• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great paper innings

the big bambino

International Captain
With respect you don't have a point. You've made a presumption. Its not relevant to talk about Ponting when discussing Hussey.

Though I can reveal a little of what I think of Ponting now. Your preference for him is basically what has been wrong with our selections. Ponting is clearly no longer test match standard. He understands that. Why do you think he resigned the captaincy and retired when he once had ambitions to tour Eng as captain? So why don't you?

You pick players on their names when they are no longer the men that made their reputation. A failing of selectors and fans. Fact is whomever replaces Ponting will be doing poorly even if he replicates his form of the last few series. Therefore Ponting in his recent test form is little better than say a George Bailey. Thats the standard you are prefering over everyone except Clarke. Stripped of his reputation that is all thats left of him. So its actually no big deal not to take him even if he was available.

Yet you would; even after acknowledging his poor form. Which is contradictory.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
What's weird about this exchange is that nobody seems to acknowledge that Hussey didn't pick himself and I've never heard of anyone ever making themselves unavailable because they felt they weren't good enough.

So what exactly did you expect him to do? Out of form batsmen scratch around and produce niggly unattractive innings, that's how being out of form works. Hopefully, if they string enough together they get back into some kind of form and push on from there, that's why selectors stick with people like Hussey, cos he'd done it before.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
With respect you don't have a point.
Well with respect I think I do, you're just not seeing it or choosing to ignore it.

You've made a presumption. Its not relevant to talk about Ponting when discussing Hussey.
What have I presumed??

And I do think it is relevant to mention Ponting, when you have been pretty strong on your views of Hussey and his position in the side during a couple of lean years. I don't see how you can be of that opinion on Hussey and not think it applies doubly to Ponting......who was in worse form for longer and never came out of it. At least Hussey repaid the faith shown in him.

Anyway mate, this could go around and around for ever, probably best to just agree to disagree. You're entitled to your opinion on Husseys Oval ton, I don't agree with you but I'm sure nothing I say will change that opinion.

the big bambino

International Captain
You've raised the same points I answered in my previous post. Which means its just getting circular. So meeting adjourned I guess. Anyway the side we have isn't very good but the selectors haven't made any boners. Can't really see where our runs are going to come from but I have a hope Bird will have a great series.