View Poll Results: Who was Australia's best semi-chucker?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hugh Trumble

7 43.75%
  • Ian Johnson

0 0%
  • Greg Matthews

0 0%
  • Colin Miller

1 6.25%
  • Ashley Mallett

4 25.00%
  • Jack Iverson

0 0%
  • Glenn Maxwell

2 12.50%
  • I thought the punishment was very harsh and I'm reconsidering my future in Tests

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australia's best-ever finger spinner

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar

Australia's best-ever finger spinner

Too many of these threads already, but until the England/NZ series starts you can all gagf and take what you can get.

We have a proud history of wristies (including the oft-unsung Chuck Fleetwood-Smith) but in the epochs between O'Reilly/Grimmett, Benaud and Warnie we've leaned on our more impotent brethren to keep it tight while the quicks blasted away from the other end.

Who did the best job?
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    We have a proud history of wristies

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Mallett, perhaps? Very few highly successful Australian offies or orthodox spinners, tbh.

George Giffen in with a shot as well, IMO.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Mallett, perhaps? Very few highly successful Australian offies or orthodox spinners, tbh.

George Giffen in with a shot as well, IMO.
    ****, forgot Giffen and May.

International Debutant
    All depends how the old time medium pace bowlers before and during the golden age are categorised. If you consider them spin bowlers then I'd pick Hugh Trumble. He didn't just keep it quiet either. Reads as someone very special.

Chuck is our most under rated wristie. Played his part in winning an ashes and retaining them at the next opportunity. His figures are distorted by the blow out at the oval when he should have had Hutton at 40. Good sense of humour he was once asked how he pulled up after that slaughter. Woke up in the middle of the night and my arm was still going around he said.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Trumble seems to have been very very good. Iverson was brilliant but very short term. Chappelli rated Mallet pretty highly.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Must admit I don't really get Ian Johnson. His overall figures during his 45 Tests aren't bad (Ave = 29.19, SR = 80.5), but his numbers against England are less than inspiring (Ave = 37.85, SR = 109.3).

So how did Johnson last a full decade in the Australian side when there must have been more talented/effective spin bowlers available due to the culture of spin bowling in Sheffield Shield cricket? Sure he was Captain, but Australian selectors have a tradition of picking the Captain from the best XI selected.

Or am I being a bit harsh on the man? Maybe an historian could help?
    Last edited by watson; 08-05-2013 at 08:32 PM.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Must admit I don't really get Ian Johnson. His overall figures during his 45 Tests aren't bad (Ave = 29.19, SR = 80.5), but his numbers against England are less than inspiring (Ave = 37.85, SR = 109.3).

So how did Johnson last a full decade in the Australian side when there must have been more talented/effective spin bowlers available due to the culture of spin bowling in Sheffield Shield cricket? Sure he was Captain, but Australian selectors have a tradition of picking the Captain from the best XI selected.

Or am I being a bit harsh on the man? Maybe an historian could help?
    I'm no historian, but I do know that Johnson was strongly encourgaged to persist with cricket (when he wasn't be selected by his state) in order to get back in to the Australian team and assume the captaincy vacancy. Bradman had his fingerprints all over Johnson's career, largely because Bradman didn't want to see Miller captain Australia (when he should have).

Benaud has commented on this, saying that Johnson's "speech making" got him the gig. Probably the one instance in Australian cricket where the captain was selected not on merit.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    ****, forgot Giffen and May.
    And Bruce Yardley!

Ray Bright worth a mention as well, one of the very few orthodox left-armers.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    His figures were boosted by his successes against the relatively weak South African/West Indies sides of the period but Dainty Ironmonger would still be my call

International Debutant
    Yeah forgot Dainty. Still go for Trumble (if he fits the category which I'm inclined to think he does)

Icon9 indias best ever finger upper

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Captain
    Peter Taylor is worthy of a mention. Not a great bowler and probably one of the most ridiculous selections in Test history. He lingers in the memory because he ruined an otherwise perfect MCC tour of Australia in 86/87 with his batting and bowling in the final Test at Sydney.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    His figures were boosted by his successes against the relatively weak South African/West Indies sides of the period but Dainty Ironmonger would still be my call
    Jeez forgot about him... played tests til he was 51 too.. they just don't make 'em like they used to..
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Debutant
    What he might have done to England in 1930. Grimmett made his name on that tour but Ironmonger could have founded a legend if Hendren was quoted correctly. He thought Eng would have lost 5 blot if Ironmonger toured.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information