17 26.15%
  • Ponting

48 73.85%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's better Dravid or Ponting

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Ponting>Ishant.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

State Vice-Captain
    Just so you know, harsh and watson, that wasn't a serious post.

Had to go with Ponting here, just though. Close competition, Dravid is always underrated! Is it just me or did Ponting fade a lot earlier than other ATG's?
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    02-07 Ponting was just unreal. Averaged 70+ as whole, and averaged at least 60 against everyone besides England (56) and Sri Lanka (40). I would think that very few batsmen have been quite so good for such an extended period (more than 60 tests).

Dravid was probably more consistent over a longer period of time, but if you're talking purely about the two players in their prime, then Ponting comfortably for me.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 15-05-2013 at 03:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricket Spectator
    Dravid for me, classical test batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    The bowling category is mega redundant Coronis because in a self respecting team neither of them are likely to get a bowl unless it's for light comic relief.
    Can't believe you took that post seriously, especially given Ponting was actually a much, much better bowler than Dravid.

Dravid the better wicker keeper though; gives him the edge.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Can't believe you took that post seriously, especially given Ponting was actually a much, much better bowler than Dravid.

Dravid the better wicker keeper though; gives him the edge.
    Wasn't aware that Coronis is a whimsical elf, but now duly noted.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

lol on the slips comment. you could argue dravid was a better batsman before you could argue he's a better slipper. which he isn't. better. at batting or fielding.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Agree, Ponting, especially to pace was one of the very best slip fielders and for me clearly ahead of Dravid who was prone to some lapses. Ponting was truely special in the slips.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Ultimate respect for Dravid who I loved as a player but it has to be ponting. Dravid never had that fear factor as an opposition fan like Ponting did. Not many players do, only Lara, Ponting and Tendulkar have had it at the level of say a Richards previously so Ponting has to be given the nod over Dravid on that basis alone.
    To be honest, I think this point gets overplayed. I don't think I've heard any bowler come out and mention that they were genuinely afraid to bowl to Ponting or that they were intimidated by his awe inspiring test SR of 58 (which was not even close to the best SR in his own team btw). Ponting scored faster than Dravid no doubt, and I'm sure there is a point to be made there, but neither him nor for that matter even Tendulkar and to a lesser extent Lara were really finishing bowling careers, injuring reputations or annihilating bowlers in the manner that Richards did on many occasions. Lara, of course, caused very different problems - he was an absolute nightmare as a captain when it came to setting fields because when he got going he would toy with field settings and be able to pierce even the tiniest gap in the field.

Tendulkar and Lara did get talked about a lot, especially in pre-match situations, though of course a lot of that was because of the fact that both of them were for the majority of their careers the heart and spine of their team's batting. Maybe if they played for a team like Australia they may not have been but then again maybe if Ponting played for an average team he would be hyped up even more. However, if you want players that actually did turn games on their head within a session or two then I would look at Gilchrist or Sehwag and not the above 3.
    Last edited by tooextracool; 15-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    I think with players like Ponting (or Viv or whoever), it's not their career SR of 50something that "scares" other teams, it's the extra gear they can go in to at times.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Australia - Ponting
    England - Dravid
    India - Dravid
    SL - Ponting
    SA - Ponting
    NZ, WI, Pak - Both pretty much equal

Ponting by a nose, mainly because he was more atttacking.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Australia - Ponting
    England - Dravid
    India - Dravid
    SL - Ponting
    SA - Ponting
    NZ, WI, Pak - Both pretty much equal

Ponting by a nose, mainly because he was more atttacking.
    And his pull? I would give a lot of money to see him play it like he did in his prime. Now he just can't seem to time it as well.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    For the record;

Ponting: 59 runs per 100 balls

Dravid: 43 runs per 100 balls

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Not a huge believer in SR mattering a great deal in tests, but I can understand why people do factor it in.

They were very different players really. Ponting's first instinct was most always to attack. Dravid less so. Dravid was almost a player from another time in a way. You could film him in black and white and imagine him on the field in the 30s or the golden age. Just that bearing to him. He also played fast bowling so late. Was a classical old-school style player. I oved watching him bat. It was sad to see his last series here. He's a proper gent to boot. A class act.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Spectator
    Well I'm surprised at the poll results. I thought dravid would have at least 50% of the votes. People oviously don't rate his reliability and sound classical test match technique against pontings somewhat suspect one against spin and swing. I agree with most said about ponting and the way he gets his runs quicker and is more attacking but I just thinking dravids got more to offer the team which makes him a better player.
    Dream Team since 1970-2012 1.Smith 2.Hayden 3.Ponting (C) 4.Lara 5.Richards 6.Kallis 7.Gilchrist(WK) 8.Warne 9.Ambrose 10.Lillee 11.McGrath 12th man Tendulkar

Dream Team 1870-1970 1.Hobbs 2.Hutton 3.Bradman (C) 4.Hammond 5.Miller 6.Sobers 7.Oldield(WK)8.Lindwall 9.Trueman 10.Barnes 11.O'Reilly 12th man Weekes

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information