• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's better Dravid or Ponting

Who was better Dravid or Ponting

• Total voters

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For all the times I took the Mickey mercilessly out of Ricky Ponting, to me he was an absolutely world class player. As was McDravid, of course, but if I had to choose between them (and most of their stats are spookily similar, possums), Ponting's strike rate swings it.

He could take the game away from you (although nowhere near as quick as some of the other Aussies in that team, his strike rate was more than decent), whereas Dravid would frustrate you and drive you to distraction.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
I'd call this one 50-50.

Think Ponting was clearly a better player of pace and bounce than Dravid, who never looked too comfortable against the bounce for such a world class player. Dravid definitely plays the moving ball better than Ponting though and has more of an ability to play the ball with soft hands. In terms of playing spin it's pretty much even.

Ponting's record is a bit more complete, but then he never had to face his own attack in Australia like Dravid did.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd call this one 50-50.

Think Ponting was clearly a better player of pace and bounce than Dravid, who never looked too comfortable against the bounce for such a world class player. Dravid definitely plays the moving ball better than Ponting though and has more of an ability to play the ball with soft hands. In terms of playing spin it's pretty much even.

Ponting's record is a bit more complete, but then he never had to face his own attack in Australia like Dravid did.
Yeah good post.

Your last line is correct in that Ponting never faced Warne or McGrath (and even Gillespie). But I have always thought that Harbhajan and Kumble would have done quite well vs. Dravid.

They were both such awesome batsmen. Cricket really is going to miss them.

TNT

Banned
Typical rookie mistake, it was Pontings batting against these bowlers in Australian domestic cricket that got him selected in the Australian team.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Yeah good post.

Your last line is correct in that Ponting never faced Warne or McGrath (and even Gillespie). But I have always thought that Harbhajan and Kumble would have done quite well vs. Dravid.

They were both such awesome batsmen. Cricket really is going to miss them.
True. But if you look at the way Ponting used to take to McGrath in the Shield, I doubt he would have troubled him too much in test cricket. I loved the days when all the very best were facing off against each other before the season proper started (I'm seriously going to turn into one of those "it was better in my day" harpies).

Anyway, would be interesting to take a poll of around 100 test cricketers with this question. I reckon 80'd choose Ponting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
True. But if you look at the way Ponting used to take to McGrath in the Shield, I doubt he would have troubled him too much in test cricket. I loved the days when all the very best were facing off against each other before the season proper started (I'm seriously going to turn into one of those "it was better in my day" harpies).

Anyway, would be interesting to take a poll of around 100 test cricketers with this question. I reckon 80'd choose Ponting.
To be fair we're getting pretty similar results to that on the poll here anyway.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Typical rookie mistake, it was Pontings batting against these bowlers in Australian domestic cricket that got him selected in the Australian team.
No rookie mistake I'm not talking about first class cricket, I'm comparing Dravid and Ponting's test records and saying that Ponting had the slight advantage in not having to face his own attack. When India played Australia in Australia, Dravid faced up to a far better bowling attack than Ponting did. Dravid was found out time and time again by these bowlers, but when they were injured and Australia played a second string attack Dravid completely cashed in. Ponting may have been able to play his own attack but it would have been more difficult than the Indian one.

As I said I have Dravid and Ponting as pretty much 50 50, I think Ponting has the slightly better overall record but not having to face his own bowlers probably makes them equal.
Also agree that Dravid might have struggled if he had to face Kumble in Indian conditions.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Brutal poll.

It's one of those "masturbation or beer?" dilemmas to which there's just no wrong answer.

Kirkut

International Regular
Overall Ponting beats Dravid. In English conditions, Dravid wins easily.

Ponting has had problems against inswing, this has been exploited to some extent by James Anderson(2009 Ashes) and Ishant Sharma(Perth spell). Dravid is a master against swing.

Still though, Ponting will easily make it into top 10 greatest batsmen of all time IMHO. Dravid.....maybe not.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Dravid is a champion, but Ponting was clearly better. The margin would vary depending on my mood on any given day, but I don't think it would ever swing the other way.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Brutal poll.

It's one of those "masturbation or beer?" dilemmas to which there's just no wrong answer.
Well if you're thirsty, I'd like to think most would go for the beer rather than drinking the other option.