• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malcolm Marshall vs Glen McGrath

You prefer

• Total voters

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sammy has no right in our Test team, period.
Such an interesting, contentious thing. Clearly he is a very strong leader, but unfortunately he isn't quite worthy of his place in the team. I'd keep him for the next couple of years.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where does Roach play during off-season nowadays? County, or Windies domestic? Hope not T20 freelance.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cummins certainly has a staggering record at this stage. However, I remember reading an article on cricinfo a few months back saying that the standard of batting in WI domestic cricket is historically ****. What's your opinion on the current state of batting kyear?

Slifer

International Captain
Cummins certainly has a staggering record at this stage. However, I remember reading an article on cricinfo a few months back saying that the standard of batting in WI domestic cricket is historically ****. What's your opinion on the current state of batting kyear?
Combo of poor batting and underprepared wickets. In the past WI went in droves to Eng and eslewhwere to fine tune their techiniques (however unorthodox they were ala Viv etc) but nowadays this doesnt happen. I honestly think though, that in the long term, the batting will take care of itself. Now if only the bowlers we have now can remain fit and not over worked.

clanforgamers

Cricket Spectator
Who do you think is the better bowler?
Mcgrath is slightly better statically in many aspects whether it is longevity, whether it is consistency and in many other aspects. Whereas marshall has the higher skillset. But I didn't believe in this ****ty logic of that he is more talented etc. If he is unable to showcase his talent in around 80 test matches then his talent was worthless IMO. Marshall IMO is the second-best pacer after the 1970s.

Slifer

International Captain
Mcgrath is slightly better statically in many aspects whether it is longevity, whether it is consistency and in many other aspects. Whereas marshall has the higher skillset. But I didn't believe in this ****ty logic of that he is more talented etc. If he is unable to showcase his talent in around 80 test matches then his talent was worthless IMO. Marshall IMO is the second-best pacer after the 1970s.
This part never made any sense to me. There is no statistic (average, SR, Wpm etc) that McGrath is really ahead in. And Marshalls highest average vs any team was 22 and change...

subshakerz

International Coach
Points in favor of Marshall:

- Higher pace
- Greater variety
- Better peak
- Better overall stats

Points in favor of McGrath:

- Greater accuracy
- Greater longevity of peak form
- Excelled in a tougher batting era

Both are them rank high on bowling intelligence, peer rating, taking on top opposition batsmen and subcontinent record.

Marshall takes it.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Being Australian, and having watched McGrath growing up, I’m slightly surprised at myself, but I’ve almost always rated Marshall as the superior bowler since I started properly getting into cricket history and ATG discussions. Of course between them we’re splitting hairs but Marshall would always be my first pick as a pace bowler, with McGrath close behind.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Always rated Marshall a bit ahead, but some of the recent revelations got me thinking.

Marshall very rarely(probably never) had to play with the handicap of an unfit or drugged Garner, Holding or Ambrose at the other end.

On the other hand, Mcgrath had to go through a lot against one of his opposition. One can only imagine the ordeal.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Points in favor of Marshall:

- Higher pace
- Greater variety
- Better peak
- Better overall stats

Points in favor of McGrath:

- Greater accuracy
- Greater longevity of peak form
- Excelled in a tougher batting era

Both are them rank high on bowling intelligence, peer rating, taking on top opposition batsmen and subcontinent record.

Marshall takes it.
On what basis was McGrath a more accurate bowler than Marshall? My impression is that they were both among the most accurate bowlers ever and could both consistently land it exactly where they wanted. McGrath probably pitched the ball in the same place time and again more repetitively, but that is simply a function of Marshall having a wider repertoire of tools to get people out.

subshakerz

International Coach
On what basis was McGrath a more accurate bowler than Marshall? My impression is that they were both among the most accurate bowlers ever and could both consistently land it exactly where they wanted. McGrath probably pitched the ball in the same place time and again more repetitively, but that is simply a function of Marshall having a wider repertoire of tools to get people out.
Not so say that Marshall wasnt accurate, but metronomic accuracy was McGraths calling card.