• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happened to the Chappell-Hadlee?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Was a bloody good rivalry while it lasted, mostly because we couldn't defend 350 without the spectre of Pidge.

What killed it? No money? Burnout? Overlap with IPL? 50-over game out of vogue?

Would sit still for a 5-match Twenty20 series even.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think in the end it was decided that there just wasn't enough time (and the series wasn't profitable enough) to smoosh an extra 3 ODI's into an already crowded summer calendar. You could see things heading that way when they decided to make the Oz vs Nz world cup fixture stand for the CH trophy in 2011.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
When did it officially stop? Was there an announcement/release confirming it was officially off? don't remember.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When did it officially stop? Was there an announcement/release confirming it was officially off? don't remember.
Nah, I don't remember one either. I don't think there ever was one. It just kind of faded away.

A shame - some of my all-time favourite ODIs were Chappell-Hadlee games, and I don't just mean the 330+ ones. This one was absolutely sensational.

And I always thought it meant a bit more than the average bilateral ODI series. Sure, Australia often rested players, but all the ones who played always seemed to be really up for it. Like here...

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden unlucky to miss out? Stats admittedly skewed by one preposterously big ton.