly second best under those criteria. But I can't find the article. I think it was a cricinfo article.

Burgey

Last edited:

Burgey

I remember reading an article that examined every batsman's peak consecutive 52 tests. 52 was used because that's what Bradman played.

From memory Ponting was clearly second best under those criteria. But I can't find the article. I think it was a cricinfo article.
I think I may have included it in my magnificent piece on Ponting's retirement actually.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
When the ball is swinging i will pick Dravid. He was a master in such conditions. Bouncy pitch i will pick Ponting. For all his greatness Dravid was poor in bouncy conditons. Never looked comfortable IMO. Spin, both are equal. With Ponting being more attacking in nature and putting bum on the seats my pick is Ricky.