• Marshall

37 67.27%
  • McGrath

18 32.73%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Malcolm Marshall vs Glen McGrath

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    IMO the WI dominant period started right after their humbling at the hands of Oz in1976. Thats when Lloyd did away with spinners and loaded up his team with the likes of: Croft, Garner, Holding, Roberts (not to mention Wayne Daniel etc). From 76 up until Lloyd retired I think WI were really dominant beating all other test teams home and away losing only away to NZ and away to India (with a second XI). After Lloyd retired Garner and Holding were in and out of the team more often than not and though the WI were still (IMO) clearly the best team they werent quite as dominant as evidenced by all those draws post 86 (much credit must be given to Imran, Hadlee etc ). Even in 95 WI might have won had Courtney Brown not had butter fingers and dropped Waugh in the critical 4th test In Jamaica. The first time in 20 years that I really knew the torch was passed was when Oz beat us in 96/97. The scoreline read 3-2 in Oz's favor but they really were the much better "team".
    I have to admit I would have felt upset if we didn't win that 96/97 series. So I guess the bad luck the WI had in losing Ambrose for Adelaide was perhaps compensation for our more consistent play over the breadth of the series.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I have to admit I would have felt upset if we didn't win that 96/97 series. So I guess the bad luck the WI had in losing Ambrose for Adelaide was perhaps compensation for our more consistent play over the breadth of the series.
    Also, even though Ambrose was injured for Adelaide, the other WI bowlers couldve had a much better time had they not over stepped with no balls, 3 wickets off no balls in the innings? Hayden twice, and Bevan i seem to recall. Hopeless stuff.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    They are coming back Smali. Mark my word.
    I hope so.....it would be great for world cricket to have a strong WI again
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

We have some young impressive fast bowlers who will start to emerge shortly. Batting wise Bravo needs to emerge and I think Powell has the ability to be a great opener, but yea, the batting has a really long way to go and we don't know how long Samuels will be around. Chanders is also on the way out.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant
    We have some young impressive fast bowlers who will start to emerge shortly. Batting wise Bravo needs to emerge and I think Powell has the ability to be a great opener, but yea, the batting has a really long way to go and we don't know how long Samuels will be around. Chanders is also on the way out.
    Can you name a few? Would like to check out their profiles.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 15-05-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Yes we do. And I'm particularly impressed with Gabriel and Roach thus far, though, obviously it's way too early to assess their potential. I am concerned about the third seamer though. Sammy is ok but he's no first change bowler AFAIC and he only makes the team (IMHO) because he is the captain. Batting wise,there is heaps load of room for improvement.

On a side note and this is completely unrelated but there is a seamer from Zimbabwe who played us in the last series Jarvis I think. I think he has a lot of potential as well.
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

International Debutant
    Oh ok. I thought there maybe some U19 bowlers or some guys doing well in island cricket that have yet to debut.

Miguel Cummins, only 9 matches, but you have to see him bowl. He is 22 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    Yes we do. And I'm particularly impressed with Gabriel and Roach thus far, though, obviously it's way too early to assess their potential. I am concerned about the third seamer though. Sammy is ok but he's no first change bowler AFAIC and he only makes the team (IMHO) because he is the captain. Batting wise,there is heaps load of room for improvement.

On a side note and this is completely unrelated but there is a seamer from Zimbabwe who played us in the last series Jarvis I think. I think he has a lot of potential as well.
    Sammy has no right in our Test team, period.

State Vice-Captain
    Yeah Chanders is really on the way out... 987 runs @ 98.70 last year, poor guy.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Sammy has no right in our Test team, period.
    Such an interesting, contentious thing. Clearly he is a very strong leader, but unfortunately he isn't quite worthy of his place in the team. I'd keep him for the next couple of years.

Where does Roach play during off-season nowadays? County, or Windies domestic? Hope not T20 freelance.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Cummins certainly has a staggering record at this stage. However, I remember reading an article on cricinfo a few months back saying that the standard of batting in WI domestic cricket is historically ****. What's your opinion on the current state of batting kyear?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Cummins certainly has a staggering record at this stage. However, I remember reading an article on cricinfo a few months back saying that the standard of batting in WI domestic cricket is historically ****. What's your opinion on the current state of batting kyear?
    Combo of poor batting and underprepared wickets. In the past WI went in droves to Eng and eslewhwere to fine tune their techiniques (however unorthodox they were ala Viv etc) but nowadays this doesnt happen. I honestly think though, that in the long term, the batting will take care of itself. Now if only the bowlers we have now can remain fit and not over worked.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information