Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alec Stewart - Toughest career opponents XI

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Classic "playing to the Indian audience" by the newspaper.. Stewart says Lara is the best batsman he has played against bar none but the headline reads - Sachin amongst Stewart's toughest opponents.
    Seriously. I read the same in a local newspaper and I was like WTF...
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post

Gran Torino?

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Now, now, bambi, breathe. Akram has his flaws. The only way to elevate his record against the top order is if we managed to convince ourselves that the top order bats played with a lot more caution against him than they did against other greats. Ratings can be meaningless when judging a career, yes, because it is possible for a player to be the best of his era without ever having the form to reach no 1. From what I saw of Wasim, I think he required a good captain/motivator/adviser to get the best out of himself, and sometimes he tried too many variations when things weren't going his way.
    Nah mate. He's a total gun.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post

Gran Torino?
    Yep. I think it's my favourite movie ever.

U19 Debutant
    So this is Stewart's XI:

1. Gordon Greenidge (West Indies)
    2. Matthew Hayden (Australia)
    3. Brian Lara (West Indies)
    4. Sachin Tendulkar (India)
    5. Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
    6. Steve Waugh (captain, Australia)
    7. Adam Gilchrist (Australia, wicketkeeper)
    8. Wasim Akram (Pakistan)
    9. Shane Warne (Australia)
    10. Malcolm Marshall (West Indies)
    11. Curtly Ambrose (West Indies)

Hypothetically, I'd like to see how they go against this (they all played against Stewart as well):

Anwar
    Sehwag
    Ponting
    Dravid
    Sangakkara
    Border (capt)
    Flower (wk)
    Pollock
    Hadlee
    Waqar
    Murali

Who would win?

This 2nd side is arguably a stronger batting line-up (with Pollock and Hadlee at 8 & 9), but Stewart's side has more bowling variety with a left-armer in Wasim, plus having Kallis as the 5th bowler. I picked Waqar instead of McGrath to add pace to the attack (McGrath is a taller Pollock/Hadlee who can't bat.)

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Wasim Akram always ends up in these teams doesn't he? And always over Waqar or McGrath. Probably the only instance of prevailing CW opinion that differs from the pros every time.
    Personally have WA in front of both
    You know it makes sense.

love calling my best mate zipperhead
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Classic "playing to the Indian audience" by the newspaper.. Stewart says Lara is the best batsman he has played against bar none but the headline reads - Sachin amongst Stewart's toughest opponents.
    The BBC adore Sachin. The only time you'll see a non England-related headline on the front page of their website is when something of any significance has happened to Sachin.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Yep. I think it's my favourite movie ever.
    Its up there alright. Can't go wrong with Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    The BBC adore Sachin. The only time you'll see a non England-related headline on the front page of their website is when something of any significance has happened to Sachin.
    Nah's It's not a random bias, It obviously has to be a playing to the Indian gallery conspiracy as hb will tell you.
    Last edited by Teja.; 09-05-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    You don't even know Barnes FFS!

How do you know what it would have been like to face him? Most people are in debate as to what type of bowler he was, which makes it even more difficult to make a decision on him.
    Based on what I have read, and his stats. I haven't seen much, if any footage of Akram bowling either. So I guess I'm not allowed an opinion of him either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    So this is Stewart's XI:

1. Gordon Greenidge (West Indies)
    2. Matthew Hayden (Australia)
    3. Brian Lara (West Indies)
    4. Sachin Tendulkar (India)
    5. Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
    6. Steve Waugh (captain, Australia)
    7. Adam Gilchrist (Australia, wicketkeeper)
    8. Wasim Akram (Pakistan)
    9. Shane Warne (Australia)
    10. Malcolm Marshall (West Indies)
    11. Curtly Ambrose (West Indies)

Hypothetically, I'd like to see how they go against this (they all played against Stewart as well):

Anwar
    Sehwag
    Ponting
    Dravid
    Sangakkara
    Border (capt)
    Flower (wk)
    Pollock
    Hadlee
    Waqar
    Murali

Who would win?

This 2nd side is arguably a stronger batting line-up (with Pollock and Hadlee at 8 & 9), but Stewart's side has more bowling variety with a left-armer in Wasim, plus having Kallis as the 5th bowler. I picked Waqar instead of McGrath to add pace to the attack (McGrath is a taller Pollock/Hadlee who can't bat.)
    Would much rather have McGrath over Pollock. Kallis and Gilchrist really give his team an edge though.
    Last edited by Coronis; 09-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    You don't even know Barnes FFS!

How do you know what it would have been like to face him? Most people are in debate as to what type of bowler he was, which makes it even more difficult to make a decision on him.
    Put that down as another way to bias against older cricketers. Apparently it reflects on their skill that they didn't have the "movin picture shows" back in the day.

Whatever next.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Nah's It's not a random bias, It obviously has to be a playing to the Indian gallery conspiracy as hb will tell you.
    Nah, it makes sense to sense your audience and play to them.. It is just funny, that's all.. But of course, every word I utter is anti-Sachin as Teja would tell u..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I'm a bit stunned at the under rating of Akram tbh. Frankly he was heaps better than Waqar. That's not disparaging the latter but tells you how good Akram was. The big difference is that Waqar was predictable. The 2 deliveries Akram bowled at Lamb and Lewis (from memory) to win the wc (again from memory) perfectly represent his skill. You just didn't know what was coming next. Except you knew it was going to be good.

I once saw Akram make a dunce out of Greenidge. No other bowler did that. Yes he could be lazy but at his best Akram is the last bowler you'd want to face.
    Really disagree with this. Akram was definitely a more skillful bowler than Waqar, in that he could swing the ball both ways. But Waqar was definitely a yard faster, and was no less accurate. You only have to look at his wicket taking feats in the early years of his career to see how much of a nightmare bowler he was. When Pakistan toured NZ in 92/93 and 93/94, Waqar was definitely the one whom I feared the most as an NZ fan (although Wasim caused us plenty of pain as well).

Nowadays, I'd probably rate Wasim slightly above Waqar, because of his greater longevity (he was still carving through opposition batting lineups in the late 90's, by which stage Waqar was pretty much spent). But it's a lot closer than you make out. Both bowlers were terrific (although had different operating styles). Both made my childhood as an NZ cricket fan miserable. Both went on a few years too long. I know statistics aren't everything, but you only have to look at their records in the 1990's to see how difficult it is to split the two.

Wasim 60 matches, 272 wickets @ 21.73 and a sr of 49.1
    Average v Australia of 30.27

Waqar 56 matches, 273 wickets @ 21.71 SR of 43.4
    Average v Australia of 34.37
    Last edited by Bahnz; 09-05-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Debutant
    Fair enough. I favour Akram on his unpredictability. I think Waqar's eventual demise was down to sides working out his reverse trick.

Where did you get Akram's ave v Aus? I have him down for 13 tests all in the 90s and averaging 25.76.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information