• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussey's retirement

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I find it strange on reflection. He seems like such a competitive bloke, who absolutely loves cricket.

He cited the old "wanting to spend more time with the family" reason for retiring, but he is currently in India playing for Chennai in the IPL. Fair enough too, as it's a lucrative cash earner. However, he always seemed to me to be so passionate about playing cricket for Australia that something doesn't add up. Surely he could have said to the selectors "I'm going to miss the India test series, and then make myself available for the Ashes if you need me".

I'd be so much more comfortable if he was in the team. He makes us a lot stronger. This looks competitive to me, especially with our bowling attack being strong...

- Cowan
- Rogers
- Warner
- Watson
- Clarke
- Hussey
- Haddin

Guess it's too late now, but does his retirement seem oddly timed to anyone else? Any truth to the rumours he had a massive fall-out with Clarke?

Last edited:

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Always thought there was more to his retirement than he let on but he's too much of a team man to put it out in the public arena.

Possibly a case of he wasn't loving the team environment or whatever so did legitimately feel like his time was better spent at home. Which wouldn't be surprising for a guy like him - if he wasn't totally into it then he'd notice a difference.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He's 37 with 4 kids FFS.

He has the option of back-to-back Ashes series that send him across the globe and around the country for 9 months a year, or he can play a 6 week tournament and shore up his financial position for much of the rest of his life.

I don't see why it's so hard to swallow that he wants to spend the most time with his young kids as possible - he's a dad first and cricketer second. The IPL is simply a bonus that gives him financial security for far less time spent away from his kids.

We always considered Huss a great "team man" and a fantastic servant of the game of cricket who so clearly loved it. Perhaps he loves his wife and kids too, and wants to be the absolute best father and husband he can be.

Red

He's 37 with 4 kids FFS.

He has the option of back-to-back Ashes series that send him across the globe and around the country for 9 months a year, or he can play a 6 week tournament and shore up his financial position for much of the rest of his life.

I don't see why it's so hard to swallow that he wants to spend the most time with his young kids as possible - he's a dad first and cricketer second. The IPL is simply a bonus that gives him financial security for far less time spent away from his kids.

We always considered Huss a great "team man" and a fantastic servant of the game of cricket who so clearly loved it. Perhaps he loves his wife and kids too, and wants to be the absolute best father and husband he can be.
You're right on the father and husband thing. Absolutely. It just seemed strange and sudden to me. And nowadays (correct me if I'm wrong) it's quite easy for wife and kids to travel with the players?

I just would've thought that the upcoming Ashes series in England would've been the perfect time for him to finish, win or loss.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hated the Gen Y dominance of the team, is what I've heard. The thought of touring with those muppets for months on end was too much, as it would be for any sane bloke.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
My mail is pretty much what Burgey said, Hussey was not on the same page as Clarke, even on his last test celebration night Clarke screwed him over, so the rumor goes anyway.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
And nowadays (correct me if I'm wrong) it's quite easy for wife and kids to travel with the players?
Just on this point - yeah, it is more accepted for wives and kids to go on tour, but it's pretty unsettling on the family. His kids would be hitting the age where they start primary school, and pulling them out to travel through England for 6 months probably isn't the greatest of ideas for their education. And who knows what commitments Amy has - dropping everything to stay with Mike would be nice, but isn't necessarily practical.

Red

Just on this point - yeah, it is more accepted for wives and kids to go on tour, but it's pretty unsettling on the family. His kids would be hitting the age where they start primary school, and pulling them out to travel through England for 6 months probably isn't the greatest of ideas for their education. And who knows what commitments Amy has - dropping everything to stay with Mike would be nice, but isn't necessarily practical.
Fair points.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think all the points made here are probably very valid.

Primary reason was for family, but for how sudden and out of the blue his announcement came it would be naive to think that he was happy in the current set up. I hope one day he writes an autobiography.....would be an excellent read I reckon.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Family reasons make sense, although I can see why people thought he wasn't getting along with the playing group.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Australia get smoked hard in back-to-back Ashes, I really wonder what it will do to Hussey's reputation. He no doubt has the right to retire whenever the **** he wants. But it will be interesting to see how he is remembered.

the big bambino

International Captain
I don't buy the team man, mr. cricket persona. I suspect he's a selfish guy and and his conduct in retiring confirms it. He clearly knew the selectors wanted to build the ashes challenges substantially around him and he did the dirty on them and the team. This in return for the myopic loyalty shown to him when he couldn't score a run.

No problems with him retiring and cashing up in the IPL. Just that he should have given selectors notice of his plans. Its pretty rank he didn't show as much respect for their plans as he did his. After all neither party would have been at a disadvantage if Hussey just had the courtesy to tell people he was going to retire alot earlier than he did.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't buy the team man, mr. cricket persona. I suspect he's a selfish guy and and his conduct in retiring confirms it. He clearly knew the selectors wanted to build the ashes challenges substantially around him and he did the dirty on them and the team. This in return for the myopic loyalty shown to him when he couldn't score a run.

No problems with him retiring and cashing up in the IPL. Just that he should have given selectors notice of his plans. Its pretty rank he didn't show as much respect for their plans as he did his. After all neither party would have been at a disadvantage if Hussey just had the courtesy to tell people he was going to retire alot earlier than he did.
My friend shares that view and is extremely strong on it. He has been saying Hussey is selfish for a while though and I used to tell him he's a dickhead but he had a big "told ya so" when Hussey retired in this fashion.

Didn't Hussey admit he didn't tell the selectors before the South African and Lankan series because he didn't want them to drop him and blood a youngster? He then said he also wanted to wait and be sure that he really wanted to retire, but I mean the fact he even gave a reason why he didn't tell the selectors shows it was a calculated move.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Here are the relevant parts of an interview that Hussey did a few weeks ago.

Michael Hussey: 'It was amazing going out there knowing you were going to win every time' | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Many have wondered why you kept the decision to yourself, though you knew for more or less the whole summer. Was it a case of not wanting to be persuaded otherwise?
It's a good question. I wanted to make sure myself, I wanted to see how I felt through the Australian summer. And my feelings certainly didn't change.

Partly why I didn't want to say anything to anyone was that I cherished every Test match I got to play, and I really wanted to finish the Australian summer. If I made it known earlier, perhaps they would start looking ahead earlier and not play me in my last couple of Tests. That was a small selfish part of it. I didn't want them to say, "You're going to retire, we'll blood someone else." Most of it, though, was making sure I was 100% sure about the decision.

You have mentioned struggling through your last two tours. The UAE-Sri Lanka trip, in particular, seemed a long time away without even a Test match to show for it.
I battled through that. I enjoyed the cricket. It's just the time that you're away. It's not a very good life balance, and if you're a young guy and you haven't got other responsibilities at home, then it probably wouldn't be as bad. And also if you hadn't done it for very long it wouldn't be as bad, because it's all new and exciting. But certainly after eight or ten years, it does wear you down after a while.

Lastly, this summer we saw a lot of tears, from Clarke, Ponting and yourself. So it felt like the end of something, of a tie with the past being cut. Did it feel that way to you?
Most of my emotions were happy ones. I felt like I'd achieved 100 times more than I'd ever have been able to in the international arena. I didn't want the stress and the anguish that comes with international cricket anymore. I didn't want the time away, and so I was excited about being home a lot more and being part of my family's life. I wanted to go out in Australia because I love the Australian summer, and the Sydney Test is unbelievable to play in, and I didn't feel like I needed to do any more. I didn't have to prove myself to anyone else or to myself. It would be great to have the Ashes, but I have won an Ashes series, so I didn't feel there was much left to achieve. It was a great time to go.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey's fears were well-founded as he was dumped from the ODI side immediately despite being available all summer

Anyway, what about Punter?

He's only 6 months older than Hussey and retired half way through the summer :laugh:

Get over it guys, he's retired and Clarke's subsequent behavior is hardly an incentive to return plus the only reason this is a topic on conversation is that Oz batting is ****

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As Sachin clearly appreciates as a professional sportsman you are a long time retired, and I suspect he'll do some looking over his shoulder in the coming months - still I'm pleased, the Ashes will be easier to hang onto with him batting in his back garden rather than on English Test grounds

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
As big a fan as I'm of Mike Hussey, the decision to retire came a bit out of the blue and did rub off as a bit selfish on his part. If he'd made up his mind on not being a part of the touring squads to India and England, he'd no business in playing the SL series and could have well hung his boots straight after the SA series thus giving some young blokes an opportunity to launch themselves against a relatively weaker opposition in the form of Sri Lanka.

Maybe he just hung on for the SL series to end on a high note, fearing that a bad run of scores in India or England could show him the door in an unceremonious fashion.

Always felt that he had the sword hanging on him to an extent way more than a batsman of his class deserved. Maybe that's what triggered the sudden decision.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Always felt that he had the sword hanging on him to an extent way more than a batsman of his class deserved. Maybe that's what triggered the sudden decision.
Yeah, he was never well respected by the fraternity. If he also had problems in the dressing room I can totally understand him retiring. He's still just so bloody good though. Easily the second best bat still in Australia.

burr

State Vice-Captain
He should have played 100 tests for Aus, such a class batsman. Never thought of him as particularly selfless though. And something's going on in with Clarke's captaincy in terms of man management. Needs to be addressed.