Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alec Stewart - Toughest career opponents XI

International Captain

Alec Stewart - Toughest career opponents XI

Left out Viv Richards because his best days were behind him by 1990, yet included Greenidge and Marshall. Always thought he was a bit of a weirdo. Not a bad team though.

BBC Sport - Sachin Tendulkar among my toughest rivals - Alec Stewart

Wasim Akram always ends up in these teams doesn't he? And always over Waqar or McGrath. Probably the only instance of prevailing CW opinion that differs from the pros every time.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Classic "playing to the Indian audience" by the newspaper.. Stewart says Lara is the best batsman he has played against bar none but the headline reads - Sachin amongst Stewart's toughest opponents.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Wasim Akram always ends up in these teams doesn't he? And always over Waqar or McGrath. Probably the only instance of prevailing CW opinion that differs from the pros every time.
    Guess it's a personal thing, but plenty of the guys who faced Wasim said he was the one they hated batting against the most.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Guess it's a personal thing, but plenty of the guys who faced Wasim said he was the one they hated batting against the most.
    It probably is a personal thing. Geoff Boycott always says that the bowler he liked facing least was Colin Croft. He wasn't the greatest bowler but when he wasn't bothered whether he barged the umpire or not he used to deliver from wide of the crease and skid the ball into the batsman.

Wasim was brilliant imo. I rate him so highly. He had an unusal action and he swung the ball massive amounts at times.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    A lot of Test batsman (inc. Taylor and Border iirc) said if they were to be reincarnated it would be as Wasim Akram.

Like an always-in-form Mitchell Johnson. One of the few bowlers who could pitch it exactly where they wanted and make it move exactly how much they wanted, as opposed to "let's run in and hope this swings on a length" like your common Test paceman. Great angle for bouncing, brilliant yorker (lost in Waqar's shadow there, though) and ultimate proof that bottle tops > Murray Mints for reverse swing.

I think he cops a lot of flak on here for going on too long in Tests and blowing out his average to the high 23s, which makes a lot of Cribbs raise an eyebrow. Would dismantle any batting line-up today.

Apparently he's taken Starceh under his wing. Can think of worse bowling coaches for Australia ATM.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 08-05-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

International Debutant
    I'm a bit stunned at the under rating of Akram tbh. Frankly he was heaps better than Waqar. That's not disparaging the latter but tells you how good Akram was. The big difference is that Waqar was predictable. The 2 deliveries Akram bowled at Lamb and Lewis (from memory) to win the wc (again from memory) perfectly represent his skill. You just didn't know what was coming next. Except you knew it was going to be good.

I once saw Akram make a dunce out of Greenidge. No other bowler did that. Yes he could be lazy but at his best Akram is the last bowler you'd want to face.

State Vice-Captain
    I'd rather face Akram than Barnes... both devestating with so much variation though..
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    They may have hated playing againts him, but he didn't get them out as often as he should have, think Watson had a list of the batsmen he dismissed the most which was quite revealing. For me he performed better with the older ball than with the new one and took more tail end wickets than top order or middle order. He may have been the most talented but he wasn't the most effective and the fact that he was never once the top rated fast bowler, far less cracked a bolwer rating of 850 speaks volumes. Great bowler, but for me Waqar was better.
    Last edited by kyear2; 08-05-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant
    Fmd! Never got them out! You're probably thinking of Md Akram. He got heaps of them out and his deadliness againt the tail adds to his usefulness rather than detracts from it. He was just as capable as Lillee against the top order and beat him hands down against the tail. Lillee was a poor bowler against the tail which increases his batter/tail ender ratio and this is somehow to his credit. Weird thinking. (Btw I'll say it now and never again bcos I don't want to cop the abuse but Lillee is an overrated bowler).

Ratings are at a complete discount to the point of being meaningless. There are many team and individual examples in cricket and other sports. That Akram was never the world's best reflects on the ratings not Akram.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Fmd! Never got them out! You're probably thinking of Md Akram. He got heaps of them out and his deadliness againt the tail adds to his usefulness rather than detracts from it. He was just as capable as Lillee against the top order and beat him hands down against the tail. Lillee was a poor bowler against the tail which increases his batter/tail ender ratio and this is somehow to his credit. Weird thinking. (Btw I'll say it now and never again bcos I don't want to cop the abuse but Lillee is an overrated bowler).

Ratings are at a complete discount to the point of being meaningless. There are many team and individual examples in cricket and other sports. That Akram was never the world's best reflects on the ratings not Akram.
    Now, now, bambi, breathe. Akram has his flaws. The only way to elevate his record against the top order is if we managed to convince ourselves that the top order bats played with a lot more caution against him than they did against other greats. Ratings can be meaningless when judging a career, yes, because it is possible for a player to be the best of his era without ever having the form to reach no 1. From what I saw of Wasim, I think he required a good captain/motivator/adviser to get the best out of himself, and sometimes he tried too many variations when things weren't going his way.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    (Btw I'll say it now and never again bcos I don't want to cop the abuse but Lillee is an overrated bowler).

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    I think he cops a lot of flak on here for going on too long in Tests and blowing out his average to the high 23s, which makes a lot of Cribbs raise an eyebrow
    What a ridiculous thing to say. I'd rate him lower than I do if he retired earlier.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    I'd rather face Akram than Barnes... both devestating with so much variation though..
    You don't even know Barnes FFS!

How do you know what it would have been like to face him? Most people are in debate as to what type of bowler he was, which makes it even more difficult to make a decision on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information