• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top cricketers non-discussion thread

Players I've seen
Opening Batsman: SM Gavaskar
Middle Order: JH Kallis
All Rounder: JH Kallis
Wicket-keeper: AC Gilchrist
Fast Bowler: DW Steyn ( I have McGrath ahead but fairly confident Dale will end up the better bowler)
Spinner: SK Warne

the big bambino

International Captain
Of those I've seen

Opening Batsman: Barry Richards
Middle Order: Brian Lara
All Rounder: Garry sobers
Wicket-keeper: Alan Knott
Fast Bowler: Sylvester Clarke
Spinner: Shane Warne
Ok Fred I gotta ask. Even if its contravening the rules of this thread. Why Silly?

BeeGee

International Captain
Opening Batsman - B Richards
Middle Order Batsman - D Bradman
All Rounder - G Sobers
Wicketkeeper - A Knott
Fast Bowler - R Hadlee
Spinner - S Warne

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Howe referring to his all-time list I think.
Same reason: Australia been far too good for far too long and every name picked is more than good enough to be there. It just irks people that there are more Aussies than non-Aussies...which is just stupid to me. Best is best is best. If they were Pakistani and had the same story/record I'd name them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Opener: Cook
Middle order: Pietersen
All/rounder: Flintoff
Keeper: Prior
Fast bowler: Anderson
Spinner: Swann

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Best Captain - Stephen Fleming
Opening Batsmen - Sunil Gavaskar
Middle Order batsman - Viv Richards
Wicket Keeper - Jack Russell
All Rounder - Kallis
Fast Bowler - Joel Garner
Spin Bowler - Warne/Murali

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Okay peeps, I think now everyone who is going to contribute a sensible list has probably done so and with the odd exception it's been reasonably ordered.

So it's now time for a rule change.

You can now query other people's selections, statsmonger, and generally insult each other in the best traditions of Cricket Web.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Openers
Hobbs - 11
Hutton - 6
Gavaskar - 3
Grace - 2
Richards - 1

Middle Order
Bradman - 23

All Rounder
Sobers - 13
Miller - 3
Imran - 3
Kallis - 1
Hadlee - 1
Grace - 1
Procter - 1

Wicket Keeper
Knott - 13
Gilchrist - 7
Evans - 2
Ames - 1

Fast Bowler
Marshall - 12
Lillee - 4
Larwood - 3
Ambrose - 2
McGrath - 1
Hadlee - 1

Spin
Warne - 15
Murali - 6
O'Reilly - 2

Each of the catergories pretty convincingly won by Hobbs, Bradman, Sobers, Knott and Warne. Will check to see how many had that exact combination.

The one main gripe that I had with the voting is that most choose Knott as the best keeper over Gilchrist, while Knott wasn't even the best English keeper of his era but made the team over Taylor because of his batting. Similarily with Godfrey Evans and Les Ames who primarily made their squads because they were better with the bat that their competition. One can only go by the written word but the glove men spoken mose highly of were Tallon, Blackham, Hendricks, Russell, Engineeer and Healy.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
From contemporary accounts, Knott's keeping was outstanding iirc. Personally, purely on bowling, I think Murali has the edge over Warne. I'd probably take Warne first in an ATG side though, due to his batting+fielding.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The one main gripe that I had with the voting is that most choose Knott as the best keeper over Gilchrist, while Knott wasn't even the best English keeper of his era but made the team over Taylor because of his batting.
Not true. There was nothing to choose between them and Knott's batting swung it in his favour. This is not a case of picking an inferior wicketkeeper just because he could bat. In my opinion Knott was the better keeper and that's why I (and probably everyone else) chose him.

watson

Banned
The one main gripe that I had with the voting is that most choose Knott as the best keeper over Gilchrist, while Knott wasn't even the best English keeper of his era but made the team over Taylor because of his batting. Similarily with Godfrey Evans and Les Ames who primarily made their squads because they were better with the bat that their competition. One can only go by the written word but the glove men spoken mose highly of were Tallon, Blackham, Hendricks, Russell, Engineeer and Healy.
Ian Chappell, Geoff Boycott, Harold Bird and a whole bunch of other eye-witnesses would disagree with your assessment of Knott's keeping ability.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Never said Knott wasn't brilliant, but like Gilly he got the nood because he too was the better bat. I choose Gilly because batting for a keeper is half the job. And yes I acknowledge that Knotty was the better gloveman.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Opening Batsman - Gavaskar
Middle Order Batsman - Don Bradman
All Rounder - Imran Khan
Wicketkeeper - Adam Gilchrist
Fast Bowler - Malcolm Marshall
Spinner - Shane Warne

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Incidentally, dispite the large margins each of the catergories were won by, out of the 23 voters only 1, fusion chose the winning combination

MrPrez

International Debutant
Opening Batsman - Jack Hobbs
Middle Order Batsman - Don Bradman
All Rounder - Jacques Kallis
Wicketkeeper - Adam Gilchrist
Fast Bowler - Malcolm Marshall
Spinner - Shane Warne

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Opening Batsman - Solanki
Middle Order Batsman - Solanki