Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The great paper innings

Yeah Hughes has been mismanaged and remodelled so badly the monty python gang woulda got more out of him. Kid had gun talent that's for sure.

Bambino, did you feel this way about Hussey (or at least as strongly) prior to his retirement? Genuinely curious as to whether his retirement has particularly pissed your off or you always felt this way about him and his retirement was just further proof to back up your belief.

International Debutant
    Perhaps I should blame the selectors. Its unusual an out of form player is given such licence. Its clear Hussey is a talent with ability to play bowling short and full. But if it aint working drop him. The idea is to wound his pride. Would we have suffered in the short term? No more than continually underperforming Hussey. But we may have got a good replacement and a fired up Hussey with the love of sweet jesus in his pretty blue eyes kicking the door down with shield runs.

There was plenty wrong with Ponting's captaincy. Funnily enough one of his virtues, loyalty, being one of them. I'm guessing Hussey had a powerful friend in the team as well as on the panel. That's the cause of my anger I guess. It seems to me the individual was more important than the team. Worse still his retention was said to be good for the team. I just think that's a lie or, if genuinely believed, deluded.

Looking at it as rationally as I can I guess I'm being ott cricticising his character. Unfair of me. Though I still don't like the way he handled his retirement. Maybe its just the circumstances surrounding his selection and the concommitant misplacing of priorities that I find hard to square.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 12-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Definitely don't think its wrong to be pissed at the way he retired. But I really don't see Hussey being kept on is even in the top 10 ****test things Australian selectors have done in the last 5 years.

International Debutant
    I agree there's alot to be pissed about.

All this focus on Hussey being carried makes no sense to me when at the same time you had a much worse performing batsmen in Ricky Ponting who was carried in the team far longer than Hussey.

Hussey had 2 poor years and repaid the selectors faith in him with 4 very good ones right up to his retirement. Ricky Ponting lost his mojo in 2007, had a passable 2008 (albeit by his lofty standards) and was pretty bloody crap from then till the end.

So that's 1 reasonable year in his last 6........so why the focus on Hussey???

Fact is if there were any batsmen banging down the door for selection both could have been dropped during these times, but there was and is no one screaming to be selected.

I'd even go as far to say if I were an Australian selector and if either Hussey or Ponting made themselves available for this Ashes I'd still pick the pair of them.

Bob Simpson's 311

4th Test: England v Australia at Manchester, Jul 23-28, 1964 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Batted more than 2 days at a strike rate of 42 on a pitch so flat that the opposition replied with 600+ of their own in a match that contained little more than 2 innings

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Wrong.

International Debutant
    You realise this...

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    All this focus on Hussey being carried makes no sense to me when at the same time you had a much worse performing batsmen in Ricky Ponting who was carried in the team far longer than Hussey.

Hussey had 2 poor years and repaid the selectors faith in him with 4 very good ones right up to his retirement. Ricky Ponting lost his mojo in 2007, had a passable 2008 (albeit by his lofty standards) and was pretty bloody crap from then till the end.

So that's 1 reasonable year in his last 6........so why the focus on Hussey???

Fact is if there were any batsmen banging down the door for selection both could have been dropped during these times, but there was and is no one screaming to be selected.
    ...is contradicted by this:

I'd even go as far to say if I were an Australian selector and if either Hussey or Ponting made themselves available for this Ashes I'd still pick the pair of them.
    Don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    You realise this...

...is contradicted by this:

Don't you?
    How am I contradicting myself?? Did you miss this.....

I didn't say once that either of them should have been dropped. I said that Hussey could have over a 2 year period and Punter could have over a much longer time.

But they weren't and I don't think they should have been, because what is the point of dropping them when there is no candidates putting their hands up as better replacements??

Sad state of affairs the Australian batting stocks because Hussey and Ponting are the 2nd and 3rd best batsmen in the country.

and one day the poms might produce one as good. doubt it though
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    and one day the poms might produce one as good. doubt it though
    As both of them?? Cook will smash Husseys test record and could very well go past Punters 13K. Whether that will make him a better batsmen or not is a conversation we'll have to have when he's done.

And according to Chappell the Aussies will probably never see their like again either.
    Last edited by Adders; 13-05-2013 at 04:54 AM.

Ordinari Post Tijdender

368 years and still going strong.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

International Debutant
    How am I contradicting myself?? Did you miss this.....

I didn't say once that either of them should have been dropped. I said that Hussey could have over a 2 year period and Punter could have over a much longer time.

But they weren't and I don't think they should have been, because what is the point of dropping them when there is no candidates putting their hands up as better replacements??

Sad state of affairs the Australian batting stocks because Hussey and Ponting are the 2nd and 3rd best batsmen in the country.
    You said that Ponting was crap for 6 years but you'd still pick him. Who would you drop for him when you know that his reflexes are completely shot for test cricket?

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    You said that Ponting was crap for 6 years but you'd still pick him.
    Well you still have to put 11 players on the park, whether he was crap or not is irrelevant if he was the best you had available. I think his subsequent Shield season showed that whilst he might have been struggling in tests he was still in front of anyone else in the wings.

Anyway, the point of my post was to see why you were ****canning Hussey so hard when it is obvious that Ponting was in a far more tenuous position at that time??

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information