• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most underrated test innings??

Valer

First Class Debutant
81 M.J. Clarke 329* India Sydney 2012 Won 16.57
84 M.J. Clarke 151 South Africa Cape Town 2011 Lost 16.53
In what universe is the 329* actually a better innings?

Teja, I'm convinced Aus would have won both matches (and probably the ashes) without that 73*. Amazing batting.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner's 180. Yes India were shot, but look at 1. the other scores, 2. the conditions (was one of the greenest pitches in my lifetime) and 3. the speed of the innings.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Very surprised Ponting's magnum opus ranks at 159th. Even so I think his 156 match-saver at Old Trafford in 2005 would have breached the top 50. But formulae are formulae.

I also liked his second-innings ton against Bangladesh to win us the game by three wickets. Fleet Street would still be giving us **** if we'd lost that.

the big bambino

International Captain
If only Bishop had managed to stay healthy, he very well may have been in contention to be among the best, if not the best ever, he was that special.
Each to their own I suppose. Bishop stayed healthy enough to have a good run at test cricket. He was a great foil for Ambrose and cashed in on the pressure he built up. Without Ambrose he was definately beatable. Walsh and Bishop would be the best attack in the world now but back in the day they could not apply the pressure that Ambrose could. I'm guessing that Ambrose bowled so well that he actually lifted the standard of batting of those facing him. When absent it had a liberating effect on the batsmen no matter who else they faced.

Satyanash89

Banned
Don't forget him spreading the field to Boucher too.
Yeah, it was just spineless captaincy. I swear I could have choked him to death when he said he "was satisfied" with the drawn series. It's just a shame he won the world cup after that and I could never again completely hate him no matter what he did.

Yep. It was a **** of a pitch on a real Melbourne dog. Great knock. Incredible courage. I hope my Australocentrism hasn't influenced my opinion here. :ph34r:
I really don't think the Kim Hughes hundred can be called underrated. It's widely regarded as one of the all time great innings isn't it?

Trescothick's 180 at Johannesburg was just awesome and isn't mentioned as often as it should. Genuinely great, match winning innings. 180 out of a total of 330 in the second innings is an incredible effort. England were 222-6 at one stage leading by around 230 but Trescothick added 110 more with the tail to put England in control.

4th Test: South Africa v England at Johannesburg, Jan 13-17, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Inzamam's 92 here was great as well... Probably his finest innings.
2nd Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Port Elizabeth, Jan 19-22, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Spark

Global Moderator
In what universe is the 329* actually a better innings?

Teja, I'm convinced Aus would have won both matches (and probably the ashes) without that 73*. Amazing batting.
Impressive that Australia could win a game between India and SA

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very surprised Ponting's magnum opus ranks at 159th. Even so I think his 156 match-saver at Old Trafford in 2005 would have breached the top 50. But formulae are formulae.

I also liked his second-innings ton against Bangladesh to win us the game by three wickets. Fleet Street would still be giving us **** if we'd lost that.
The 80 odd he got at Headingly in 09 after we rolled England for about 100 or so was amazing. Ended the game as a contest in about 45 minutes.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
an innings that most wont remember, Michael Slater 106 vs West Indies in Trinidad 1999, on an absolute dog of a wicket, nobody got near a 100 in the whole match. Outfield seemed metres high, slow as hell, pitch up and down, WI made 51 in the 4th innings. Disgraceful match to watch, over rates and scoring rates were abysmal (Elliott 44 off 208 balls!), but Slats played a blinder. Ambrose and Walsh were unhittable for almost all their bowling spells.

Satyanash89

Banned
an innings that most wont remember, Michael Slater 106 vs West Indies in Trinidad 1999, on an absolute dog of a wicket, nobody got near a 100 in the whole match. Outfield seemed metres high, slow as hell, pitch up and down, WI made 51 in the 4th innings. Disgraceful match to watch, over rates and scoring rates were abysmal (Elliott 44 off 208 balls!), but Slats played a blinder. Ambrose and Walsh were unhittable for almost all their bowling spells.
Oooohhhh I remember that innings. Match was dead boring... Langer's runout of Lara is the only thing I remember apart from Slater's innings.

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
1) Sachin's and Laxman's 50 odd.. 2004 Mumbai Test..spin pitch at its best
2) Sanjay Bangar's 60 odd against Eng 2002..Showed excellent technique against the moving ball..
3) Dravid's 148 should be part of an educational video on how to bat in swinging conditions
4) Mark Richardson, Sachin and Dravid's 50's vs NZ 2002 series..
5) Twin 50's by Salim Malik..silky smooth batting
6) Sanjay Manjrekar's knocks in 89-90 Indo-Pak series..tough tough series..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My father goes on about this innings whenever someone mentions Slater. Or Langer for that matter.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. Lara was playing a bit of a classic before THAT run out by Langer too.. Think it was some new #3 who was batting with him and he made a half century too.. Pretty sure THAT was the reason the series was tied. No saying how the game would have gone had Langer not done that freak run out.