• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malcolm Marshall vs Glen McGrath

You prefer

• Total voters

Prot

Cricket Spectator
Not a fan of comparing players from different eras. It's often meaningless because so many factors change significantly.

I voted for Marshall considering the skills he possessed.

Ruckus

International Captain
How come Joel Garner doesn't come into the frame more often? I haven't seen enough of him to really know, but from what I've seen his bowling looked scary.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
How come Joel Garner doesn't come into the frame more often? I haven't seen enough of him to really know, but from what I've seen his bowling looked scary.
I saw him the other day in a suit and tie and he looked scary then as well, but that doesn't make him a top male model.

Ruckus

International Captain
Well we're not just talking about some tenuous aura here; his actual record is impeccable as well.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Garner is very highly rated, in fact overrated on here. A couple of years ago there was a poll between Garner and Lillee, and Lillee was only a couple of votes in front.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Garner is very highly rated, in fact overrated on here. A couple of years ago there was a poll between Garner and Lillee, and Lillee was only a couple of votes in front.
Yeah, agreed. Garner is not as much of a strike bowlers as the Marshalls, Lillees and McGraths here, but he can be an ideal foil for a strike bowler.

bagapath

International Captain
Not enough five-fers. So big bird loses out in these comparisons.

Marshall, despite stiff competition from two or even three of - holding, garner, ambrose, walsh and bishop all the time and with croft, patterson, roberts thrown into the mix occasionally, still ended up with 22 five wicket hauls in 81 tests. Averaged under 25 against all teams. Got the big guns in the opposition out regularly. Had pace, swing, variation, aggression, stamina and style in tons. Prime candidate for the title of "Best pacer Ever". Just an inch ahead of even the best of the best like hadlee, mcgrath, imran, lillee, ambrose, trueman etc.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Marshall, despite stiff competition from two or even three of - holding, garner, ambrose, walsh and bishop all the time and with croft, patterson, roberts thrown into the mix occasionally, still ended up with 22 five wicket hauls in 81 tests. Averaged under 25 against all teams. Got the big guns in the opposition out regularly. Had pace, swing, variation, aggression, stamina and style in tons. Prime candidate for the title of "Best pacer Ever". Just an inch ahead of even the best of the best like hadlee, mcgrath, imran, lillee, ambrose, trueman etc.

This. Marshall stood out as the best in an era chock full of contenders.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Malcolm Marshall: The Predator | Cricket News | Cricbuzz.com

Andy Lloyd, for example, had his Test match batting career curtailed to just 33 minutes during the first Test of the 1984 visit to England. Struck on the right temple by a screaming Marshall bouncer, Lloyd was out like a light as he fell motionless on the pitch. Hospitalized for several days, he was left with permanent vision impairment, never played cricket again until 1985, and failed to regain the form that would warrant a Test recall.
During the first One day International of England's 1986 tour to the West Indies, played in Jamaica, Mike Gatting lost his wicket when a bouncer from Marshall was redirected onto his stumps by his nose. So vicious was the blow that fragments of bone cartilage were found lodged in the seam of the ball. It was the first game of the series and Gatting never made another appearance until the last Test in Antigua, almost two months later.
Murderous

Teja.

Global Moderator
Eminem - Business w/ Lyrics

Ladies and gentlemen, it's showtime, hurry hurry, step right up,
introducing the star of our show, his name is, MARSHALL!, you wouldn't want to be anywhere else
in the world right now, so without further ado, I bring to you, MARSHALL!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty decisive, shortest vs thread as well. Thought it would have generated more discussion.

Days of Grace

International Captain
It's a lot closer than the poll result suggests.

Taking it on bare stats and the fact that Marshall died tragically early are the main factors here.

But huge kudos to Marshall for bring the best of a huge strike-force of West Indian bowlers in the 1980s.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a lot closer than the poll result suggests.

Taking it on bare stats and the fact that Marshall died tragically early are the main factors here.
But huge kudos to Marshall for bring the best of a huge strike-force of West Indian bowlers in the 1980s.
Massively disagree, what I loved most about Mcgrath was his intensity and consistency, but to watch Marshall bowl was exhilerating. I think it was Bagbath who articulated it the best earlier in this thread.

For me personally with Bradman and Sobers one of the top three players of All Time, though freely admit that probably only Nufan would share that opinion.

Last edited: