• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malcolm Marshall vs Glen McGrath

You prefer

• Total voters

anil1405

International Captain
Watching dk lillee was better than anyone to have ever lived.His run up was the best ever ,his action when he was old too was possibly the best ever,I personally prefer watching young dk lillee with his run up ,watching dk lillee was better than watching Marshall any day.
Good for you but don't generalise by saying "anyone who watched".

As pointed by Harsh, this is a subjective thing and everyone have their own tastes.

I watched loads of tapes of late 70s and 80s bowlers in action as a kid and for me there is no better sight than watching Waqar Younis at his best.

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
Good for you but don't generalise by saying "anyone who watched".

(As pointed by Harsh, this is a subjective thing and everyone have their own tastes.)

I watched loads of tapes of late 70s and 80s bowlers in action as a kid and for me there is no better sight than watching Waqar Younis at his best.
Same thing to the person who said about watching McGrath,I mean watching larwood bowl in old footage looks better than everyone for me.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Same thing to the person who said about watching McGrath,I mean watching larwood bowl in old footage looks better than everyone for me.
Yeah, sad there is not enough footage of Larwood to really get a good feel.

Him, Frank Tyson, Bill O'Reilly - would love to watch long reels of their stuff

subshakerz

International Coach
Watching dk lillee was better than anyone to have ever lived.His run up was the best ever ,his action when he was old too was possibly the best ever,I personally prefer watching young dk lillee with his run up ,watching dk lillee was better than watching Marshall any day.
Holding had a better looking run up and action.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think this guy might like Dennis Lillee

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Zaheer Khan had a very aesthetic action IMO.

Among ATGs, Donald's was my favourite. Akram too for generating so much pace with such a short run up.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If aesthetic quality of action was what we used to rank ATGs, I'd rank Mohammad Sami very close to the top unironically. Great runup, smooth action, glorious hair flopping up and down. WAG.

Himannv

International Coach
Agree regarding Sami. Absolutely loved his action plus he was quite rapid for such a small-made guy.

Chrish

International Debutant
Mcg is the best bowler I have seen.. It’s difficult for me to imagine a better bowler. However, almost everyone who has seen both, unanimously agrees that Marco was better although of course not by much. It’s difficult to ignore it. He must have been some bowler.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
McGrath by the barest of margins. Could go either way imo tho. Marshall looks better in some of the basic metrics used to evaluate a bowler: average, SR, WPM, % of fifers. However McGrath is better in important factors as well: % of top order wickets, longevity(in terms of matches and wickets taken), and the fact that the last 6 years or so of his career was one of the easiest eras for batting and his stats in this era are genuinely insane(Marshall has terrific performances on flat wickets as well, but the only places he faced flat wickets were India and to some extent Pakistan, in McGrath’s case during the second half of career he faced such wickets on a much regular basis, especially considering his home wickets had become quite flat). I tilt towards McGrath, because I think in some of the factors Marshall beats him, it is very marginal such as average(diff of less than 0.7), WPM(difference of 0.06). The metrics(from which I have listed)in which Marshall is clearly ahead are SR and % of fifers. But McGrath is far ahead in % and number of top order wickets(top five ever, while Marshall is clearly further down the list), longevity(nearly 1 1/2 more matches and 180+ more wickets), and the era in which the second half of his career was in. Plus McGrath’s domination of the two best batsmen of his era edges it very very marginally towards him( Marshall also dominated Gavaskar and Border, but they weren’t as good as Tendulkar or Lara, and Marshall never bowled to the best batsmen of his era- Viv Richards).

Gob

International Coach
McGrath by the barest of margins. Could go either way imo tho. Marshall looks better in some of the basic metrics used to evaluate a bowler: average, SR, WPM, % of fifers. However McGrath is better in important factors as well: % of top order wickets, longevity(in terms of matches and wickets taken), and the fact that the last 6 years or so of his career was one of the easiest eras for batting and his stats in this era are genuinely insane(Marshall has terrific performances on flat wickets as well, but the only places he faced flat wickets were India and to some extent Pakistan, in McGrath’s case during the second half of career he faced such wickets on a much regular basis, especially considering his home wickets had become quite flat). I tilt towards McGrath, because I think in some of the factors Marshall beats him, it is very marginal such as average(diff of less than 0.7), WPM(difference of 0.06). The metrics(from which I have listed)in which Marshall is clearly ahead are SR and % of fifers. But McGrath is far ahead in % and number of top order wickets(top five ever, while Marshall is clearly further down the list), longevity(nearly 1 1/2 more matches and 180+ more wickets), and the era in which the second half of his career was in. Plus McGrath’s domination of the two best batsmen of his era edges it very very marginally towards him( Marshall also dominated Gavaskar and Border, but they weren’t as good as Tendulkar or Lara, and Marshall never bowled to the best batsmen of his era- Viv Richards).
Ok